View poll results: would you donate your organs
yes
53 72%
no
10 14%
undecided
10 14%
Voters: 74.
I thought of Seven Pounds when I read the thread title.

Now I'm sad you mofo!
funkyducky

Icing happen when de puck come down, BANG, you know,
before de oder guys, nobody dere, you know.
My arm go comme ça, den de game stop den start up.

Quote by daytripper75
Get To Da Choppa!
If im dead - yeah why not - i can live on in some way and mildly control the body of (maybe) a hot woman!
Or i will donate myself to a Body Farm and solve murders from beyond the grave.....cause y'know....im cool like that!
I regularly donate blood, will look into other forms of donation including platelets when I get round to it, and I have a donor card. I'm donating all my organs after my death.

It's all good.
Yes, they can have whatever organ they want providing I am dead first.

Quote by Craigo
I regularly donate blood, will look into other forms of donation including platelets when I get round to it.

Same here.
Quote by FrenchyFungus

Awww, thanks Frenchy

Quote by Cobain_Is_King
I got a packet of Love Hearts when I was six and every one said 'You Have a Tiny Penis'

Hate humans? Click here
Last edited by thedudemeister at Jan 18, 2009,
Ya I registered as an organ donor.

I think that if you're not willing to donate organs then you shouldn't receive them. I also think you're an asshole if you don't. You have no need of them when you are dead, there is no disadvantage to you.
"Why should we subsidise intellectual curiosity?"
-Ronald Reagan

"Knowledge is in every country the surest basis of public happiness."
-George Washington
I'm a registered organ donor. There really doesn't need to be an ONLY thread for this; it's not like everyone is jumping out of their seats to talk about organ donation.
Quote by Arthur Curry
it's official, vintage x metal is the saving grace of this board and/or the antichrist

e-married to
theguitarist
minterman22
tateandlyle
& alaskan_ninja

I would.

Once I'm dead, they're no use to me.
Quote by srvguitarrulez
I heard someone say that Fall Out Boy had amazing guitarwork. But, it was a 13 year old girl, so it didn't matter.
Quote by Lespauljames
how much blood do you donate?

Pint every 3-4 months.
Quote by FrenchyFungus

Awww, thanks Frenchy

Quote by Cobain_Is_King
I got a packet of Love Hearts when I was six and every one said 'You Have a Tiny Penis'

Hate humans? Click here
Quote by Ur all $h1t
Ya I registered as an organ donor.

I think that if you're not willing to donate organs then you shouldn't receive them. I also think you're an asshole if you don't. You have no need of them when you are dead, there is no disadvantage to you.

i don't have a problem with people not wanting to do it.

i mean some people just aren't comfortable with it for whatever reason. there are also certain religious groups that disagree with organ donation.

so like i said, i don't have a problem with people not doing it.
Quote by daytripper75

i mean some people just aren't comfortable with it for whatever reason. there are also certain religious groups that disagree with organ donation.

Neither of which is logical though.
I'm 16, a blood donor, and am signed as an organ donor. If you're dead, why do you need your organs, especially if they could save someones life? I know that if i was going to die, id take an organ, so I'd like to help out and do my part if something should happen to me.
“Any other day I’d say no, but today I’m gonna go ahead and just say no.”

-Dr. Cox
There is no major religious group in the UK which opposes organ donation. Out of the major world religions, only small sects (Jehovas Witness, possibly a few others) have a problem with it.

We should have an opt-out system, rather than an opt-in one.

I'm an organ donor but haven't had the chance to give blood, due to recently getting a piercing.
Quote by HunterRiggs10
Your post completes me.

Quote by mrwaffles
I think you've won this thread.

Quote by freedoms_stain
darthteet just scored big on the win scale.
I'm an organ donor, they can have everything when I die. No reason not to really.
there is no fear in this heart.

Quote by ETHANEVIL
How am I being or trying to be fabulous/glamorous?

Quote by darthteet
There is no major religious group in the UK which opposes organ donation. Out of the major world religions, only small sects (Jehovas Witness, possibly a few others) have a problem with it.

We should have an opt-out system, rather than an opt-in one.

I'm an organ donor but haven't had the chance to give blood, due to recently getting a piercing.

Judaism is against organ donation.

