Poll: Mankind's greatest achievement?
Poll Options
View poll results: Mankind's greatest achievement?
The physical
39 63%
The metaphorical
23 37%
Voters: 62.
So if we were to one day look back at the human race and what we accomplished, what would you say was our greatest achievement?

Our discoveries of the physical world (the sciences, mathematics, social sciences)?

Or our creations of the metaphorical world (arts, literature, philosophy, religion)?

It's definitely a difficult question, but in my opinion I would have to go with metaphorical, because those are what lead to all the scientific discoveries and such.

EDIT: Okay, so instead of saying DISCOVERY of the metaphorical stuff, I changed it to creation. Better?
Quote by Ross724
3.14 pie or the delicious crusted treat we all know and love?

Quote by MightyAl
Therefore your argument is rubbish, as well as being full of profanity and anti-Semitic. Are you Mel gibson, by any chance?
Last edited by Saje at Jan 18, 2009,
Physical. I don't think the metaphorical were really "discoveries" per se...
"Love is the only thing that we can carry with us when we go, and it makes the end so easy." -Louisa May Alcott
Last edited by Shortbuschld at Jan 18, 2009,
The vagina.

/thread

EDIT: OH wtf, I only read the thread title.
But deffinetly physical.
love is love // return to dust
considering we can't really discover things we created, physical definitely.
Supreme Commander Of The Lolcats Of the UG Army

And that guy, who had that idea, one time

╠═══════╬═══════╣

THE SIMIAN σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣
Last edited by Boogie Man at Jan 18, 2009,
I don't know, those guys who wrote the Bible were the best fiction writers human kind has ever seen. I would also say that the Pyramids, The Great Wall, and the computer outweigh metaphorical. It takes a lot more energy, intellect, effort, and strength to physically build something, rather than write or draw something out of your head, and I say that as a song writer, visual artist, and writer; I don't feel it is anything special that I can do those things.
Last edited by in2thesun88 at Jan 18, 2009,
Religion? don't make me laugh.

The pinnacle to date, is clearly scientific understanding of the world/universe/medicine etc.
Quote by n to the k
^ you are wise

Quote by Maus24
There's been sooo many threads done on this; I don't even wanna hear that you used the searchbar. Staring at it and giggling does not count.
The worlds fu cked up and we lit the fuse, its all used up what you gonna do?
Physical.

Without those discoveries there is no metaphorical. Except Religion which is like "physicals" retarded cousin.
Last edited by freedoms_stain at Jan 18, 2009,
I might have said "the metaphorical" but you had to list religion in there...
Quote by Article
She pulled off his left testicle and tried to swallow it, before spitting it out. A friend handed it back to Mr Jones saying "That's yours"

Wii Is For Queers! Co-Founder Of The "We Hate Wii" Club
Return to a Condition of Being...<-Band. Add plz!
Quote by gunther_sucks
I vote for metaphorical, as long as religion is not included.

edit: Great minds think alike. ^

Quote by Article
She pulled off his left testicle and tried to swallow it, before spitting it out. A friend handed it back to Mr Jones saying "That's yours"

Wii Is For Queers! Co-Founder Of The "We Hate Wii" Club
Return to a Condition of Being...<-Band. Add plz!
I chose 'metaphorical,' because man's greatest achievement was the discovery of the satisfaction one receives from feigning a throw to a dog, watching it chase nothing. You really feel like you're at the top of the food chain, and rightly so.
Life is underrated.

Quote by Mad Marius
That's like saying you got cancer that comes with AIDS.
Quote by in2thesun88
I don't know, those guys who wrote the Bible were the best fiction writers human kind has ever seen. I would also say that the Pyramids, The Great Wall, and the computer.

I have to disagree the Bible was a horribly unoriginal piece of literature, you'd think a couple hundred people working for a couple hundred years trying to create the world's greatest religion could come up with something a little better than re-working the same old stories that had been floating around the middle-east/mediterranean for the past couple thousand years, and they left out all the good parts, Lilith = Eve x 7 million.
founding member of the Bill Bailey fan club (assuming there isn't already one)

proudly not an overly proud vegetarian
i think metaphorical because physical (like science) is always there no matter waht, you know? it's not like we can change it.

but with metaphorical it's completely unpredictable all the time and it's our imagination that creates it.

we don't create the physical world we only discover it.

but we make the metaphorical world and that in itself... the satisfaction of being able to do something that changes.... people's perspectives on so many things... is truly amazing.

if you were expecting a dumb answer i would just say

i like music more than science so go with metaphorical.
The Metaphorical world consists solely of creations, not discoveries. We didn't discover a book, or our beliefs, or art we made those things, or had them already with us....

