I'm just wondering if I'm the only one who plays a D chord by barring the 2nd fret and using my ring finger for the third fret. I know I can't be the one and only, but of all the guitarists in my school and videos I have seen, no one else does. I'm just curious, so humor me, please?
This is a boring signature. Deal with it.
i do...cuz i can drop my finger thats on the 3rd fret and bar the 2nd and 1st string

ex

to
Quote by Valid12891
I wish I had an extra sensitive third nipple, and a girl who was into that sort of thing.

Quote by _Ixnay_
In Russia, Winter Cold + Vodka + Big-Chested Women = No problem.

Book of shadows 2?
O_o
Last edited by fretsofthebeast at Jan 18, 2009,
yes...your very alone.

nah actually I do that sometimes. Only on Right handed guitars (Cause I'm a lefty)
Tonight, we stagger out from the basement...

I'm sick of not having the courage to be an absolute nobody.

...Or fall to our deaths from above
I don't but my teacher soes so I think you're alrigth
Rag Mop Do Do Duh DoDo Dedo Do!!!!!

R_A_G_G_M_O_P_P

RAGMOP
Wow... you're a freak.
I can honestly say I have really been far even as decided to use even go want to do look more like.

I don't always post on UG, but when I do, I post in the Pit. Stay thirsty my friends.
i do that. its easier than how most people play it
Quote by binary-ghost
i really wish i had pics to proove it... i just realized how immensely unbelievable this is but... i promise you... he was doing something to the dogs crotch with his face..
I do that. I just find it easier than squeezing my fingers together for the more traditional fingering.
i bar my Dmajor by using index on the 2nd fret, and my middle on the 2nd string, 3rd fret. i can do it the right way too, but i like doing it my way.
You're not alone... I'm right behind you. o_o

In all seriousness though, I don't do that.
Quote by Arthur Curry
it's official, vintage x metal is the saving grace of this board and/or the antichrist

e-married to
theguitarist
minterman22
tateandlyle
& alaskan_ninja

the problem with that is when you want to throw a Dadd9 or sus2 whatever it's called.
For a D chord I use a different finger for the E, B, and G strings.
My Last.fm
USA Fender Stratocaster | Roland Cube 60 | VOX ToneLab LE
I usually do it the "crammed" way, cause thats how I learned and its just second nature, but your way seems easier.
Quote by bucktheduck

Call me troll, call me psychopath. In the end, I shall stand above you all as you drown in a pool of sex and filth. It will explode your corrupted bodies, and I will walk above the wreckage as a pure man.

Quote by DieGarbageMan

Haggard13 i are impressed
me too, then i take my middle finger away and i have DM7
BE HAPPY

Quote by ajmasterjaydude
so this kid at my school microwaved brussel sprouts for lunch, and when he was about to eat them one of them exploded on his face and burned him. i like turtles

in a thread about malmsteen^
If i ever play an open D major chord, which is rare for jazz and blues, I use my thumb to hit the F# on the low e, and then use standard fingering for the rest of the open D. THis makes it easy to drop my finger off of the F# on the high E, so I can switch between D and Dadd9.
Quote by Homestyle_Joe
I'm just wondering if I'm the only one who plays a D chord by barring the 2nd fret and using my ring finger for the third fret. I know I can't be the one and only, but of all the guitarists in my school and videos I have seen, no one else does. I'm just curious, so humor me, please?

I sometimes do that, but now I just do it the normal most usual way.
Quote by fretsofthebeast
i do...cuz i can drop my finger thats on the 3rd fret and bar the 2nd and 1st string

ex

to

I thought that was what pinkies are for?
BRIAN. SCHNEIDER.
I never thought so many people would have adopted this unusual fingering. Myself, I use three fingers for the D open chords as I find when transitioning between chords that barring is more likely to make it buzz... and using three fingers gives me more control.