Hey guys! anyways I was wondering:
1. Does anyone have any experience with the EHX Knockout Pedal? http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Electro-Harmonix-Micro-Knockout-Pedal?sku=150409 I would like to get that SRV strat tone, and supposedly it can make humbuckers sound like single coils. I'm not interested in coil tap cause i just have a cheapy epiphone SG

2. Do they make something that can change straight 1/4 jacks to angled? its hard to find long cables that are angled-angled. Maybe like some kind of adapter? or would i have to buy a separate angled 1/4 jack and then solder it onto the cable?
Epiphone G-310 SG
Epiphone Hummingbird
Yamaha CG-101
Peavey Classic 30
1. I have no idea.

2. either wait until you find a store that sells them, or solder it, it's pretty easy to do
Now officially has too much gear to list

PM me if you want to know about my recording setup
I've been wondering about the Knockout too. I think it would be a great pedal to get some extra versatility and different tones. I wouldn't buy the claim that it makes humbuckers sound like single coils though. I reckon it could give a cool new sound, but won't really change a pickups sound into another pickup.

Does anyone know if its just a version of a Varitone or The THD ToneCurve, both of which are a kind of mid-cut.

BTW even if its just a cheapy SG a coil tap, or (better yet) series/parallel mod would be beneficial. You can do it yourself for a couple of bucks and save some money, and you wont need to carry an extra pedal around with you.
URL]http://www.tyquinn.com
Last edited by Ty Quinn at Apr 18, 2009,
hmmm I guess I would really need to try it out myself, but I dont really have time it sounds like a pretty sweet pedal to color your tone

and for the coil tap, is it a tough mod? I've never handled a soldering iron nor do i have wiring experience. also, is it possible to put it where a volume or tone knob is without removing the volume or tone control?
Epiphone G-310 SG
Epiphone Hummingbird
Yamaha CG-101
Peavey Classic 30
Quote by Dandaman4716
hmmm I guess I would really need to try it out myself, but I dont really have time it sounds like a pretty sweet pedal to color your tone

and for the coil tap, is it a tough mod? I've never handled a soldering iron nor do i have wiring experience. also, is it possible to put it where a volume or tone knob is without removing the volume or tone control?

It could be a little tough for someone without experience soldering, otherwise it's a pretty simple mod. You may need to buy a few things, you need pickups with four conductor wires, and at least two push/pull pots (for both pickups) these will work like a normal volume or tone control but it acts like a switch when you either push or pull on it. I like GFS cause they have decent merch for pretty good prices, http://store.guitarfetish.com/guelco.html from this page you'll want to get two of the 500k dpdt push/pull pots, you can use them both as volumes and keep the tone pots you have now. But if you want to completely upgrade you're electronics get two of the push/pull pots and two of the full sized 500k pots and the .022uf sprague orange drop tone caps are very nice, and as for pickups http://store.guitarfetish.com/pickups.html The pro tube lipstick humbuckers are four conductor, meaning they can be coil tapped, otherwise go to humbucker sized pickups and most of those can be coil tapped they should say that they can be coil tapped if the can. But if you're really pressed for cash go to the clearance section http://store.guitarfetish.com/clse.html and check out those humbuckers, again it should say that they can be coil tapped if they can be coil tapped. And as for the coil tapping it self, http://www.seymourduncan.com/support/wiring-diagrams/schematics.php?schematic=coil_splitting That's what it basically looks like and as for the the whole diagram (I couldn't find this with coil taps) this is what SG wiring would look like, so just replace the two volumes in this one with the push/pull pots http://www.seymourduncan.com/support/wiring-diagrams/schematics.php?schematic=2h_2v_2t_3w This can be quite a daunting task for someone new to soldering so you could take it to a shop and they should be able to do it but it would probably cost way more than it should, so if you know someone experienced with a soldering iron then they should be able to do it with little trouble, otherwise you could just experiment with it till you get it right. Good luck.
Last edited by david_highland at Jan 19, 2009,
thanks for the info man! just wondering, whats the difference between 250k and 500k pots? those diagrams dont look too difficult, just desoldering and soldering some wires. Hopefully I'll be able to take a look inside at the electronics to get a better idea what Im in for. So basically as long as my pickups have 4 wires, it can be tapped? also would i have to tap both pickups or can i just do the neck pickup?
Other than that, coil tapping sounds like a fun little mod...I cant wait till i have more time (ugh SAT's) to work on it
Epiphone G-310 SG
Epiphone Hummingbird
Yamaha CG-101
Peavey Classic 30
Quote by Dandaman4716
thanks for the info man! just wondering, whats the difference between 250k and 500k pots? those diagrams dont look too difficult, just desoldering and soldering some wires. Hopefully I'll be able to take a look inside at the electronics to get a better idea what Im in for. So basically as long as my pickups have 4 wires, it can be tapped? also would i have to tap both pickups or can i just do the neck pickup?
Other than that, coil tapping sounds like a fun little mod...I cant wait till i have more time (ugh SAT's) to work on it

Yeah no problem...depending on the value of the pot more or less of the high frequencies are bled to the ground, meaning 250k pots will make the guitar sound warmer than 500k which would sound brighter in comparison. The two values can be used on any pickup but not always with good results, 250k are generally used on single coils because singles are naturally bright sounding. 250k pots balance out the signal making the guitar sound warmer. If you used 500k pots on a single coil pickup it may end up sounding shrill, or too harsh. But humbuckers being warmer than single coils generally have 500k pots so higher frequencies are aloud into the guitars signal, however 250k pots with humbuckers may sound too muddy. It's all a matter of preference though, and it really depends on the pickup too. Single coils can be naturally warm warranting 500k pots, just like humbuckers can be bright warranting 250k pots. There are also 1meg pots which allow even more of the high frequencies into the signal, 1meg pots are usually used on humbuckers but just like 250k, and 500k pots they can be used with any pickups. And, I don't think epiphones come with four conductor pickups so I'm pretty sure you'd need to replace one or both of them, and no you don't have to tap both pickups if you don't want to so if you only wanted to tap one pickup you'd only need to buy one pickup and one switch, and from gfs they're dirt cheap and I think they come with instructions so the pickup should come with a paper that shows you how to coil tap it, so that shouldn't be too much trouble.
Quote by Dandaman4716
Hey guys! anyways I was wondering:
1. Does anyone have any experience with the EHX Knockout Pedal? http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Electro-Harmonix-Micro-Knockout-Pedal?sku=150409 I would like to get that SRV strat tone, and supposedly it can make humbuckers sound like single coils. I'm not interested in coil tap cause i just have a cheapy epiphone SG

2. Do they make something that can change straight 1/4 jacks to angled? its hard to find long cables that are angled-angled. Maybe like some kind of adapter? or would i have to buy a separate angled 1/4 jack and then solder it onto the cable?

Learn to solder, and make your own cables. Buy some angled 1/4" Neutrik, or Switchcraft ends and some cable of your choice-- and you'll never have to worry again, about getting custom cables to suite your specs.