On topic though, I will donate all my body parts, I'm dead so I have no use for them.

I think that anyone who doesn't donate organs is moronic, there is no need to keep them.

EDIT: by all my body parts I mean if my organs are still ok then they can be given for donation to patients, and the rest of me can go to medical science.
Supreme Commander Of The Lolcats Of the UG Army

And that guy, who had that idea, one time

╠═══════╬═══════╣

THE SIMIAN σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣
Last edited by Boogie Man at Jan 18, 2009,
Quote by daytripper75
according to my driver's license, i am an organ donor.

Are you McLovin?
I'm Luke.
Quote by daytripper75

Perhaps they'd be less uncomfortable if their getting an organ depended on at least being down for organ donation.
I have a cousin who has Cystic fibrosis. Her life depends on someone donating her a new pair of lungs, yet every day people die and their organs rot in the ground because they were too uncomfortable with it. My cousin is very uncomfortable with the prospect of death in her 20s.

I know which one isn't a stupid thing to be uncomfortable about.
"Why should we subsidise intellectual curiosity?"
-Ronald Reagan

"Knowledge is in every country the surest basis of public happiness."
-George Washington
Quote by Ur all $h1t
Perhaps they'd be less uncomfortable if their getting an organ depended on at least being down for organ donation.
I have a cousin who has Cystic fibrosis. Her life depends on someone donating her a new pair of lungs, yet every day people die and their organs rot in the ground because they were too uncomfortable with it. My cousin is very uncomfortable with the prospect of death in her 20s.

I know which one isn't a stupid thing to be uncomfortable about.

**** dude, that sucks, this is really the main sort of problem I have with people not donating, someone else has to die because of it, it's complete bull****, ****ing criminal, we really need an opt out system rather than an opt in.

╠═══════╬═══════╣

╠═══════╬═══════╣
I donate blood, I'm not an organ donor because that makes doctors less likely to save you should you come into the ER in critical condition, in the US at least they make more money if they can provide transplant organs. I'm not saying all doctors do this, but I'm not risking it.
make Industrial and/or experimental electronic music? Join my group!

Last.fm
Quote by Boogie Man
Judaism is against organ donation.

This is news to me. Do you have a source? Is it major sects or just some minor ones that have a problem with it?

There are very, very fews Jews in my country (Scotland) so I wouldn't see this as a problem.

Quote by Kid_Thorazine
I donate blood, I'm not an organ donor because that makes doctors less likely to save you should you come into the ER in critical condition, in the US at least they make more money if they can provide transplant organs. I'm not saying all doctors do this, but I'm not risking it.

Do you have any evidence that "doctors less likely to save you should you come into the ER in critical condition", or did you just pull it out of your ass?
Quote by HunterRiggs10
Your post completes me.

Quote by mrwaffles

Quote by freedoms_stain
Last edited by darthteet at Jan 18, 2009,
Quote by darthteet
This is news to me. Do you have a source? Is it major sects or just some minor ones that have a problem with it?

I believe it's all sects of Judaism, comes from the belief that on judgement day you rise in your body, so if necessary parts are missing it wont work.

The source I got it from is Living Religion 3rd edition, it's my yr12 Studies of Religion textbook.

EDIT: I'm just reading on it, apparently the main sect still believing in bodily ressurection is Orthodox, I suppose Chassidic would believe it as well, were as reform, or whatever you want to call it, believe in ressurection of the soul, not the body.

╠═══════╬═══════╣

╠═══════╬═══════╣
Quote by Boogie Man
I believe it's all sects of Judaism, comes from the belief that on judgement day you rise in your body, so if necessary parts are missing it wont work.

The source I got it from is Living Religion 3rd edition, it's my yr12 Studies of Religion textbook.

EDIT: I'm just reading on it, apparently the main sect still believing in bodily ressurection is Orthodox, I suppose Chassidic would believe it as well, were as reform, or whatever you want to call it, believe in ressurection of the soul, not the body.

Are Orthodox and Chassidic Jews the majority? Do they not know that bodies decompose anyway?

Are these two sects of Judaism large enough to potentially influence organ donation laws? (When taken as part of an entire society)
Quote by HunterRiggs10
Your post completes me.

