Page 1 of 2
ok heres the deal. i went out and got this stupid expensive amp wich i haooen to love but i also love playin thru headphones. its a b-52 at-100 head that has a line out jack next to the loudspeaker jacks. i need to know if its safe to plug headphones into the jack like you can with a line 6 or other practise amps with line outs. im afraid if it dosent work it will blow the headphones and the amp.
it'll work fine, that's what line outs are for.

so long as you don't plug it into the speaker extension output then its cool.
Quote by joshsirjoshules
Once again...it's the NME, they're notorious for being dumbasses. I know that, and I live in Texas for Christ's sake!

"If you think you've got it, shove it out, run it up the flagpole, and see who salutes it."
I'm no expert but I'm fairly sure on tube amps you can only put headphones in a jack specifically marked.I think the impedance on the headphones ****s the amp up.
But like I said,I'm no expert....I don't even have a tube amp
Seagulls,the chicken of the ocean.

Originally posted by Gunpowder:
Everyone just jumps on the bandwagon and gives the same advice in these situations. You know what? I'm going to be different. Call the firemen.
Quote by rock_guitargod
it'll work fine, that's what line outs are for.

so long as you don't plug it into the speaker extension output then its cool.

No, line outs are for recording directly from the amp.
so its not safe than? i checked the manual and it didnt say anything about it. and its switchable between 4 8 and 16 ohms
Quote by Themilkmaker
so its not safe than? i checked the manual and it didnt say anything about it. and its switchable between 4 8 and 16 ohms

You have a 100W tube head and you don't know what that is for?
Quote by AcousticLesPaul

You have a 100W tube head and you don't know what that is for?

good point. i baught it when i was young and stupid but i descided i liked it so whatever. i was just wondering if the line out could be used to play thru the headphones. if not, owuld i be able to buy a relay cheap interface for the pc and than use headphones thru the comp?
Quote by Themilkmaker
good point. i baught it when i was young and stupid but i descided i liked it so whatever. i was just wondering if the line out could be used to play thru the headphones. if not, owuld i be able to buy a relay cheap interface for the pc and than use headphones thru the comp?

You could run the lineout into your computer. Most sound cards have a line-in feature.

BUT...You still have to have a speaker load with a tube amp. You'd be better off just buying a POD or something similar for headphone use.
i have a line 6 but i want that beutiful tube tone thru my headphones. thanks for the help guys il probably send them an email, cheers.
That amp has a line-level output control as well.
yes, shud be a nob that control the output level from the line out or its auto balanced which mines its designed for headphones ir recording direct ect..
Quote by joshsirjoshules
Once again...it's the NME, they're notorious for being dumbasses. I know that, and I live in Texas for Christ's sake!

"If you think you've got it, shove it out, run it up the flagpole, and see who salutes it."
what do i do? lower tha output so it dosent fry the headphones? if it dosent work the amp should survive as long as i keep the cab pluged in right?
the utput will control the amount of level going out so put it to whatever u want the volume out, yeh leave the cab plugged in just turn the master volume down
Quote by joshsirjoshules

its a balanced line out its designed to work with headphones and stuff the only outputs restricted to ohm's are the ones for the cabs! it want fry your headphones!
Quote by joshsirjoshules

Quote by Themilkmaker
what does that mean? can i use it than?

Yea. Try your head-phones with the line level set low... and then turn it up to the right level... or plug it into your line-in on your computer and use the headphones off of that.
Quote by Themilkmaker
what do i do? lower tha output so it dosent fry the headphones? if it dosent work the amp should survive as long as i keep the cab pluged in right?

It probably wont "fry" it.. but it'll sound like ass if it's too loud.
If you go into your computer, check the line level in your sound cards control panel... keep it off the red (that's when the sound distorts)
Quote by Themilkmaker
yea but if the omhs or whatever is to much for the headphones than im efed

that has nothing to do with the line level.
Quote by Themilkmaker
what color would a line in jack be on a computer, and is it 8th inch?

