Page 1 of 2
So I've looked from guitar to guitar, Agile to custom, to all sorts of stuff, now i'm officially gonna look for a guitar. So I've been wondering.

Esps=

I've heard a lot about these things, goods, bads they're rips of other guitars and how they still sound amazing even though they aren't gibson, and that they have emg pick ups that can be push pulled and able to sound like a single coil. And what not. But I'm not too sure how good they are having not played them myself. (Not sure what kind I'd get but that's for later)

Gibson=

Amazing guitars, (usually) just super expensive. For this I'd have to save up a lot more for, but in the end beneficial, but I'm sure that it'd take forever for me to save up for one and then finally be able to buy it. So

Basically I'm looking for a REALLY good rhythm guitar that looks REALLY nice, but can allow me to throw in a little bit of lead here and there.

So what I need from you guys: Suggestions, Even from other guitar companies i'll definitely accept it.

What I play: A whole lot of everything (except indie)
Personally I would say to go for an esp/ltd. They sound great (i have an mh-250) and play very well.
With gibsons you are paying for the name. There isn't too much of a different between standard gibsons and epiphones of the same kind. My brother has a gibson sg and i don't think it was worth the price that he paid (he doesn't either anymore).
Hmm to save you some cash, buy a high end epiphone they are gibson starter brand but most high ends are about as good as a standard gibson :P
HateCrewTabber!
seriously depends on your price range and which gibson models you are looking at.
Gibson are nice and versatile

esp are gread guitart i love them but not but are maily hard rock and metal guitars

and a decent ibanez is one of the most versatile guitar out there
Well I own a Gibson SG Special Faded (I know "Why would you need another guitar?") but I've tried play rhythm with it...it isn't exactly all that great when it comes down to it, I like it alot, but I don't want it to be my main guitar when I'm gigging with my band simply because it isn't made for my position in the band (rhythm guitar obviously)

Edit: Let's just say my price range is 0-2000. I've got about 500 right now and I can easily make a bit more up to 1000 at least, for the gibson I'd save up another 1000 sooo..that's how that'd work
Last edited by SGlover69 at Jan 19, 2009,
i say ESP.

If you have the money to burn, i say go nuts and buy a Gibson LP or SG Custom. But if you don't have more than $2,000, go ESP. ESP als have a much nicer variety of shapes, sizes, colors, scales, overall options, etc.

/personal opinion
Peavey XXX combo *upgraded screen resistors, Tung-Sol's, and 6L6's*
Schecter Syn Std. * modded, scalloped, and worn*
Schecter C-1 Elite *still sexy*
Ibanez AEL 12-string

"He who sticks his dick in peanut butter is fucking nuts"
LTD EC-1000 maybe?

LP style with EMG pups and it plays/sounds very nice

They also make an EC model with passive duncans in it if actives aren't your thing.

WARNING!: THIS USER HAS BEEN KNOWN TO BE AN OPINIONATED ASS. ALWAYS USE CAUTION WHEN READING POSTS AND NEVER USE NEAR AN OPEN FLAME.USE ONLY AS DIRECTED.KEEP OUT OF REACH OF CHILDREN.

I'd get the Gibson; EMG's aren't that good if you don't have a tube amp you can crank both volumes on. Plus it's more versatile.
THE FORUM UPDATE KILLED THE GRADIENT STAR

Baltimore Orioles: 2014 AL Eastern Division Champions, 2017: 73-78
Baltimore Ravens: 2012 World Champions, 2017: 2-0
2017 NFL Pick 'Em: 24-7
Quote by bjovi400
i say ESP.

If you have the money to burn, i say go nuts and buy a Gibson LP or SG Custom. But if you don't have more than $2,000, go ESP. ESP als have a much nicer variety of shapes, sizes, colors, scales, overall options, etc.

/personal opinion

Psh, that isn't opinion. That's pretty much truth. Unless you prefer gibson's necks. Then you may want a lower-end one but still, they can be iffy.

Also, TS, gibsons are all handmade. No 2 necks are alike. ESP is handmade too but ONLY ESP. Not LTD. ESP is probably more consistent with their dimensions than Gibson though.
Quote by SGlover69
So I've looked from guitar to guitar, Agile to custom, to all sorts of stuff, now i'm officially gonna look for a guitar. So I've been wondering.

Esps=

I've heard a lot about these things, goods, bads they're rips of other guitars and how they still sound amazing even though they aren't gibson, and that they have emg pick ups that can be push pulled and able to sound like a single coil. And what not. But I'm not too sure how good they are having not played them myself. (Not sure what kind I'd get but that's for later)

Gibson=

Amazing guitars, (usually) just super expensive. For this I'd have to save up a lot more for, but in the end beneficial, but I'm sure that it'd take forever for me to save up for one and then finally be able to buy it. So

Basically I'm looking for a REALLY good rhythm guitar that looks REALLY nice, but can allow me to throw in a little bit of lead here and there.

