Ok, so I am pretty serious about getting a second amp. I've got a Dual Rectifier solo head half stack and love that "armerican metal" sound, but I'm now GASing for a second amp with a more british tone.

At first I wanted a JCM900 since they are plentifull and cheap, but after reading that the MEsa Stiletto is basically supposed to be a Marshall to kick a Marshall's butt, not to mention youtube clips that impressed the crap out of me, I'm thinking maybe the Stiletto..??.. Plus I like the idea of getting another Recto cab and having two amps that match well.

What have been the various models of Stilettos? Which is the best? What is a "getting a good deal" price for a head?

Also, how different would my Dual rectifier sound if I threw in a pair of EL34's? How close would it sound to the Stiletto?

Lastly, any other amp options that deliver a nice heavy, crunchy british sound?
Jackson KE1F
Jackson KE2
Gibson Gothic Explorer
BC Rich Jr V deluxe

Engl Powerball full stack
Framus Cobra
VHT Pittbull CL50
stilettos are nice, I tried thier new model, the updated version, today. Really in your face, but you've gotta crank em to alievieate the fizziness. I would try em out and see what You think.
What would your definitive budget be? because If you don't need a Clean chanel I would recommend a Splawn Competition...
Let me see, if your looking for a Marshall type tone that kicks Marshall's ass look no further.....

Orange Amps

I love my Rockerverb, It kicks the crap out of the JMC 900 and 800

But they are kinda pricey
American Strat:
Area 61 Neck, Area 67 Middle & Bridge
Spretzel Locking Tuners
Graphtech Nut & String Tree
Lots O' Love!

JSX + Orange Cab
Fender Blues Deluxe
Deluxe Memory Man
Fulltone Full Drive 2 & OCD
H2O Chorus/Echo
My budget is basically not an issue. ALthough I like how cheap I could get a JCM900 (were talking $500 for a head if you hunt), but I wouldn't mind paying up to as much as $1500-2000 for the head by itself. Preferably used.

Clean channel is actually pretty darned important! Since the Rectifier solo heads lack pretty hard when it comes to the clean channel, it would be nice to have a second amp that does have a nice clean.

Orange amps huh? THe only thing about Orange amps is that they are just flat ugly. They are tiny and...well......bright orange.

Still curious.... anyone try the EL34's in their solo head, how does it sound? I might just buy two 34's just to try it out. I only run two power tubes anyway.
Jackson KE1F
Jackson KE2
Gibson Gothic Explorer
BC Rich Jr V deluxe

Engl Powerball full stack
Framus Cobra
VHT Pittbull CL50
Look into Reeves, Peters, and Roccaforte if you're into the british thing, and have some cash to burn.

About Orange: They're not really marshally. They're orangey. Oranges have their own sound.

Also: Badcat, Budda, and Mojave.

I'm sure there are others...

Like, if you wanted to get a cheaper amp, you could look for an old Laney AOR/PTL, or an Ampeg VL- series amp. Maybe an old Sound City
Quote by Highwaytohell
stilettos are nice, I tried thier new model, the updated version, today. Really in your face, but you've gotta crank em to alievieate the fizziness.

That's not the impression I've gotten from Stilettos at all. Not quite as much gain as someone might need, but smooth tone.
Quote by Sonicxlover
Kensai, I think I'll get a flamboyant sig.

Quote by Sonicxlover

Quote by Sonicxlover

Parker Nitefly Mojo sonnn
Jackson DK2M Dinky
Carvin Legacy
Fender Blues Jr.
Roland Cube 30X
Never tried a Rockerverb. Plus Orange would clash in my basement gear area.

See if you can find a Splawn Quickrod for sale in gear classifieds and craigslist. They are less than 1500. Clean channel and Marshall tone out the wang. They can do some pretty tight metal too. Yummy.
Last edited by 311ZOSOVHJH at Jan 19, 2009,
i 2nd the Splawn Quickrod
Peavey XXX combo *upgraded screen resistors, Tung-Sol's, and 6L6's*
Schecter Syn Std. * modded, scalloped, and worn*
Schecter C-1 Elite *still sexy*
Ibanez AEL 12-string

"He who sticks his dick in peanut butter is fucking nuts"
My friend has EL34's in his Mesa Triple Rec.
It sounds better than with 6L6's IMO, but you aren't going to change the amps preamp voicing with a power tubes swap.
It still sounds like a Rectifier, only a bit tighter in the lowend. (which you only notice at high volume levels)

I played an Orange Rockerverb 50 the other day, and I really liked it. I thought the gain was more pleasing and clearer that many JCM 900's and 2000's. Very little noise at high gain/high volume levels too. But, I don't like the look of them, or the price.

I would look at Laney's for raunchy british high gain tones. Something like a GH50L or Tony Iommi sig head. Decently priced and good tone.
MARSHALL JVM 210H
PEAVEY JSX
KRANK 412
MESA 412
FENDER STRATS
DIMARZIO
CELESTION
It massively depends on what you play.

People that say genres are losing the plot.

You almost need to say what bands, then what songs you play.

I finally found mine with an O.Rockerverb 100 that was modded.

Stiletto is nice, but it wouldn't really do for me unless it was at a gig last minute.

Try EVERYTHING out.