Don't go by that. get the manual for the computer.. or sound card - google that ish.

and ya, 1/8" stereo jack.
i got the computer costome made (not high end just not brand name) and by the looks of it the sound card is o the motherboard. il look it up thanks for the help.
i dont know if it would work for a 100 watt amp but weber makes an external headphone jack. the only reason i know about it is someone on here recomended it for my fender blues jr.
The $10,000 question is do you want to kill the speakers sound and just hear the headphones?
how does it work and do you recoment it?
EDIT: sorry i didnt specify, i do want to kill the speakers for the headphones.
Last edited by Themilkmaker at Jan 18, 2009,
jeez $250, i would pay the 65 for the 50 watt version but thats rediculouse. maby il try to get a cheap interface for my comp and run it thru that.
I posted that for a reason. If you want that crank tube tone then you will need something that has the line out and handle the power of that 100w amp. At that point you can disconnect the cab(in theory)because you have the speaker load covered.

Granted the tap has a 50w but anyone running an attenuator will tell you 1.5 - 1 ratio. Not enough for this amp.
crap looks like il be using the line 6 a little more often than id like. il figure somthing out thanks for the help guys.
Are ya handy with a soldering iron? I could send you the schematics..... I was working on my line out/headphone tap, it works but still needs mods, but just way easy to tweak. With this I don't use my headphones.

Parts are going to be $40.00 for the adjustable speaker volume pot(100+watts), $16.00 for the one resistor(good quality), $6.00 for the switchcraft jacks, $20.00 for the enclosure, a few bucks for the wire and solder, and your time. I have a build up in the mod forum.

It is not a speaker type but a mega dump type. It works great. I can dime my amps and keep the volume so low you almost need to be sitting in front of the amp to hear it.

My new blackheart 15w amp at full volume and full gain, with a db meter 6 inches from the speaker is 91db(a crap meter but honestly TV level). So unless you have a wife/girlfriend in the same room trying to sleep(and maybe not, my ole lady could sleep with the amp dimed in the same room), it is very quiet. Remember, a rule of thumb is 15w is half as quiet as 150w, 10w is half as quiet as 100w(tube). My Valveking 50w is really not that much louder then the Blackheart.

Mr.Carrot built a static one, very cheap, probably under $50.00. Two simple resistors(no line out, but problably not really needed).

Lots of options. If I have to play dead silent with the exception of the strings, I plug into a 15w Peavey Vypyr.
Last edited by Sin City Sid at Jan 18, 2009,
First off, you are NOT going to get a tube tone using headphones. It will not sound any different than using a solid state amp. Tube tones are heard when it's played LOUD through GOOD speakers, not headphone speakers.

Second, you can't do it. Sorry, I wouldn't even try to connect it. The amp head NEEDS to be connected to an external speaker that has the proper ohm impedance. Otherwise, you are going to fry something in your amp, possibly the transformer. That's why you NEVER turn on a head without a cabinet.
Ibanez PGM100
Taylor 314-CE
Peters Chimera
Orange PPC212 w/ Celestion V30 and Celestion G12-75
Quote by Khoifish321
Second, you can't do it. Sorry, I wouldn't even try to connect it. The amp head NEEDS to be connected to an external speaker that has the proper ohm impedance. Otherwise, you are going to fry something in your amp, possibly the transformer. That's why you NEVER turn on a head without a cabinet.

That is what the dummy load is for that I suggested. Headphones, nah, better options out there.
Quote by Khoifish321
First off, you are NOT going to get a tube tone using headphones. It will not sound any different than using a solid state amp. Tube tones are heard when it's played LOUD through GOOD speakers, not headphone speakers.

Ya, listen to this guy.
Everything that was suggested for hooking the line-out is WITH THE CAB CONNECTED!!!

I assumed this went without saying... but it should be said.
Heah, I think that tedweber headphone tap would be a good safe investment that would last a long time. Or make one like Sin City is suggesting.

And if you bought a tube amp not realizing you can't use headphones then....
You have to have a load on the head or you will pop it!!!
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
Heah, I think that tedweber headphone tap would be a good safe investment that would last a long time. Or make one like Sin City is suggesting.

And if you bought a tube amp not realizing you can't use headphones then....

Man I would love to agree with you but I don't think the load watts is enough. 100w amp would need a 150w load(no speakers of course). You have to have a load on the head or you will pop it!!! Also as stated above, it is not just the tubes but the speaker as well. Myself, when I'm trying to be quiet the speaker goes away, but the tubes stay. All your priority.
Last edited by Sin City Sid at Jan 19, 2009,
im not a complete moron i just baught the tube amp so the line 6 wouldnt drive me crazy. play one for a week and youl hate it. when i havent played it for a week i love it. i just needed some contrast and thaught it would be nice if i could have that contrast thru the convenience of headphones. if i dont get what i want life probably will go on.
Page 1 of 2