So what I need from you guys: Suggestions, Even from other guitar companies i'll definitely accept it.

What I play: A whole lot of everything (except indie)

Quote by Pac_man0123
Psh, that isn't opinion. That's pretty much truth. Unless you prefer gibson's necks. Then you may want a lower-end one but still, they can be iffy.

Also, TS, gibsons are all handmade. No 2 necks are alike. ESP is handmade too but ONLY ESP. Not LTD. ESP is probably more consistent with their dimensions than Gibson though.

And ESPs actually feel like some of the faster playing Gibsons.
Then there's this band called Slice The Cake...

Bunch of faggots putting random riffs together and calling it "progressive" deathcore.
Stupid name.
Probably picked "for teh lulz"

Mod in UG's Official Gain Whores
Last edited by Shinozoku at Jan 19, 2009,
One question

What is the average price range of ESP's?(I definitely would not go for LTD's)
Quote by SGlover69
One question

What is the average price range of ESP's?(I definitely would not go for LTD's)

I don't think I've ever seen a new model for under 1300 USD,but that's just what I've seen,there may be cheaper models.Also,turning your nose up at the higher end LTD models is a big mistake IMO.You'll be missing out on some nice guitars if you do.Go out and play some of them to get a feel for their characteristics.

WARNING!: THIS USER HAS BEEN KNOWN TO BE AN OPINIONATED ASS. ALWAYS USE CAUTION WHEN READING POSTS AND NEVER USE NEAR AN OPEN FLAME.USE ONLY AS DIRECTED.KEEP OUT OF REACH OF CHILDREN.

The ESP Eclipse I just posted will cost you around $1500. Something like the Will Adler sig (duncan 59's=versatility) is closer to $2k, but artist models tend to be of a slightly higher quality than the standards, if you don't mind looking a bit like a fanboy.

Bunch of faggots putting random riffs together and calling it "progressive" deathcore.
Stupid name.

Quote by Pr0gNut
I don't think I've ever seen a new model for under 1300 USD,but that's just what I've seen,there may be cheaper models.Also,turning your nose up at the higher end LTD models is a big mistake IMO.You'll be missing out on some nice guitars if you do.Go out and play some of them to get a feel for their characteristics.

Good point, I was kinda just taking everyone's opinion here as a "LTD's aren't that good" i figure they're basically like squier to fender.
Quote by SGlover69
Good point, I was kinda just taking everyone's opinion here as a "LTD's aren't that good" i figure they're basically like squier to fender.

An LTD with a model number under 400 probably isn't gonna be that great. 400, 500, and 1000 are wonderful quality (600 is artist models). However, I'd try to find one made before 09, because they just released a new line (401) that's made in Indonesia, as opposed to Korea =/

Stupid name.

Quote by SGlover69

Generally from what I've seen/played their high end models are great.Think of low end LTD models as squire and high end LTD models as Fender,and ESP models as handmade Fender models,if that makes any sense haha.A lot of the high end LTD models actually use the same wood/electronics/construction as the ESP models,but they're more affordable because they're factory produced in Korea I believe.

I figured I'd post some more pics of the high end LTD models

Those are all variations of the LTD EC-1000 I mentioned earlier.They also make a super strat and SG style guitar in that model number.They're all under 1000 USD,except for the EC FR which is slightly over that.

The 500 series is good too (alas, I don't care for the 100 series because of all that abalone. The only one that doesn't have it is the white Viper), and I believe the Eclipses in that series are actually thicker.

Stupid name.

Are any of these push/pull?Or are they all just straight normal tone, volume pots?
Most of them are straight. The Potbelly model I posted up there is push/pull though (Seymour Duncan P-Rails ). Although I'm sure you could do some rewiring to one if you liked how it felt and played

Heh, I feel like a hypocrite, as the new Potbellies are also made in Indonesia. The old PB400s are Korean made, but only come in black. The new ones come in black, white, AND goldtop.

Stupid name.

That is true. hm...I dont know, I think I'd wanna practice a little bit on a crapp guitar with the push pulls before I did it on a guitar i'd wanna gig with y'know?

But Either way, a lot of these guitars look great, how do EMG's sounded when single coiled?I've tried it on a schecter hellraiser and it sounded great, but it could just be that one guitar. Or it could just be me who knows
Quote by Shinozoku
The 500 series is good too (alas, I don't care for the 100 series because of all that abalone. The only one that doesn't have it is the white Viper), and I believe the Eclipses in that series are actually thicker.

I generally have a tendency to shy away from abalone as well,but for some reason that OFR EC-1000 looks gorgeous.I also think the vintage models use some kind of vintage tinted binding instead of abalone,but I'm not sure.

