I've been studying scales lately and came across augmented scales. The sheet my jazz band teacher gave me to study for the upcoming auditions (Which I failed, btw, but will get it next year) goes over a scale type called the Lydian Augmented, which is WWWWHWH. But after a little bit of research online I came across a "Jazz" Augmented scale, which was formed by taking a major scale and forming it with 1, b3, 3, 5, b6, 7.

Even though I failed the auditions, I remember having to form Augmented chords, and it didn't state whether it was Lydian Augmented or these "Jazz" Augmented scales. I'd assume it is these "Jazz" Augmented scales, but assuming never gets me anywhere; And then again, what would the Lydian Augmented scales/chords be for, and why would they be on the sheet my jazz band teacher and not the Jazz Augmented scales?

Sorry, I'm just such a newb. :P Help would be appreciated, I'm really confused...
I don't know what a Jazz Augmented scale is, but I can tell you that augmented triads can be built from both of the scales you mentioned. (b6 = #5) The major third and augmented fifth appear in several other scales...such as the whole tone scale.

At any rate, you should know Lydian Augmented because it's the third mode of melodic minor.
Quote by TGautier13
Because e-cred on a sub-par 4Chan knockoff forum is what everyone strives to achieve.
We believe - so we're misled
We assume - so we're played
We confide - so we're deceived
We trust - so we're betrayed
Jazz is about playing weird notes and then resolving it. Over a C+ chord, you can play C Lydian Augmented, C Ionian Augmented, C Jazz Augmented (never heard of it, but the intervals should be 1 #2 3 5 b6 7, and that isn't even augmented due to the natural 5), or really anything you want. There isn't any one right scale over chords in jazz.

Please read the theory lessons in my sig and Freepower's sig as well as the Crusade articles.

Edit:
Quote by ramm_ty
(b6 = #5)

No. As I said above, the natural fifth for the scale to be called augmented.

Edit 2: The Jazz Augmented scale isn't even augmented, though you may like the natural fifth in some scenarios.
Last edited by bangoodcharlote at Jan 18, 2009,
Quote by bangoodcharlote
(never heard of it, but the intervals should be 1 #2 3 5 b6 7, and that isn't even augmented due to the natural 5)

I've heard of that scale before, only spelt differently. Its a symmetrical hexatonic scale, which alternates minor and augmented seconds.
Quote by bangoodcharlote
Edit:

I realize that's wrong in terms of nomenclature. I was trying to make the connection between the intervals of that scale and an augmented triad more obvious.
Quote by TGautier13
Because e-cred on a sub-par 4Chan knockoff forum is what everyone strives to achieve.
We believe - so we're misled
We assume - so we're played
We confide - so we're deceived
We trust - so we're betrayed
Quote by bangoodcharlote
Jazz is about playing weird notes and then resolving it. Over a C+ chord, you can play C Lydian Augmented, C Ionian Augmented, C Jazz Augmented (never heard of it, but the intervals should be 1 #2 3 5 b6 7, and that isn't even augmented due to the natural 5), or really anything you want. There isn't any one right scale over chords in jazz.

Please read the theory lessons in my sig and Freepower's sig as well as the Crusade articles.

Edit:

Cool, so either one of those Augmented ones works?

That's good to know. The chords in the sample sheet music we had to play for the audition were just shown as "C+", or whatever.

I am studying theory via the Crusade articles, but just going slowly at it... I'll check the theory lessons in your sig.
Last edited by Shoj_ at Jan 18, 2009,