evening all.
i am going to change the pickups in my Gibson SG Speical 2002 becuase the current 490R and 490T are sounding a bit thin to my ears nowadays.
I have had my eyes on the Seymour Duncan SH-1 ('59 model) for the neck position and the SH-4 JB (edgier cut jazz model) for the bridge.
The tone I am going for is powerful and full Jimmy Page. Obviously I will never play like the man himself but I respect his crunchy tones that are so dynamic.
On the other hand, I love the bite I can get out of my current pickups and want to know whether

1. this will be retained in my new choices
2. my new choices are any good for that sort of sound. If anyone can recommend better, please do.

thanks for your attention, ultimateguitarists.

peace

nb. i am also going to implement the jimmy page wiring mod for awesome sound permutations.
Go for a Custom 5 for the bridge
and correct me if i'm wrong but i think Jimmy never used the "Jimmy Page wiring" on his signature guitars..or if he did, he did it rarely
Quote by drunkinkoala
you can be jesus.

Quote by Wesseem
most useless response i think i have ever seen on any forum ever.

Quote by Turkeyburger

Lolflag
Well from first hand experience I can say that the JB is one of the more versatile distortion pups I've played on.I have one in one of my six strings and I can get tones ranging from gritty overdrive to death metal out of it.The cleans are nothing to write home about,but that's where the '59 comes in.Once again,this is based on my experiences playing on it,but the '59 seemed to be a nice warmer pup with round tone that does clean and blues tones nicely and can handle a fair bit of distortion.Hope this helps,your best bet would be to play a guitar with them in it that has similar tonal characteristics to your SG.It'd also be a good idea to run said guitar through the amp you use.

WARNING!: THIS USER HAS BEEN KNOWN TO BE AN OPINIONATED ASS. ALWAYS USE CAUTION WHEN READING POSTS AND NEVER USE NEAR AN OPEN FLAME.USE ONLY AS DIRECTED.KEEP OUT OF REACH OF CHILDREN.

Last edited by Pr0gNut at Jan 18, 2009,
check out the Seymour Douncan web site,was on it last night, and found a ton of info on it.
Seymour Himself has a Q&A section on pickups and matching sets for your set-up
The JB isn't going to get you Page tones. Stick a '59 in the bridge as well. There's plenty of bite and clarity in them. Just don't think you're magically going to sound like Page just because of new pickups, you need the right amp(s) and depending on the Page tones you like, the right pedal.

Quote by hell_monkey
Go for a Custom 5 for the bridge
and correct me if i'm wrong but i think Jimmy never used the "Jimmy Page wiring" on his signature guitars..or if he did, he did it rarely

Simply put, all of the wiring mods took place after Led Zeppelin and even then rarely used.
Last edited by Whole Lotta Led at Jan 18, 2009,
mmm thanks guys i appreciate the info.
i am going for the reliability and diversity of a page tone, but the actual notes and style of playing will be on a more progessive/jazzy line.
the guitarist from the band Oceansize sums it up pretty well; anything ranging from rounded mantric cleans to clear-cut distortion....
i guess everyone has their tastes and this combo seemed to me to fit the bill.
Quote by andy243
mmm thanks guys i appreciate the info.
i am going for the reliability and diversity of a page tone, but the actual notes and style of playing will be on a more progessive/jazzy line.
the guitarist from the band Oceansize sums it up pretty well; anything ranging from rounded mantric cleans to clear-cut distortion....
i guess everyone has their tastes and this combo seemed to me to fit the bill.

Either way, I'd avoid the JB. By the way, what amp are you using?
i use a fender hot rod deluxe (very new, havent yet biased it as i fear for my life when dealing with the capicitors!) and i often use a marshall jackhammer or bluesbreaker pedal infront of it.
ps. what pedal could i get a decent page distortion from? these are pretty ****e. was thinking along the lines of a tubescreamer or is that a little too extreme
A tubescreamer is hardly too extreme, in fact you could say its become an essential for bluesy overdriven tones.
Quote by andy243
ps. what pedal could i get a decent page distortion from? these are pretty ****e. was thinking along the lines of a tubescreamer or is that a little too extreme

Well it's not extreme, but it's not exactly Page in a box either. Which of Page's tones are you thinking of? Any particular album, song, or live tone you have in your head? Something like the Zvex Box of Rock isn't too bad for his mid 70's live tone, but it's not the pedal for LZI or LZII tones.
Last edited by Whole Lotta Led at Jan 18, 2009,