Page 1 of 3
Too many bands today sound the same.
Buck Cherry/Hinder/Saving Abel.

All the radio friendly music today sounds the same.
What happened to record exec's of yesterday?
Are they following the same suit as the film schools?

Pumping out more shi7 than a mentally challanged kid who just discovered the Play-Do-fun factory?

I want another Nirvana.
Led Zepplin, or even another Pink Floyd.

Not entirely the same era, but hey one can wish right?

I like some of the newer stuff like Hardcore, and Melo Death (If you wanna put a label on it); but where is the band that makes you say "Hmmm, now that sounds different! I can definitly get down to that!"?

I know some of you smart asses are gonna say "What of Tool and Pearl Jam?, They still tour."

I know, but when was the last time you heard them on the radio?

And yes I know of other bands that have that Doom and Gloom of old school Sabbath. (The Sword)

But what kind of publicity do they receive? Not much. Thats my point.

And then theres bands like Wolf Mother, whom use instruments from the 60's 70's.
They are kinda Zepplin-ish.
Again, wheres the publicity?

My point is this.
Tonight (or tommorrow), call your local Hard Rock station and request an oldie, and see if they give you a lame excuse for not wanting to play it.
("We dont have it", "Its lost", or "Its too old" are the usual responses)

If they play it, then awesome, that means your in one of those lucky places where they still care what the listener wants.

I just hope the bands of tommorrow use all their influences in their music.

Im so tired of listening to Metal/Hard Rock/Hardcore bands that all sound the same.

So lets bring back real influences!

Lets make that guy in the corner of the party yell "Hey! Turn it up! I havent heard that one for a grip!"

And get some real influences back on the air!

And mod's feel free to move this, I was unsure where to post it when I started. Sorry.
They play Pearl Jam and Tool all the time at 93x (Twin Cities hard rock station)
Gear:

Epiphone Les Paul Custom
Traynor YCV40 Custom Valve Combo Amp
Crybaby GCB-95 Wah
Boss DD-3 Digital Delay
Digitech RP-50
Well it's just like the 80's. A lot of it was classic rock/hair metal. That's what music had moved to. Same with the 90's with grunge/alternative rock/thrash metal. It's what music had evolved to.

A lot of people may not like today's music, but i'm sure it was the same way with previous generations.

You may not like rap and even I don't like rap but that doesn't mean that every rap song in existence is retarded and has no talent behind it.

And imo, buckcherry has a different style/sound than most modern bands do.
You can make fun of it if you want, but its so true. John Mayer said in an interview that "the problem is when the music industry becomes a manufacturer of music rather than just a distributer. In the 90's they did not have to manufactur anything, cause there were so many great bands all they had to do was distribute it, but now there is just not that same number of great artists out there, so the music industry has to manufacture their product." I think that is exactly right, enter American Idol, cough cough...
Radio is garbage. Its nothing but marketing pop music. Some bands refuse to have their stuff played on the radio. Music always seems to come back around every 20 years or so. I expect to see hair metal make a return for a little run. A grunge revival would be awesome. Thats all I listened to in high school in the mid-90's.

Most bands on the radio are all about making money and write crap that the emo/pop rock generation want to hear. Its pretty pathetic. There's very few big bands that I'll go see live, like Ozzy, AILD, and the Flaming Lips (saw them in OKC on a whim and it was an awesome show). But I mostly hit up the local scene in southwest Oklahoma and Dallas where there are some great bands that have never been given a shot because they won't conform to the current music scene thats "radio friendly".
Yeh you've got a good point. All i hear is katy perry or kings of leon here. N on tv the same crap, we get 1 hour a week of metal (which is poorly chosen) and the rest is all mtv bands that dominate the channels.
Welcome to big business. You market what sells, and metal and rock doesn't. The scene is definately there but the sales arn't even close to what the can get by taking some generic singer, computer enhancements and a fancy album cover with a ton of marketing thrown in.
Well, guess who is responsible for what goes on the radio? Besides even if there was a Pink Floyd clone of Radio they won't be on the radio because no average joe would want to listen to it and also the fact that songs would be too long. Bands like Wolfmother are generic trash, its 'watered down rock'.

There's still similar music around, whether or not you don't know how to find it is the problem. You can't rely on the radio to find music that you're looking for. If you don't like it, don't listen to it.

Also this doesn't seem very electric guitarish.
╠═══════╬═══════╣

THE LURKER σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣
Last edited by silly hats at Jan 19, 2009,
hey at least you get some form of rock music, we get stuck with all the stuck up snooby bitches that call themselves singers/songwriters that America seems to pump out more than oil.
Quote by coolstoryangus
Pffffffft schematics

Although i guess the OP will have to get used to reading them if he's going to buy a bugera..
Quote by gregs1020

along with fire escape routes...

Quote by devilmaycry1979
Too many bands today sound the same.
Buck Cherry/Hinder/Saving Abel.

Ok, I agree with you there.

I want another Nirvana.
Led Zepplin, or even another Pink Floyd.

You just complained about a lack of originality and now you're begging for it?
And yes I know of other bands that have that Doom and Gloom of old school Sabbath. (The Sword)

But what kind of publicity do they receive? Not much. Thats my point.

And then theres bands like Wolf Mother, whom use instruments from the 60's 70's.
They are kinda Zepplin-ish.
Again, wheres the publicity?

Sounding like another band isn't being original.

My point is this.
Tonight (or tommorrow), call your local Hard Rock station and request an oldie, and see if they give you a lame excuse for not wanting to play it.
("We dont have it", "Its lost", or "Its too old" are the usual responses)

Why do you want to move backwards?? I agree that the radio today sucks, but the music you're asking for has been done, it's time to move on.

