I'm making this on behalf of my friend Joe, aka 6DgOfInTb, and we attempted to wire up his gorgeous 7-string project tonight.

Turns out one of the wires wasn't connected when I left his house, is now connected and now working. We haven't connected anything to the bridge/tailpiece (it's thru-body with a Tune-O-Matic bridge), and we're wondering what it does.

But he says that the pots are also noisy, and we fear that they may have melted during the soldering process.

Does anyone have any definites on either of these? Do melted pots make noise, and does not connecting to the common ground create noise as well?
If anyone wants to IM me, it's dwsabianguy. No spam.
Also, are there any alternatives to grounding to the bridge? We found out that grounding to one pot doesn't work >.< Tis why one of the pots may be melted as well.
O.S.I.

Part of the 7-string Legion

Check out my profile
and my 7-string Ernie Ball MM JP-7 build

How many watts was the iron you used?
It would have to be massive to melt a pot.
Epiphone Valve Junior
Peavy Windsor Head
Ampeg J-12T
1959 Harmony H400A
Randall Pro-Tube 2000

Gibson Faded Special SG
Homemade superstrat with EMG 81
Peavy Tracer
Washburn XB600 6-string bass
Enough pedals to crush a rhino
40 watts, but there are five or six wires on the back of the pot, and sometimes the solder wouldn't want to heat up, so we'd have to hold the iron on there for longer than normal.
O.S.I.

Check out my profile

With a 120w soldering gun, you can solder as many wires to it as you want in only a few seconds.

I doubt you messed up the pot, but it's still a possibility. It isn't melted, that's for sure. Were they brand new? If not, they could just be dirty. Clean them by spraying contact cleaner into them and twisting the shafts rapidly for a few seconds.

Grounding to the bridge reduces noise when you touch the strings. The only practical way to ground the strings is via the bridge.
yeah, you should ground the bridge, that may be your problem, then do what jiminy crickets said
You can overheat a pot yes. But the lack of bridge ground is best place to start when looking for noise.
Alright then, we'll ground it to the bridge. Any specific spot, or just on the bridge in general? (i think I know the answer to that one already..)
O.S.I.

Check out my profile