Ok so I got this guitar for Christmas and I didn't get a case with it, just a stand. I was messing around with chords today and I saw that I had this weird "white-simi-yellow-ish" in the middle of my bridge pickup. Also there's a tinny bit of dust and god knows what on everything else. What would I use to clean it up after I get the dust off it? Should I get a hardshell case or gig bag to keep it in to? I been thinking of getting a gig bag that has a bigger bouch to keep books in anyway. I would use those Ernie Ball wipes but I only saw them for the freetboard and strings.

Edit: I got the crap out of the pickup.

Edited: I got the dust off the guitar and it looks alot better, stupid dust. YAY AIR COMPRESERS AND AIR NOSELS!!
Quote by Trefellin
Anyone with half a brain knows that Jesus is way more metal than Satan. Lucifer was the worlds very first emo.

Quote by glowinghamster4'

i just want to let you know that made my day.

Quote by Weaponized
Solid state master race
Last edited by MetalheadforJC at Jan 18, 2009,
you can get a gigbag if you want, i only use mine to carry it somewhere and sometimes over night i might put it away, the yellowy stuff on your pickup is just from your hands and it picks away, you can just use a normal wet cloth thingo to wipe the body but dont get the strings wet, i just wipe around the pickguard every few months maybe. and if youve got dust on your strings your not playing enough strum them a bit and it might fall off
um find a high performance cleaning cloth. (my one is made by Scotch) to clean the fretboard and stuff look for grade #00000 steel wool. it wont scratch the finish. and you can only find that stuff in certain stores.

just make sure your hands arent oily when you play and give your guitar a good wipe after every playing session.

but if you leave your guitar on a stand it will get dirtier faster. if you want to keep it clean keep it in a hardcase or Gigbag your choice.
SATCH FTW!!!
NSW Group FTW!

There's nothing incredibly interesting here.
Quote by AcousticSlayer
I leave all my guitars out in the open. Maybe you are you problem. Do you bathe?

Yes, I even wash my hand almost everytime befor I play my guitar.
Quote by Trefellin
Anyone with half a brain knows that Jesus is way more metal than Satan. Lucifer was the worlds very first emo.

Quote by glowinghamster4'

i just want to let you know that made my day.

Quote by Weaponized
Solid state master race
Your local guitar store should carry microfiber cleaning cloths. They should have some generic brand names, but Fender, PRS and others also sell their own. Make sure it's a microfiber cloth, not just a cotton cloth or some other fabric. Microfiber has the advantage of not scratching your finish. Anything else you use, even if it's for guitars, will leave fine scratches in the finish. While you're there, also pick some Planet Waves, or similar brand, spray guitar cleaner and some guitar wax. If you're really dedicated to keeping your axe clean, I'd also get some Fast-Fret.

If you play the guitar that day, use the cloth to wipe it down before going to bed. Use your breath to "steam" spots on the guitar that don't easily wipe off. Use the spray to get stubborn spots that you can't seem to get with your breath. It won't take much spray to loosen up the tough dirt and grime. Once the entire guitar is wiped down, use the Fast-Fret cleaning cloth to wipe down the strings. Apply the Fast-Fret lubricant to the strings. I used to change my strings every 2 months. Now, I change them every 6 months to a year.

If you don't have the threat of pets or small children damaging your guitar, I'd keep it in a stand. If you check out my profile and look at my equipment pics, you'll see I keep all of my guitars on the wall. Places like Same Day Music and ZZounds sell a nice wall hook called Off-The-Wall. Last I checked, they were $20 each. They do require that you make some holes in the wall, but each will support 200 pounds and I've never had one pull out. If you have problems with small kids or pets, I'd recommend a good hard case.
I use the Dunlop cleaning system. comes with the body cleaner, fret board conditioner and string cleaner. Stuff works pretty good. I'm in Iraq so I have a huge problem with dust and I'm cleaning my 4 axes quite often.
Quote by MetalheadforJC

That might be your problem. The yellowish stuff is probably soap residue. Just a quick wash with only water is really enough to get the oils off your hands.
Quote by MetalheadforJC

Wash your hands before you play?> That's...interesting. I was never told this in my life and my guitar which I've had for at least 6 months (Ibanez RG) doesn't even have dust on it; the only thing that get dirty are the strings. Get a case and keep it in there when you're done playin.
Quote by MooshMooshMarc
I didnt have anything planned out, and I didn't know **** about improvising, so it was like "OH SHI- SOLO TIME" so I kerry-kinged it.