And that about wraps this thread up.
Quote by Teh Traineez0rz
yeah was weird cause she liked us both but she loved him and for some reason she let me know beforehand.

i just wanted her poon and she wanted me to have her poon.

so i had myself some poon.
Quote by Deanwings79
i think metaphorical because physical (like science) is always there no matter waht, you know? it's not like we can change it.

but with metaphorical it's completely unpredictable all the time and it's our imagination that creates it.

we don't create the physical world we only discover it.

but we make the metaphorical world and that in itself... the satisfaction of being able to do something that changes.... people's perspectives on so many things... is truly amazing.

if you were expecting a dumb answer i would just say

i like music more than science so go with metaphorical.

I should delete this thread. You just won it.
Quote by Ross724

Quote by MightyAl
Therefore your argument is rubbish, as well as being full of profanity and anti-Semitic. Are you Mel gibson, by any chance?
Quote by dingmydong
I have to disagree the Bible was a horribly unoriginal piece of literature, you'd think a couple hundred people working for a couple hundred years trying to create the world's greatest religion could come up with something a little better than re-working the same old stories that had been floating around the middle-east/mediterranean for the past couple thousand years, and they left out all the good parts, Lilith = Eve x 7 million.

I will give you that, and I change my thoughts on that from The Bible to the Native American creation stories, cause they were around A LONG TIME before the Bible, and I have read some, quite a bit of substance and imagination there...or it could have been the peyote talking, who knows?
This is me holding mankind's greatest achievement (no it's not my trouser snake):
Telecaster - SG - Jaguar
Princeton Reverb, Extra Reverb
P-Bass - Mustang Bass
Apogee Duet 2 - Ableton Suite
Quote by Sid McCall
This is me holding mankind's greatest achievement (no it's not my trouser snake):

I don't think mankind's greatest achievement can be found in an aisle in Bed Bath and Beyond.
Quote by Ross724

Quote by MightyAl
Quote by Saje
I don't think mankind's greatest achievement can be found in an aisle in Bed Bath and Beyond.

I disagree, because the Germans always make good stuff.
"Love is the only thing that we can carry with us when we go, and it makes the end so easy." -Louisa May Alcott
Quote by Sid McCall

Shamwow is displeased that this was not the first and only post.
Biggie Smalls RIP
Quote by Chungavelli
I know this Jewish guy who pierced his asshole.
Quote by InvaderTSN
Wait a minute, Vince told me that they didn't sell Shamwow in stores.

Did Vince lie to me?

Yep........BOINK!

I'm gonna go with metaphorical. In time, squid will be able to use tools like us. But paint? Nah...
Last edited by metaldud536 at Jan 18, 2009,
Quote by InvaderTSN
Wait a minute, Vince told me that they didn't sell Shamwow in stores.

Did Vince lie to me?

Vince also said "beware of shamwow imitators"

(mind as well go with the hijacking)
I'd say metaphorical since it's something inherent to Humans. Other animals manipulate their habitat, true not to the extent we do, but no other create we are aware of is able to contemplate its own existence. Also, I'm a believer in that everything we make, had the potential to be made any other time, therefore, we only discover things, not make them. However, contemplating life is different for each individual.
"We are not concerned with motive, with higher ethics. We are concerned only with cutting down crime-."
Quote by metaldud536
Yep........BOINK!

Oh my God, life isn't worth living anymore!

*picks up shard of glass*

Quote by Deanwings79
Vince also said "beware of shamwow imitators"

(mind as well go with the hijacking)

You're right! The competitors are just trying to sell their products by calling them Shamwow as well! It's foolproof!
Hahahaha I'm so glad I just ruined this thread. But yeah, I bought them right after that, and they're amazing. They sell them in tons of stores, so instead of bitching about it, go and buy some!
Telecaster - SG - Jaguar
Princeton Reverb, Extra Reverb
P-Bass - Mustang Bass
Apogee Duet 2 - Ableton Suite