So, I had an old Squier Bullet laying about in my room and decided to get my chops wet with building a guitar. If all goes well with this rebuild I intend fully on building a guitar this summer.

I started by sanding off the original paint.

These were taken yesterday after about an hour into sanding, but I ended up finishing sanding it off today..which leads me to a question. I know that in '05, '06 and early '07 most bullets were made with plywood. I did some digging around and found out thanks to the serial number on the neck that mine was made in Indonesia in '04, I know that bullets are made out of basswood now..but what were they made of before the whole plywood thing started?

Image of the side if that helps at all.

A rough idea as to what I may paint it to look like.

Is there anything specific I should look for in paint before I go out and buy the wrong type? I already checked reranch and they didn't have the type of purple I'm looking for.

I plan on making a new pick guard for it with a piece of sheet aluminium that I had laying about, it should be cut out tomorrow I'll throw up a picture or two then. I'm also going to home depot tomorrow to look at some maple so I can make a new neck for the guitar, is there anything in specific I should be looking for?
That's plywood boss.
Gear
Fender Thinline Telecaster Deluxe

1983 Aria Pro II XX Deluxe Flying V

2007 S101 EGU34

1963 Kay Vanguard

1964 Kay Vanguard

AXL Badwater SRO

Hondo Strat

1974 Acoustic(brand) 134 4x10 combo

Epiphone Valve Jr.
Quote by chuckflan333
That's plywood boss.

I can't really say I'm too surprised, oh well no point in turning back from modding it anyway. Like I'd said before modding this guitar is just kind of a test run to see if I can build one over the summer.

Quote by amason51
just buy krylon

Okay, thank you very much.
Last edited by Nucksta at Jan 18, 2009,
By all means go for it. I'm in the process of redoing an old free plywood guitar.
Gear

2007 S101 EGU34

1963 Kay Vanguard

1964 Kay Vanguard

AXL Badwater SRO

Hondo Strat

Epiphone Valve Jr.
The squire necks usually arent too bad (there are deffinately exeptions to that) you can always upgrade the body later.
All the way on the right in the 2nd last pic, totally looks like plywood. At least thats what my strat copy looks like.
Gear

2007 S101 EGU34

1963 Kay Vanguard

1964 Kay Vanguard

AXL Badwater SRO

Hondo Strat

Epiphone Valve Jr.
Not always. It's really hard to tell.

OP, more pics of the cavity?
Gear

2007 S101 EGU34

1963 Kay Vanguard

1964 Kay Vanguard

AXL Badwater SRO

Hondo Strat

Epiphone Valve Jr.
I'll take some more pics of the cavities tomorrow, I've been going at them with a dremel sanding bit and there's still a tad bit of paint in them.

The neck that came with the guitar is fine, absolutely nothing wrong with it in the least, the only real reason I want to attempt to make the new neck for it is to see if I can. I figure if I botch the new one I can always just use the neck I already have for it. Is there anything specific I should look for in the wood when I go to home depot? I'm thinking of getting maple, but since this is my first time doing anything like this I'm not too sure of myself.
Home depot? They'll charge out the ass. Look in your yellow pages for lumber and check out on of those places. Much cheaper.
Gear

2007 S101 EGU34

1963 Kay Vanguard

1964 Kay Vanguard

AXL Badwater SRO

Hondo Strat

Epiphone Valve Jr.
**** chains and corporations!

:P
Gear

2007 S101 EGU34

1963 Kay Vanguard

1964 Kay Vanguard

AXL Badwater SRO

Hondo Strat

Epiphone Valve Jr.
Quote by chuckflan333
**** chains and corporations!

