Yeah, I'm learning Cliffs Of Dover and can play the whole thing except for the hybrid picking part which I can play at 60% speed, and I've been learning it for 2 days. The thing is, my middle finger is really hurting from plucking the string. Is this normal? Am I doing this wrong?
Is it hurting on the tip, like when your fretting hand when you first started, or is it a muscular sort of pain? If it's the latter, then something is wrong. If it's the former, just keep plugging away - hybrid picking is a very useful skill.

Just for a quick pointer, which does NOT mean you should change the way you play it, EJ generally plays that passage using his ring finger on the right hand (because he prefers the tone).

T
Do you fingerpick often?

If not, then it's normal. Remember when you started playing guitar and you fingers on your left hand hurt? Well, it's that. You'll get callouses soon enough if you keep at it.
Is it hurting on the tip, like when your fretting hand when you first started, or is it a muscular sort of pain? If it's the latter, then something is wrong. If it's the former, just keep plugging away - hybrid picking is a very useful skill.

Bingo. What's up MT?
Yeah, its just the fingertip. Thanks guys for your help, I'll just keep on practicing-

*tick* *tick* *tick* *tick*
Quote by Myung-trucci
Yeah, its just the fingertip. Thanks guys for your help, I'll just keep on practicing-

*tick* *tick* *tick* *tick*

Don't worry about it - it will get easier. Just a matter of time, and once you get further along with it you'll discover a whole range of playing that becomes available to you. If you're serious about hybrid picking, one player I would recommend investigating is Brett Garsed. He is absolutely phenomenal at what he does (which uses A LOT of hybrid picking) and manages to pull out phrases that just boggle my mind. Best of luck.

T