Poll: Do you pick in a weird way?
Poll Options
View poll results: Do you pick in a weird way?
yes
37 41%
no
54 59%
Voters: 91.
here's what i mean. the traditional way of holding a pick is between the palm-side of your thumb and the side of your forefinger. i don't pick like that. i hold it between the palm side of my thumb and the palm side of my forefinger, and i angle it sort of sideways so that i can play faster. so, do you pick in a weird way?
Quote by binary-ghost
i really wish i had pics to proove it... i just realized how immensely unbelievable this is but... i promise you... he was doing something to the dogs crotch with his face..
I pick with my index fingernail while pressing my thumb/index finger together as if I'm holding a real pick.
I thought this thread was gonna be about picking your nose...

But I pick the normal way.
I can honestly say I have really been far even as decided to use even go want to do look more like.

I don't always post on UG, but when I do, I post in the Pit. Stay thirsty my friends.
Well... weird is a really vague term. What's weird to u may not be weird to whomever, cuz a person's thought of "weird" may not be as deviated as another person's thought.

With that said, no I don't think I pick weird.
i pick with my pick pointed up-down as apposed to left-right
Quote by thestonedone
You see this is why it's wrong to rape your guitar... in public.

Quote by mroctoberfest
I want to name an invention the Insta-gasm 3000. I feel very strongly about this.

Gear Setup:
Jackson Rhoads
Digitech Grunge
Fender FM 212R
i hold the pick against the flat part of my index finger. i've tried to change to the way Paul Gilbert does it but i'm incorrigible and wont change.
i hold my pick with my thumb index and middle. just came naturally when i started out, i know it's not the right way but idc.
Quote by smb
Freakish mammals bring the end times. It's not even 2012 yet and we're all on the path to extinction. Send cash now to God-TV!
see we can tell that ieatursoul is either james hetfield, or a noob.

also notice the december 08 join date.

and if u want weird picking, look at marty friedman and then say that you're weird
Quote by enselmis
see we can tell that ieatursoul is either james hetfield, or a noob.

also notice the december 08 join date.

and if u want weird picking, look at marty friedman and then say that you're weird

your good
Quote by Rubbersoul 065
I hold it with my thumb and my middle finger, I think EVH did that too. Course I don't tap, I used to hold it w/ three fingers hetfield style, but dropped the index over time

EVH did, at least between his thumb and middle. When I first started to play guitar, I decided to be cool like EVH and hold it like that. Now I unconciously switch between holding it between my index and middle with my thumb. Kind of annoying.
Quote by chromeguitars
here's what i mean. the traditional way of holding a pick is between the palm-side of your thumb and the side of your forefinger. i don't pick like that. i hold it between the palm side of my thumb and the palm side of my forefinger, and i angle it sort of sideways so that i can play faster. so, do you pick in a weird way?

That's what I do.
Quote by necrosis1193
John Entwistle once in a while. I had to try to find him when I saw The Who two years ago.

Quote by sticksause
butthose bagpipes sound awesome.
I often change my style while I'm playing.
I'll be using one style for rhythm and I'll switch when I play leads.

It all lies on what you're comfortable with.

MC name = Bearrorism
I'm the only one of my friends that picks in the "proper" way. Sometimes I'll hold the pick quite loosely in order to tremolo pick or strum chords fast. (power chords sound a lot different when I employ this technique)
i can pick better with the pick between palm of thumb & side of index, but like that i can't strum worth a **** i can strum better using palm of thumb, palm of index, and the very edge of palm of middle
MIM Tele
Fender Blues Jr NOS
Schecter Omen 6
Squier Strat
Greg Bennett Acoustic
other crap...
If seeing is believing...

...Then believe that we have lost our eyes!!
If holding with 3 fingers like EVH is weird, then yes.
Please excuse my godawful username. I was thirteen.
I hold it with my thumb and above the first knuckle on my index finger.
In diesem Herz hab ich die Macht.

Gear:
Fender MIM HSS Strat (Wine Red)
VOX Valvetronix VT20+
Kay K390 Acoustic
Quote by goest
That's not weird at all.

Mustaine does it.

I did not know that.
I'll be sure to pick up a Megadeth album now, cause I pick that way too
Needlenick wrote:

Dave Grohl has officially literally done everything.
I used to pick like Hetfield, but I changed to the "normal" way after seeing that most of the guitarists I saw played like that. Since then, my technique has improved a ****load. Sometimes though, for some rhythm parts especially, I still play with three fingers like Hetfield.
I sued Delta Airlines, 'cause they sold me a ticket to New Jersey, I went there, and it SUCKED.
I have no fingers so I have a prosthetic pick to attach to my stub.

I thought you were talking about nose picking.
I hold it with the tips of three fingers.
Quote by Sonicxlover
Kensai, I think I'll get a flamboyant sig.

Quote by Sonicxlover

Quote by Sonicxlover

Parker Nitefly Mojo sonnn
Jackson DK2M Dinky
Carvin Legacy
Fender Blues Jr.
Roland Cube 30X
I tend to use my middle finger instead of my index, it just feels more natural to me.
I hold the pick between the two knuckles closest to the fingernail on my index finger and thumb.

Other than that, I learned to pick upstrumming most of the time.
Gear: Warmoth Soloist / Hondo Acou. / Ibanez AS73

Hardwire TL-2 / Boss GE-7 / Electro Harmonix Small Stone Nano / Boss DD-3 / MXR Smart Gate / Ibanez TS9 / Unknown Tremolo

Bugera V55 / Home Made Cab w/ Celestion Speakers G12M & G12T
No but usually I can't find a pick on my desk without digging for it so I just use the nearest object that most closely resembles a pick, right now it's a notecard.
Quote by jackson001
Ironbodom, I hate you.

Quote by SeveralSpecies
damnit Ironbodom.

Quote by Sleaze Disease
Yes, someone "was ate jam" while they were playing.
Brilliant observation.

Save SURGE
I always thought other guitarist would laugh at me for using the tip of my index finger on the back of the pick,and the tip of my thumb on the front,its definitely wierd,but its most comfortable,i use the standard way of picking sometimes when im sweeping 1 note...or doing arpeggios,but other than that,its the other way...

i also use an extra long pick shaped like a slender triangle and made out of plexi plastic...

gah,being unorthodox...is it genius,or noobdom...
Usually, I pick with three fingers. Pad sides of thumb, index, and middle finger. Bad habit, I've been told, but I don't care for shred anyways...

And sometimes, if I feel like going a little psycho, I go Jonny Greenwood on my guitar and attack the strings with my entire arm, rather than my wrist.

Like so.

WHAT HAVE YOU DONE
I pick the normal way, but can't strum with a pick, so I just strum using my hand
If I'm chugging, I use the traditional way because it's tighter, but if I'm soloing for playing melodies, I hold the pick between the palm side of my thumb and the palm side of my index finger because it allows for a greater degree of movement, which helps during string skipping and stuff.
I got bored and I watched a lot of Zakk Wylde and Marty Friedman videos and thought it would be fun to see how to pick that way; Now I occasionally pick with my hand below the strings.
i guess i kinda do, i fold my index finger so it sits directly under my thumb, the pick rests on the index finger joint and inbetween the thumb joint and the pad.

i don't anchor, but my palm rests slightly on the strings (no pressure holding it there, it kinda sits there), and when i change strings my palm just moves down the strings. i also make my hand into a fist when picking.
Quote by coolstoryangus
Pffffffft schematics

Although i guess the OP will have to get used to reading them if he's going to buy a bugera..
Quote by gregs1020

along with fire escape routes...