:P

Just so I don't seem like a complete tool, what exactly should I ask them for at the lumber yard? I'm assuming " a piece of maple I could build a guitar neck with" probably wouldn't go over too well with them.
I'm not too sure on exact dimensions, but once the guy tried to sell me a 7 ft piece of maple and that's all he would give me. Do you have access to a planer and a table saw?
Gear

2007 S101 EGU34

1963 Kay Vanguard

1964 Kay Vanguard

AXL Badwater SRO

Hondo Strat

Epiphone Valve Jr.
A table saw yes, I'm fairly sure my dad has a planer attachment for his dremel, finding it in his mess of tools is going to be a bitch though.
Nah, a planer is bigger than the piece of wood. You use it to make the wood thinner.
Gear

2007 S101 EGU34

1963 Kay Vanguard

1964 Kay Vanguard

AXL Badwater SRO

Hondo Strat

Epiphone Valve Jr.
Quote by ESP_Shreder
just ask for ~3bf of maple and specify your minimum dimensions

Righto, thanks good sir.
Quote by chuckflan333
By all means go for it. I'm in the process of redoing an old free plywood guitar.

Same, but not free.
I would cut the cutaways to make them go deeper on the fret board for better acess and cut them to make them look kind of like a SG. That would be nice...
I just got back from a shopping trip, I checked two local lumber yards for maple, each of them quoted me over $40 for the ammount I asked. After the lumber yards I went to home depot where I found this.

It isn't quite thick enough to make a neck out of in one piece so I'd probably end up buying 7 or 8 feet of it and just doubling it up then planing it down to the level I need, if I do buy it that is. Right next to the maple I found this beautiful piece of poplar.

Which leads me to a question, would it be possible to make a decent neck out of poplar? I think it's a stunning looking wood, but I'm not sure how it would work for a neck.

I also headed over to Advance Auto and bought myself some Krylon paints.

I'm about to go cut the new pickguard and set up an area where it would be possible for me to start painting, more pictures to come when I'm done.
dude..... don't do it horizontally. I think that's what your doing.... that's wrong. Look everyones sections of wood they use for neck. they're vertical, all the way down. I use 4/4 maple. It works well.
Quote by ESP_Shreder
dude..... don't do it horizontally. I think that's what your doing.... that's wrong. Look everyones sections of wood they use for neck. they're vertical, all the way down. I use 4/4 maple. It works well.

Wood is both horizontal and verticle..or are you talking about the way I took the pictures? Or am I being amazingly dense and missing what you're saying?

Edit: By 4/4 maple do you mean a maple 4x4 or...?
Last edited by Nucksta at Jan 19, 2009,
Just now finished cutting out the new aluminum pickguard, I think it went pretty well personally. I just need to sand the sides down a bit more and polish her up a bit.

Next step is to start painting the body tomorrow.
Last edited by Nucksta at Jan 19, 2009,
Nothing major today, just got the primer down.

I'm still a bit unsure as to what Esp_Shredder meant when he said I was doing the neck horizontal though , and as to what 4/4 maple is.
Last edited by Nucksta at Jan 20, 2009,
cant make a neck out of poplar, and the home depot maple is not really maple, its called Box Elder, and it is utterly the most useless wood known to man unless you find pink-stripes in it or its a burl. its incredibly soft and you can break it with your hands.
I suppose it's time to look about for a lumber yard where I just don't get blank stares when I say I'm trying to make a guitar neck and need a piece of maple that would work =s.
Ah, that clears things up quite a bit then, thanks a lot. When I ask them about the 4/4 maple, would I pronounce it 4,4? That's what I've been doing and usually the person just stares at me for a second and points me in the direction of someone else who tells me they have no idea what I'm talking about.
You sir are my hero, now I can ask for wood without looking like a complete tool.
yeah you are gonna have to buy alot of it at a time, i would take that piece of wood back to home depot, both of them. alot of maple is usually 20-40 bucks but you get enough for like 3-5 necks.
It looks like he didn't buy it, just took a picture at home depot.
Gear

2007 S101 EGU34

1963 Kay Vanguard

1964 Kay Vanguard

AXL Badwater SRO

Hondo Strat

Epiphone Valve Jr.
Like chuck said, I just took the pictures at home depot so I could ask about them and have a visual in case I described something wrong. I'll start calling up the few local lumber yards tomorrow and see what they can quote me. Much thanks again.