Quote by mrwaffles

Quote by freedoms_stain
Quote by darthteet
Are Orthodox and Chassidic Jews the majority? Do they not know that bodies decompose anyway?

Are these two sects of Judaism large enough to potentially influence organ donation laws? (When taken as part of an entire society)

Orthodox and Chassidic jews make up something like 30% of the overall population, but I doubt they could influence any laws, its possible, but I doubt it would occur, even if every jew were aganst organ donation they couldn't achieve much if you consider that they only have a worldwide population of 18 million, and the population is pretty spread out.

EDIT: I've been misspelling chasidic, it only has one s.

╠═══════╬═══════╣

╠═══════╬═══════╣
Quote by Boogie Man
Orthodox and Chassidic jews make up something like 30% of the overall population, but I doubt they could influence any laws, its possible, but I doubt it would occur, even if every jew were aganst organ donation they couldn't achieve much if you consider that they only have a worldwide population of 18 million, and the population is pretty spread out.

So only ~70% of Jews don't have a problem with organ donation? So a statement like 'none of the major world religions oppose organ donations' is still reasonably accurate, since only small minority sects are against it?
Quote by HunterRiggs10
Your post completes me.

Quote by mrwaffles

Quote by freedoms_stain
Quote by darthteet

Do you have any evidence that "doctors less likely to save you should you come into the ER in critical condition", or did you just pull it out of your ass?

it's been known to happen.

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/02/27/us/27transplant.html?_r=1

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2007/09/12/AR2007091202681.html

Quote by darthteet
So only ~70% of Jews don't have a problem with organ donation? So a statement like 'none of the major world religions oppose organ donations' is still reasonably accurate, since only small minority sects are against it?

That's not entirely accurate, there are mainstream Jews and Christians who are against it for religious reasons as well, you can't just arbitrarily slpit people into sects with devisive issues like that.
make Industrial and/or experimental electronic music? Join my group!

Last.fm
Last edited by Kid_Thorazine at Jan 18, 2009,
Quote by darthteet

yeah, I wasn't disputing that idea, it's just that Judaism, a reasonably major world religion is traditionally speaking against it.

╠═══════╬═══════╣

╠═══════╬═══════╣
Quote by Kid_Thorazine
it's been known to happen.

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/02/27/us/27transplant.html?_r=1

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2007/09/12/AR2007091202681.html

That's not entirely accurate, there are mainstream Jews and Christians who are against it for religious reasons as well, you can't just arbitrarily slpit people into sects with devisive issues like that.

The first link- the doctor had been charged, nothing more. We'd need to wait till after the trial. Also, a single case isn't representative of surgeons. Image if that doctor is found guilty, consider the amount of surgeons globally and the amount of procedures happening daily. Is it worth not being an organ donor for that one in a 10 million* chance that you might have your death sped up? Is the second link the same case?

*I don't have the statistics, so I picked a number to emphase my point.

If a person is catholic, would it be unreasonable to assume that said person has the religious beliefs of catholicism? Catholicism isn't against organ donation.

Catholic - holds tenants of catholicism -- not against organ donation.

No?

Quote by Boogie Man
yeah, I wasn't disputing that idea, it's just that Judaism, a reasonably major world religion is traditionally speaking against it.

Even though that group is a minority? Regardless of what a religion may traditionally be, it is more important to consider what a religion currently is, no?
Quote by HunterRiggs10
Your post completes me.

Quote by mrwaffles

Quote by freedoms_stain
Quote by darthteet
The first link- the doctor had been charged, nothing more. We'd need to wait till after the trial. Also, a single case isn't representative of surgeons. Image if that doctor is found guilty, consider the amount of surgeons globally and the amount of procedures happening daily. Is it worth not being an organ donor for that one in a 10 million* chance that you might have your death sped up? Is the second link the same case?

*I don't have the statistics, so I picked a number to emphase my point.

If a person is catholic, would it be unreasonable to assume that said person has the religious beliefs of catholicism? Catholicism isn't against organ donation.

Catholic - holds tenants of catholicism -- not against organ donation.

No?

Even though that group is a minority? Regardless of what a religion may traditionally be, it is more important to consider what a religion currently is, no?

Yeah, but you were listing some that were agaisnt it, I was just adding another one to that list.

╠═══════╬═══════╣

╠═══════╬═══════╣