i am curious? how long would you say you practice each day BY YOURSELF?
ive heard of people practicing 5+ hours a day. to me that sounds a little ridiculous but idk..

id prefer answers from people who have been playing for 3+ years.
Well, ive been playing about 2 years now, and by myself alone, learning new songs and practicing a day in total i probably spend about 30 minutes - 1 hour. Not too much, and in short periods of time, sometimes ill play 10-15 minutes, then a couple hours later ill play for 35, so it evens out to a decent practice time.
ive playing for almos 3 years
i practiced between 3 and 5 hours diary
and still i do it, but not everyday
Hola.
Normally only an hour or two, I should practice way more,
But I don't really have the time, or the will power to.

My old guitar teacher used to play for 11 or 12 hours a day though when he was in his teens. That just struck me as silly though, although; that said - He's an awesome guitarist, one of my favourites infact.
I deeply regret the 6661 in my username. Siiiigh. Damn you, 14 year old me, you edgy little bastard.
Last edited by Carl6661 at Jan 18, 2009,
I've been playing for 4 years now, and I practice about an hour a day, maybe up to 3 or 4 on weekends if I don't have homework. That's practicing, but jamming is maybe.... 4 hours a week? Depends on the week, but it averages out to about that. I don't think you need to practice alone for 5 hours a day. In my opinion, practicing for 1 hour with a band, or jamming is as good as 5 hours alone, you get a feel for the music more, and whether or not it improves your technique, it improves your musicality, which is just as, if not more, important than technique.
Gear:
Fender Hot Rod Deville 2x12
Custom Built Guitar (made it myself)
PRS SE Soapbar II Maple
Fender Stratacoustic (Stolen! )
Digitech RP200
Boss MT-2
Roland Microcube
I like my stuff!
i love playing guitar theres no doubt about that. and i want to do womething with my talent in the future. but i cant say i practice more that two hours a day. sometimes ill play for more but not every day. to me even an hour is a long time but like i said i hear of people playing up to 8 hours a day!!? that makes me feel terrible! but at the same time idk how many people actually play that much by themselves per day.
Quote by JT747
i am curious? how long would you say you practice each day BY YOURSELF?
ive heard of people practicing 5+ hours a day. to me that sounds a little ridiculous but idk..

id prefer answers from people who have been playing for 3+ years.

how about you ts? how much time do you spend practicing each day?
About an hour and a half to two hours a day. On weekends, a little more than that.
I usually practice an hour or three.

I've heard Steve Vai practices like 10 hours a day.
Gear List:
'97 Gibson Explorer w/ Duncan SH-4 and SH-2
Fender Jazz Bass 'Crafted in Japan'
Yamaha Acoustic Guitar
Vox AD30VT w/ VFS2
Roland Cube 30 Bass
Modded "St. Louis" Wah
Dunlop .88 Tortex picks
Last edited by wolfy808 at Jan 18, 2009,
Ive only been playin for 6 months. I practice an hour a day while watching TV. have 2 much Home work to do more.
Epiphone Les Paul Ultra II(
"Epicaster" pimped out strat
Fender Blues Jr.
DeltaLab RD1 Rock distortion
Barber handmade USA Direct Drive Overdrive
DeltaLab Stereo chorus
MXR 6 band EQ
Quote by muse-ik
it improves your musicality,

Dude, is that even a word? It's kinda like saying "Listen to the tonality!" (e-cookie for reference)

OnTopic: With learning new songs and just screwing around with things about 3- 10 hours on a good day

I've been playing for about 3.5 years. Uh, I'm sure when I first started I probably played for about 2 hours a day, but now it's usually around an hour. Somewhere between 30 minutes to an hour and a half. I went through a 2 month phase where I only played for about 20 minutes a day, but I've found some inspiration again.

