Hey guys,

I recently left a band (about 6 months ago) that I played for for a few months. I recently met up with the old vocalist and he mentioned he was keen on starting another band. I told him I would be interested.

I have practised twice with them and we have about 2 minutes of a song down and about half a cover.

Here is the problem. I listen to Death metal and melodeath and all sorts of music in these genres, but the music they want to play is too different from what I'm used to. The riffs I write tend to be far too melodic and I'm really struggling...

These guys want to play music in the vain of hate, decrepit birth, decaying purity, immolation, cryptopsy etc.

I do listen to bands like decapitated, nile, dying fetus, necrophagist etc, but writing in the same vain as these bands in ridiculously difficult for me.

I have been listening to songs/reading up on tabs/trying to learn songs, but still I have no inspiration of my own. To me, some of the riffs sound rather easy (as opposed to overly technical) and repetitive, but I can't nail any riffs or rythym structures...

Has anyone got any advice at all, or is there no hope for me and this band?

Thank you all for your time,

Cheers,

Dan
Gear List;

Laney VH100R with Matching Cab
Ibanez RGT42FM
Schecter C-1+
BC Rich Neck Thru Warlock
ISP Noise Decimator
Ibanez TS9
Don't try to write like anyone... just write what comes to you, be yourself, don't try to replicate - ORIGINATE.
Quote by SoulTrip
Don't try to write like anyone... just write what comes to you, be yourself, don't try to replicate - ORIGINATE.

Listen to SoulTrip... He Nailed It On The Head.
Quote by SoulTrip

I agree. stop trying to sound like your favorite bands. That's probably why your running dry. It's ok to have a little influence from other bands, though. Pry the riffs from your soul. I'm not even joking. Also, listen to bands that aren't metal, it really helps to inspire, well at least in my case.
Quote by raise_the_dead
Technical farts in odd time signatures?

WTF do you eat?

Quote by metabolicmaggot
Wow these answers scare me....I've swallowed some of that suff....I need a shower.
Last edited by pitbull510 at Jan 18, 2009,
Practice.
Neon Neon Neon Neon Neon Black

UG's #1 anti-active advocate

Gear:
Engl Powerball
Carvin DC727
Schecter C-1+
Line 6 Flextone 3
Line 6 M9
See above. Also for a darker sound when playing death metal, try using combinations of harmonic minor, phrygian dominant, and diminished scales.
So do you have anything interesting to play?
Cheers guys,

I'm not trying to copy other bands, but what I write doesn't fit... I have talked to the band but they seem to feel that it's ok now, but I know down the track it may not be...

I don't want to sound like other bands but what I have is a little off the track for them.

I tend to write very melodic riffs but these guys want brutal death riffs...

COB - Practice isn't really going to help me here...

Eclecticia - Thank you

Cheers guys,

Dan
Gear List;

Laney VH100R with Matching Cab
Ibanez RGT42FM
Schecter C-1+
BC Rich Neck Thru Warlock
ISP Noise Decimator
Ibanez TS9