I saw a similar thread to this one in the Electric Guitar forum, so I thought I'd do one for amps.

These are just my opinions, please post your own.

I reckon that Marshall will start heading downhill. The only reason they still sell like they do is because of their reputation, and once people start associating them more and more with the MGs and less with Slash, they will begin to fail unless they change their practices.

Fender will take over the top unless their QC takes a dive because people still want to buy good clean amps, which they do better than anyone. The only chance I see of Fender failing is some kind of total world metal domination.

Line6 will move below Fender as modelers take over as the main practice amps (hopefully they upgrade the Spider series) and may take a larger share of the upmarket amp market, especially as Bumblefoot and co are using Vettas these days.

I see Randall growing if they start making more amps for other genres other than just metal. The RM series is a good start. The same can be said of B-52, and Bugera if they get their quality issues under control.

I see Vox pretty much staying the same. My prediction is that they will fold all their models except the AC30 and the Valvetronix, because people will always want that AC30 tone and the AD series are great for the money.

As for the high end companies like Mesa, Bogner, Soldano...my prediction is except for Mesa, who have a large and loyal following, most of them will either have to cater more for the lower end of the market or face oblivion unless the economy improves.

So, what are your opinions?
Quote by Cathbard
If all you had to go on was the forum you'd think a Decimator could cure noise caused by dodgey stage lighting and restock the ocean's population of sperm whales
marshall isn't going to head downhill. Just because a forum full of 13 year olds associates them with the MG doesnt mean the majority of guitar players do. Classic marshall tone is classic marshall tone, there will probably be a demand for that for a while and if they can keep bringing it they're all set
I don't think marshall will die fender will never take over anything hopefully line6 upgrades the spiders and with how metal has gotten more popular brands like randall peavey and mesa boggie and the like will start selling even more amps than before but some like you said may have to start making some less expensive amps considering 5-52 and bugera do make great amps that are affordable
Quote by LaGrange
Shouldnt have said the unspoken words of MG in the pit. Now look at what ya dun.

Quote by Mecler
A guitar made of wood?
That's such a ****ing brilliant idea!
i can see line6 upgradeing the spiders in the not so distant future. marshall will never go under, theres to many musicans who love the warm classic sound
Well, honestly, I disagree with a lot of things you've posted there.

Marshall will always sale MGs. Always.

Fender probably won't be the top amp company (how do you even qualify some company as #1?) because of the amount of metal heads around.

Randall will move up if they start making amps for other genres? That's not something that happens overnight, so don't bet on that. Bugera does have some cool looking stuff coming out, though.

I think the high end companies are okay. They probably won't sale drastically fewer amps because of the economy because they really don't sale THAT many amps, anyway. With their prices, I'm sure they'll still be profitable.
Feel free to call me Kyle.

Quote by ibz_bucket
Just so you know, I read everything you type in a Mike Rowe from Dirty Jobs voice.

Quote by tubetime86
I mean in Kyle's case, it is in the best interest of mankind that he impregnate anything that looks at him funny...
thats the thing, marshall amps arent marshall amps anymore, they've gone the wrong way... they need to make a push back towards the 800 series. like really, the metal tone comming out of some boosted jcm800s i've heard kills any mesa boogie.
Guitars:
Gibson Les Paul Standard
Gibson Explorer New Century
Gibson RD Artist
Fender American Standard Telecaster

Amps:

Framus Cobra
Marshall JCM800 2203 - 1960A

Pedals:

Crybaby 535Q
Rockbox Boiling Point Overdrive
If Bugera would get their QC under control (I play one but I'm sorta on pins and needles with it sometimes), make some clones of more sought-after amps than the Peaveys (the Marshall clones are a step in the right direction), and maybe even make some unique models, all while keeping their amps affordable, they'd easily become one of the top amp brands.
Quote by s.r.v.
marshall isn't going to head downhill. Just because a forum full of 13 year olds associates them with the MG doesnt mean the majority of guitar players do. Classic marshall tone is classic marshall tone, there will probably be a demand for that for a while and if they can keep bringing it they're all set

Totally agree, I have an MG series head and it sounds great.
Marshall just wanted to appeal to everyone by having some less expensive amps and things like that. They still have their skillions of loyal followers and I dont see that changing.
I dont see Marshall comin off the top of the mountain any time soon
Well, it seems the big problem for Marshall these days is that other companies do the "Marshall sound" better than Marshall. Orange, Splawn, etc.
Feel free to call me Kyle.

Quote by ibz_bucket
Just so you know, I read everything you type in a Mike Rowe from Dirty Jobs voice.

Quote by tubetime86
I mean in Kyle's case, it is in the best interest of mankind that he impregnate anything that looks at him funny...
I agree about the Randalls, cause they're relatively unknown around here, but make great amps as far as I can tell. Marshall is Marshall, and I doubt they'll crumble away. Fender is fairly solid in selling inexpensive amps, but their real beauties are in the blues deluxe amps. Clean and warm... I love them.
Needlenick wrote:

Dave Grohl has officially literally done everything.
Quote by SilverchairFan
Totally agree, I have an MG series head and it sounds great.
Marshall just wanted to appeal to everyone by having some less expensive amps and things like that. They still have their skillions of loyal followers and I dont see that changing.
I dont see Marshall comin off the top of the mountain any time soon

that wasnt my point. I think the mg suits its purpose as a practice amp, i would never get anything greater than like 20 watts in it because it honestly doesnt sound good. The mg series doesn't define marshalls sound outside of ug'ers who bash it. i bet it makes them tons of money, so there's an upside...
FWIW - I think the top selling amp company at this time is Peavey - not Marshall - I don't see that changing any time soon as they produce a good quality amp at an affordable price.
Love 'em or hate 'em you have to give Peavey credit I'll say that. Some of their new amps just announced will be perfect in many ways for lots of people. Vypyrs seem promising. Who knows, maybe someday they will have an amp that can be connected to the internet so a technician can dial into it for problem resolution or doing on-line jams.

I think it would be a long time before Marshall goes anywhere. The old model MGs were designed some time ago. Before valvetronix and vypyrs and superchamps. So they were dated technology wise. The new MG4s will be their test in this area. They need a Plexi division or something that creates a custom shop and hand builds amps. Maybe they already do this.

Fender is Fender.

Mesa is Mesa.

The boutiques will always be there, even in downtimes. To the point made before, their production is so much smaller and focused. There will always be customers for that.

I can forsee a lot of craigslist activity though