I agree with what the people are saying about those guys that play 8-10 hours a day...On one hand, I feel inadequate, because I'm not practising NEARLY as much as them, but on the other...That's borderline obsessive. Haha. I love music more than anything, (Family notwithstanding) but I can't force myself to play more than I feel is necessary.
My gear:
Schecter C-1+ w/ Seymour duncan Jazz (neck) and Full Shred (bridge), with Sperzels
B-52 LG-100A 4x12 half stack
Rogue LX405 Bass
Yamaha classical
Some sort of acoustic Squier
Boss Flanger
Lyon Chorus
idk if this will make sense to any1 but maybe it will. in my opinion...

i jus recently got into writing my own stuff, so most of my time was and still is devoted to playing other peoples stuff followed by some time attempting my own. but i think the reason why i cant stay focused and play more is because idk what the hell to play. my writing skills are not great right now so i get discouraged and bored in a sense and stop. as for steve vai, he can write music all day which is what keeps him going. so maybe when i get to that point things will change.. does that make sense??
Quote by fLYinGV23
Dude, is that even a word? It's kinda like saying "Listen to the tonality!" (e-cookie for reference)

OnTopic: With learning new songs and just screwing around with things about 3- 10 hours on a good day

Zakk Wylde's 'Blues guitar lesson'...?
EDIT - http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=AJpCZpysf94

There's a link to it.
I deeply regret the 6661 in my username. Siiiigh. Damn you, 14 year old me, you edgy little bastard.
2 hours tops. It's about the quality of the practice, not the amount of time spent.
MY GEAR
Ibanez SA160QM
Laney HCM10
Squier Bullet Strat
MXR Carbon Copy
Zoom Tri Metal
Modtone Flanger(mini)
EHX LPB-1
Korg Pitchblack
Timtone acoustic
However long I feel like playing.
THE FORUM UPDATE KILLED THE GRADIENT STAR

Baltimore Orioles: 2014 AL Eastern Division Champions, 2017: 75-87
Baltimore Ravens: 2012 World Champions, 2017: 4-5
2017 NFL Pick 'Em: 92-54
I've been playing SERIOUSLY for about 3 years, (8 years total) and if I add up the total amount of time I pick up the guitar a day...

It would probably be around 3-6+ hours each day.
About 5-8 hrs most days, in sessions of 1-2 hrs each...but I am self employed.
It doesn't matter how long you practice, it's what you're doing in that time. Someone could be practicing for 5 hours, and not have a purpose and not learn anything. Whereas, you could practice for 30 minutes and work on a specific thing and learn a lot more. I mean, you want to try to get in a respectable amount of time practicing, but its important to practice with a purpose and goal.
i agree. im willing to bet that some if not more people who say they practice 5+ hours are not really "practicing" anything jus bull****ing and wasting time.
I've been playing for about 4-5 yrs. and I practice everyday for 3-4 hrs. A good chunk of which recently has been going toward sweep picking and learning new chords. I like to learn.
Where I'm at and what I'm doing (its' quite boring) I practice around 4 or 5 hours a day. Its been working pretty good so far.
I don't plan to play [so and so] hours a day, but I usually try to get at least an hour, though I've had days where I only play 30 minutes and other 6 hours, I just try to keep my playing fresh and keep learning new stuff.

Been playing just over 3 years BTW.
ive been playing for 3 years to be exact. about a year ago, i promised myself to practice atleast 1 hour a day. coz wat happened to me was too irritating. because that time, i didnt practice as much as 1 week and my left hand really hurt when i picked the guitar. i cant even do power chords right. maybe thats what they call momentum.
If all else fails, you better contact your mother! COME ON!

::type
about an hour a day. I just play songs i know though, i never learn them, I really need to force myself to learn new songs and improve im sick of playing the same 5 songs and 10 riffs all the time
that's the same problem I'm having guitarcam. I play the same songs all the time and get too frusterated when I try to learn something new and don't immediately succeed.

I practice about an hour a day. Not the highest quality practice either.