My Ibanez RG321MH has a thin neck but pretty high action. Should I adjust it so I can play faster, and are there any disadvantages to having high action other than that it requires more effort to play?
Always keep it low. More effort to play is reason enough to lower it as far as possible.
Yes. What bridge do you have?

Play a Cort ?

Play with V-Picks ?

Every minute is to be Grasped........................................................................Time waits for nobody.

If you ever play slide guitar, having a slightly higher action will help immensely. Other than that, having too low an action will choke out your bends more easily, and some people would argue that the tone suffers in general. Of course, if you're playing with a heavily distorted tone, no-one will notice.

T
Low action doesn't really cause that, its just having a badly setup guitar makes having low action more likely to cause those things. Fret buzz shouldn't happen on a low action guitar unless the frets are bad, so if they are then you'll notice it more.
Originally posted by TapMaster
If you break a JEM you know your going to go to hell when you die

Only member of the 'This is too immature for me' club.
Quote by Myung-trucci
Is lowering it an easy job to to myself?

yea it's pretty easy. just lower it til it starts to buzz a little, then pick it back up til it stops.

the only thing high action is good for is slide guitar.
Quote by Ikonoklast
No offence, but how is this Advanced Technique?

well setup type stuff goes in the electric guitar forum, but he was asking how it would help or hinder his technique, so it could kinda go in here
Quote by The4thHorsemen
well setup type stuff goes in the electric guitar forum, but he was asking how it would help or hinder his technique, so it could kinda go in here

Yeah but that's technique, not advanced technique. I don't think understanding that really high action will be a hinderance to you is advanced.
Quote by Ikonoklast
Yeah but that's technique, not advanced technique. I don't think understanding that really high action will be a hinderance to you is advanced.

point me to the "technique" forum.

it doesn't exist.
Quote by The4thHorsemen
point me to the "technique" forum.

it doesn't exist.

Yeah i think the general rule is it goes in the Basics forum, if it's not Advanced then it's Basic, so it would go there, regardless of whether it has the suffix 'Technique'.
High action is never good, in my experience. You should try and put your action as low as possible without fret buzz and weakened bends.
higher action is (Imo) a resort for improving tone and sustain when your guitars' setup makes it buzz alot

been setting up my guitars for almost a year now and still gaining insight here and there. I'd recommend to give it a try yourself, as if you had the money to get someone to set it up properly for u anyway, u might as well have a good crack at it in the efforts of learning something, and handball it to em if you can't get it right =D *but don't tell em that
high action will kill legato right off. the strings are higher from the pickups so you'll have less sustain, which equals very thin, wispy tone, and of course it requires much more effort to play smoothly. Adjust your truss rod, shave the nut, screw down the bridge all the way if you have a trem bridge, do whatever it takes to lower the action.
Quote by yellowfrizbee
What does a girl have to do to get it in the butt thats all I ever wanted from you. Why, Ace? Why? I clean my asshole every night hoping and wishing and it never happens.
Bitches be Crazy.

▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ஜ۩۩ஜ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