My vote is for Gibsons they'll be more versitle and worth more money if your decide to tell it (not that it would happen, cos u'll love it)
Quote by SGlover69
That is true. hm...I dont know, I think I'd wanna practice a little bit on a crapp guitar with the push pulls before I did it on a guitar i'd wanna gig with y'know?

But Either way, a lot of these guitars look great, how do EMG's sounded when single coiled?I've tried it on a schecter hellraiser and it sounded great, but it could just be that one guitar. Or it could just be me who knows

A mod to a different pot requires nothing more than some soldering, and the unscrewing and screwing of a couple of nuts

And the EMGs (as long as you have a tube amp or a REALLY nice SS) sound awesome in SC mode (they turn into a literal incarnation of the SC EMG). their single-coils are actually liked over their humbuckers for actual tone in many cases. However, you'd have to get replacement EMGs (the 81tw and the 89 or 65, along with the push/pull pots) for those EMG equipped ones anyway. And unless you did the 18v mod on them, they might not be as versatile as you'd like, which is why I only suggested models that come with passives.

Stupid name.

ah i see..hm..that'd require a lot of trouble to go through, but it'd be worth it don't you think?

Then again, it'd be bad to go through all that trouble just to mess up an amazing guitar. Maybe I could check out a few schecters...
It's not really all that much trouble, I don't think. You could always take it to a local shop to get it done for $20 (although the new EMGs would cost a pretty penny). Schecters are okay, but if you're looking for more high end, I'd at least find an ESP to try out in person. There's a much higher chance you'd turn out with a superior axe modded to your specs with the ESP than with a stock Schecter.

Stupid name.

true true. But the only thing is the nearest store i have is a skips music which all it has is an LTD which I do like.

But i have yet to try an esp. I think I'll look around for some whenever i'm out of town, I should be able to get one that way.
if you are considering gibson why not have a look at prs. they beat them at les pauls imo.
Get an ESP with passive pups, like the last one on this page http://espguitars.com/guitars_eclipse.html or second one on this page http://espguitars.com/guitars_horizon.html

or some of the artist models. Gibsons QC is lacking these days and you pay more for the name, ESP tends to be more band for your buck.

Also don't rule out the 1000 series of the LTD's, aside from the abalone (which you may like?) they're very nice guitars
Gibson Les Paul Studio Deluxe/Ibanez RGA42/LTD EC401vf
Into:
Whammy IV>Pitchblack>Dunlop 536Q>Fulltone Fulldrive 2>Hardwire TL-2>MXR 10 Band>Line 6 M13
Into:
80s Carvin x100b w/ cab
Gibson guitars and ESP guitars are quite different from each other. I suggest you try to narrow down what type of guitar you want. Saying you want a guitar that looks really nice and has a good rhythm and lead doesn't really mean much.

The definition of a guitar that looks nice varies from person to person.

If you want a very nice looking guitar in terms of finish and also versatile, I'd look at PRS and Hamer guitar. The only problem is they're not exactly cheap, they're over 2 grand I think.

Anyway, you need to narrow what sort of tone you'd like from the guitar, what features, what bodystyle and go out there and try out some guitars. Everyone here could say ESP is a lot better than Gibson or vice versa as a BRAND, but it doesn't really mean all that much. It also depends what you're comparing. A Gibson SG is going to be a VERY different guitar from like an ESP M-II that's Superstrat shaped and has EMGs and Floyd Rose on it.
my MG15DFX has a button that simulates the sound of one of the expensive tube marshall amps

Fender Stratocaster HSS
LTD EC-400AT
Traynor YCV-50 Blue
Peavey Envoy 110

Wishlist: Hamer USA Explorer, Gibson Explorer
why dont you try some caparison guitars??
they're pretty rare to find,but i have a website from australia
prices start from 2750 euros
;D
Quote by Pr0gNut
LTD EC-1000 maybe?

LP style with EMG pups and it plays/sounds very nice

They also make an EC model with passive duncans in it if actives aren't your thing.

this, better than gibsons in the same price range, better buy too.

gibsons are great, but they are way too overpriced, mainly just because of the name on the headstock
Quote by Bloodavian
Its not about the Radio its about talent, the front man has a bigger vocal range than Micheal Jackson and he can sing from heavey metal to high pitched ...No.12 on the top 20 under rated guitarists of ALL TIME...etc

1-Bloodavian 0-Forkman.

^Fail^
Quote by k-lap
Personally I would say to go for an esp/ltd. They sound great (i have an mh-250) and play very well.
With gibsons you are paying for the name. There isn't too much of a different between standard gibsons and epiphones of the same kind. My brother has a gibson sg and i don't think it was worth the price that he paid (he doesn't either anymore).

you took the words out off my mouth .i like esp guitars better any ways i think they play way better than gibson ,but thats me
Page 1 of 2