This is a continuation of my old thread
https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=938164

So I wrote a new song, less cheesy, and I'm still interested as to what is considered sweet and what is a little too overdone to be appreciated. The first song in in the thread above (please read the first post before posting in here). Overall from that thread I got that for the most part, it would be appreciated if a girl wrote a cheesy song for a guy, since it's the thought that counted. Other said it was a somewhat awkward notion, and some middled with appreciation only going to a good song.

This thread is to add another aspect: does a less cheesy song make it any better? Worse? Does adding in the words 'I love you' instantly make a song fail or does it benefit the song? Should girls just not write love songs altogether? (.. the last one isn't serious, in case you were too much of a dumbfuck to realize )

oh, link to new song
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PlALHu05oOk
I don't care much as to what you think of the song itself (well I do, but not in this case) since that's not the discussion, so er.. try to veer away from that. On topic por favor
Quote by Arthur Curry
it's official, vintage x metal is the saving grace of this board and/or the antichrist

e-married to
theguitarist
minterman22
tateandlyle
& alaskan_ninja

Last edited by vintage x metal at Jan 18, 2009,
What do mean, "Should girls not write love songs altogether?" You sexist!

.. the last one isn't serious, in case you were too much of a dumb**** to realize

...****
RAZZLEFRAZZLE
Oh My God! It's A Girl! On The Interwebz! Gtfo! Before You Rip A Hole In The Time Space Continuum!

Proud member of the LGBTQQ group.
Quote by david9d5
Oh My God! It's A Girl! On The Interwebz! Gtfo! Before You Rip A Hole In The Time Space Continuum!

Shut up.
Quote by Arthur Curry
it's official, vintage x metal is the saving grace of this board and/or the antichrist

e-married to
theguitarist
minterman22
tateandlyle
& alaskan_ninja

I'm too embarrassed to do that lol.
Her friends are gazing on her,
And on her gaudy bier,
And weep!-oh! to dishonor
Dead beauty with a tear!
They loved her for her wealth-
And they hated her for her pride-
But she grew in feeble health,
And they love her-that she died.
Quote by woMANintheBOX19
I'm too embarrassed to do that lol.

Yeah, I dunno, I've been a little embarrassed to put anything up or send anything since a few posts in the last thread..
Quote by Arthur Curry

e-married to
theguitarist
minterman22
tateandlyle
& alaskan_ninja

Quote by vintage x metal
Yeah, I dunno, I've been a little embarrassed to put anything up or send anything since a few posts in the last thread..

You have a nice voice though
And on her gaudy bier,
Dead beauty with a tear!
Quote by woMANintheBOX19
You have a nice voice though

Thanks, heh
Quote by Arthur Curry

e-married to
theguitarist
minterman22
tateandlyle
& alaskan_ninja

Beautifully done...Promoting yourself without promoting yourself

You sounded great...Kinda hard to veer away from.

__.-~~~~-.|___|___|__
_/********\_|___|___|
|*/**\**/**`~~~~~-.__
||****|**0*********@_
||****|***.********|_
\|****|***\*******/__
_\****/**/`~~~~~~`|__
_('--'""`)__|___|___|
Quote by Jesus
LedDaveZeppelin, You are so awesome.
That was cheesier than listening to the Pokemon theme song from the first Pokemon movie. You know which one I'm talking about. As if the song needed an extra verse, pffft you gotta be sh*tting me.

You have a cute voice btw.
Last edited by metaldud536 at Jan 18, 2009,
Quote by david9d5

ROFL

and you do sound great vintage. deffinitely nothing to be embarrased about.
Heh, thanks everyone; you guys are sweet. I did want an actual discussion though
Quote by Arthur Curry

e-married to
theguitarist
minterman22
tateandlyle
& alaskan_ninja

Quote by vintage x metal
Heh, thanks everyone; you guys are sweet. I did want an actual discussion though

If a guy wrote a love song for me, I'd love it no matter how cheesy it was. I'd think it was the most adorable thing ever.
And on her gaudy bier,
Dead beauty with a tear!
Quote by vintage x metal

Alright here's my discussion to your questions. The level of cheesiness a person can take varies from person to person. I can take a good amount of cheese (power metal) without making an asian face.

Now as for putting "I love you" in lyrics. It really depends. I think the song would be good if there was good literary devices used and intellectual grammar and adding "I love you" wouldn't kill it. Maybe if it was whispered instead of sung, it might be better. Of course you gotta limit how much "I love yous" you throw in.
Quote by vintage x metal
Does adding in the words 'I love you' instantly make a song fail or does it benefit the song? Should girls just not write love songs altogether?

actually, it's proven that majority of the songs that become 'big' or popular are actually love songs in some kinda aspect. and in my opinion, it doesnt matter if a guy or girl wrote it. it's still the same emotion, just from different points of view.
Quote by woMANintheBOX19
If a guy wrote a love song for me, I'd love it no matter how cheesy it was. I'd think it was the most adorable thing ever.

Same, heh, but I'm still pretty critical of my own, so I dont know. I think if anyone put their time into creating something for me, I'd be really pleased

Quote by metaldud536
Alright here's my discussion to your questions. The level of cheesiness a person can take varies from person to person. I can take a good amount of cheese (power metal) without making an asian face.

Now as for putting "I love you" in lyrics. It really depends. I think the song would be good if there was good literary devices used and intellectual grammar and adding "I love you" wouldn't kill it. Maybe if it was whispered instead of sung, it might be better. Of course you gotta limit how much "I love yous" you throw in.

Heh, unless you WANT an asianface..
It does depend, but then you wonder.. those crappy love songs you hear on the radio probably meant the world to whomever it was for

Quote by FenderPhone
actually, it's proven that majority of the songs that become 'big' or popular are actually love songs in some kinda aspect. and in my opinion, it doesnt matter if a guy or girl wrote it. it's still the same emotion, just from different points of view.

Well said.
Quote by Arthur Curry

e-married to
theguitarist
minterman22
tateandlyle
& alaskan_ninja

I don't know how to feel, saadia. I'm not used to being called the sweetest thing.

Swedish thing on the other hand...
████████████████████████████
███████████████████████████
█████████████████████████
██████████████████████████
Quote by Kensai
I don't know how to feel, saadia. I'm not used to being called the sweetest thing.

Swedish thing on the other hand...

Sweeter than a Danish?

Quote by Arthur Curry

e-married to
theguitarist
minterman22
tateandlyle
& alaskan_ninja

^ *Slaps knees*

Great, now I'm hungry.
I tend to have that effect on people.
Quote by Arthur Curry

e-married to
theguitarist
minterman22
tateandlyle
& alaskan_ninja

I'm going to name it Saadia-munchies.
Quote by Arthur Curry

e-married to
theguitarist
minterman22
tateandlyle
& alaskan_ninja