I got an Epi SG400 this week and I love it. (I dropped a Gibson 57 Classic humbucker in the neck position.) I tried a USA Gibson SG faded and I actually liked my Epi better. Am I nuts? I wouldn't pay $1400 for a Standard USA SG.

I have played Fender Strats throughout the years. I suppose that's like saying I like the Squier Strats better than the USA Highway 1's.
The Faded series is awful in my opinion. Overpriced and overrated. I agree, I think if you take the SG400 and put some Grover tuning pegs in it and another pickup then you have a much much better guitar, not saying that it isn't already.
well i've never played tha gibson... but i do have an epi sg g400. it's amazing. and it's extremely cheap... i got mine for 300.
The SG 400 I got came with Grovers for $109 at a Pawn Shop. All black in near mint condition.
Last edited by Siciliano at Jan 18, 2009,
maybe they do come with the Grovers, im not overly familiar with the product.

I did play one, and was impressed with it for the price and all
Quote by Siciliano
I got an Epi SG400 this week and I love it. (I dropped a Gibson 57 Classic humbucker in the neck position.) I tried a USA Gibson SG faded and I actually liked my Epi better. Am I nuts? I wouldn't pay $1400 for a Standard USA SG.

I have played Fender Strats throughout the years. I suppose that's like saying I like the Squier Strats better than the USA Highway 1's.

not really the highway 1 is like a studioish les paul.( I know we are talking about sgs but these are easier to compare) so you would compare with mexican stratocasters and there is a few type of high end squires that beat low end mexicans
Fender Telecaster
Squire Vintage Modified '70s bass
Quote by Siciliano

The faded series is the lowest end of Gibson. But you're also paying for the name on the headstock and the fact that it's made in America. Think about it, Gibson isn't going to use the best wood on their faded guitars. They use the worst wood they get in their faded guitars because they use the better wood for their higher end stuff. They also don't spend as much time on individual instruments like they do on a $3000 Les Paul. Don't judge Gibson by by their lowest end stuff.

Highway One strats aren't even american, I believe they're MIM strats with different frets and finishes.
Quote by JELIFISH19

Highway One strats aren't even american, I believe they're MIM strats with different frets and finishes.

Nah, there made in America but if you think about it are made out of the worst woods in the factory. But yeah, The MIM and Highway Ones i believe play and feel the same, just ones made in America and the other is made 30 miles away, in Mexico.