So I was wondering how important are barre chords when it comes to metal? Do alot of heavy metal bands use barre chords? Are barre chords really important?
not very many heavy bands use barre chords. in fact, few bands at all use them these days, other than people such as dylan, springsteen, etc...
however, its always a good idea to learn them, no matter what genre of music you play. that way, you can build up an understanding of the way music is formulated, regardless of how you use it.
frankly, i tend to use an eclectic mix of both. when i'm playing heavy music, i tend to play power chords, cuz they pack all the punch i need, and a barre chord will just muck up the sound with to many notes. however, if i'm playing clean or with light od, i'll use barre chords, jazz voicings, whatever sounds interesting to me.
Fender 72' Deluxe Tele
Schecter Damian Elite 7
Fender '62 Reissue Jazz Bass (MIJ)
Peavey XXX 212 (back on the East Coast)

Macbook Pro 15" Retina
Logic Pro X 10.0.7
Revalver 4
LePou Amp Sims
Ignite Amp Sims
LeCab2
RedWirez Impulses
Barre chords are just chords. Regardless of whether or not you're actually playing full triads, knowledge of chord construction and harmony is incredibly important.
Someones knowledge of guitar companies spelling determines what amps you can own. Really smart people can own things like Framus because they sound like they might be spelled with a "y" but they aren't.
Power chords only contain the root and 5th of a chord, so it's neither Major nor Minor. Barre chords will actually have every chord tone.
Quote by Maton+SG
metal is how you see it, if you want to use barre chords use em

I could not agree more. Music won't progress if everyone uses the same techniques in the same way. Use what you want. Be unique.
Quote by HorizonShadow
Just eat the headstock.

That'll make you look mad.
Quote by pwrmax
Power chords only contain the root and 5th of a chord, so it's neither Major nor Minor. Barre chords will actually have every chord tone.

wrong. it will not have every chord tone. it may only be the root, third, and fifth, or it may have the seventh, or the ninth (second), etc. but it will almost never have every chord tone. that would be like, really weird sounding. seven intervals played together? not exactly an eargasm.

EDIT:
Quote by Athetosis
I could not agree more. Music won't progress if everyone uses the same techniques in the same way. Use what you want. Be unique.

also, this.
take Opeth for example. they effortlessly blend heavy metal with acoustic guitars, pianos, whatever, to create some of the most epic, most forward-looking metal around.
Fender 72' Deluxe Tele
Schecter Damian Elite 7

Macbook Pro 15" Retina
Logic Pro X 10.0.7
Revalver 4
LePou Amp Sims
Ignite Amp Sims
LeCab2
RedWirez Impulses
Last edited by kumamilesbear at Jan 18, 2009,
wrong. it will not have every chord tone. it may only be the root, third, and fifth, or it may have the seventh, or the ninth (second), etc. but it will almost never have every chord tone. that would be like, really weird sounding. seven intervals played together? not exactly an eargasm.

Notice that he said "chord tone" and not "scale".
Someones knowledge of guitar companies spelling determines what amps you can own. Really smart people can own things like Framus because they sound like they might be spelled with a "y" but they aren't.
ah, right
my bad
please excuse me, i'm tired
Fender 72' Deluxe Tele
Schecter Damian Elite 7

Macbook Pro 15" Retina
Logic Pro X 10.0.7
Revalver 4
LePou Amp Sims
Ignite Amp Sims
LeCab2
RedWirez Impulses

Exactly
Quote by kumamilesbear
not very many heavy bands use barre chords. in fact, few bands at all use them these days, other than people such as dylan, springsteen, etc...
however, its always a good idea to learn them, no matter what genre of music you play. that way, you can build up an understanding of the way music is formulated, regardless of how you use it.
frankly, i tend to use an eclectic mix of both. when i'm playing heavy music, i tend to play power chords, cuz they pack all the punch i need, and a barre chord will just muck up the sound with to many notes. however, if i'm playing clean or with light od, i'll use barre chords, jazz voicings, whatever sounds interesting to me.

Not very many bands use barre chords? What kind of music do you listen to? Pretty much every band uses barre chords in one song or another...

To TS:
Barre chords are very important, they really are the foundation of rock rhythm guitar.
I like metal alot, but a power chord never really reveals the notes on strings under it which can go with what your playing. When playing these barre chords I find notes on the g b and high e strings that sound good with what im playing that I would have never noticed with a power chord. Seems like barre chords and pentatonics have great relation.
Bar chords are just a way of making simple triads easier to play on the guitar. They sound a little muddy under distortion, maybe because you have several strings going at once, maybe because you have too many notes, I don't know. Sort of thinking that it's because it's too many strings playing, like you'll see chord tones used in a metal solo and it sounds fine.

Powerchords aren't actually chords. The parrallel fifths and octaves in powerchords means the ear only hears one note being played, even though it sounds beefier.
        |\
[U]        | |                     [/U]
[U]        |/     .-.              [/U]
[U]       /|_     `-’       |      [/U]
[U]      //| \      |       |      [/U]
[U]     | \|_ |     |     .-|      [/U]
      *-|-*    (_)     `-’
        |
        L.