In closing, the rock music of yesterday doesn't quite belong on the pedestal that some people like to put it on. Also, your solution isn't a solution at all. You're still asking for the radio to play unoriginal music, just from a different era. Also, remember... the radio is for people who either aren't smart enough or don't care enough about music to get it from other sources (like illegal downloading or satellite radio). For example, I don't listen to the radio at all, so why should they put any effort into making me happy, when they have hordes of people willing to listen to nu-metal while they sit in rush hour traffic?
Banging on a trash can
Drumming on a street light
Quote by silly hats
Well, guess who is responsible for what goes on the radio? Besides even if there was a Pink Floyd clone of Radio they won't be on the radio because no average joe would want to listen to it and also the fact that songs would be too long. Bands like Wolfmother are generic trash, its 'watered down rock'.

There's still similar music around, whether or not you don't know how to find it is the problem. You can't rely on the radio to find music that you're looking for. If you don't like it, don't listen to it.

True, except that Wolfmother is (was? who knows what the guy's up to at the moment) is one of the few bands who have succeeded in introducing the music of the 70s to this generation. So he can't solo like Jimmy Page, and there's some catchy choruse -, it's all still infinitely better than anything the aforementioned Katy Perry has spit out.

Don't bitch about Wolfmother at least they're trying
Phrases Label
The Bohemes
---
The White Strat w/Dimebucker
Tokai Explorer Korina
Ibanez RG570 Purple Neon
Gibson Les Paul Deluxe Ebony
Fender Telecaster Apple Red
Dano '59 Burgundy
Ibanez Artcore AM-73
Quote by bornfidelity

apparently they're working on a second album

And yes, radio music is ****, though respect most bands on the radio, mainly because they are a band and actually have talent, even if they are a bit mainstream
What's the point? The general public enjoys what's on the radio, you may not, why bother changing it? Just don't listen to the radio. Or find a station that plays classic rock or whatever it is you may enjoy. I can list maybe 2/3 stations off the top of my head that I know play alt/classic rock all the time.
Gear:
Fender CP Jazzmaster
Schecter PT Custom w/ Dimarzio crunch lab/liquifire
Marshall JCM2000 DSL+Orange 4x12
Orange Tiny Terror+Mesa Electra Dyne 2x12
Boss TU-2/NS-2/DD-6
Maxon OD808

MY BAND!
I hate the crap they play on the radio so I rarely listen to it. I have several MP3 players a few flashdrives that will play thru my car stereo and just play what I like. Most of what I like radio stations just don't play. I do not like classic rock or oldies and most of the new radio play music is kind of lame that's about all we get here in Boston. The only station I like WAAF has the worse reception in Boston so I just don't tune it in because the static and weak signal drives me nuts.

John
The way I see it: the radio is for people who don't wanna bother looking for music on their own.
RIP Jasmine You.

Lieutenant of the 7-string/ERG Legion

Quote by FaygoBro420
Yo wassup, I'm trying to expand my musical horizons if you know what I mean, so can anybody reccomend me some cool Juggalo jazz?
I find the reason most of us tend to not like radio music is that the grand majority of it is vocally driven (and not with like amazing vocals, just these generic nickelback, etc. "rock" voices with some computer editing) so people can sing/hum along in their cars and look silly when they stop at intersections.

Being as this is the electric guitar forum, we're obviously going to appreciate good guitar much more than sappy vocals or 100 songs called "I don't care" that then proceed to tell us over and over again that they don't care....

There is the occasional gem though. We were in the car and my girlfriend was like yey this is like my favorite song, these guys are so good. It was that Ludo band I guess, sounded pretty generic for most of the song, fun, but generic. Then there was a guitar solo. It wasn't the best I've ever heard but it wasn't bad at all.

The point is, we have different criteria for a good song than most people. Most people are happy with simple, catchy tunes. Most of us want to be wowed by sheer talent.
Gibson Les Paul Studio Deluxe/Ibanez RGA42/LTD EC401vf
Into:
Whammy IV>Pitchblack>Dunlop 536Q>Fulltone Fulldrive 2>Hardwire TL-2>MXR 10 Band>Line 6 M13
Into:
80s Carvin x100b w/ cab
Quote by johnro6659
I hate the crap they play on the radio so I rarely listen to it. I have several MP3 players a few flashdrives that will play thru my car stereo and just play what I like. Most of what I like radio stations just don't play. I do not like classic rock or oldies and most of the new radio play music is kind of lame that's about all we get here in Boston. The only station I like WAAF has the worse reception in Boston so I just don't tune it in because the static and weak signal drives me nuts.

John

AAF is the only decent station in boston. John, have you tried listening at 97.7?
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
The reason bands like Nirvana came to be was because the music scene became stagnant. Go look up E major, D major, And A major, learn them, then start a band. Thats the only way to make exciting music.

Also, you realise those were all mainstream bands of the time you listed? I want to hear more bands like the Fall and The Cure.

Try a band like the horrors if you want something a bit different.
Stop living in the 70s and shave that ****ing mullet.
There's No School like Old School.

So yeah, i'm getting active again on this fucking website.

FACEBOOK
We are not responsible, we cant do anything about it.
Rockers dont have bling bling and they dont hussle so they dont mean **** to people today, they are un-cool.
And when there is ''rock'', its only because there is a guitar in it, somehow.
I saw this girl a few weeks ago and we were talking about movies, and she suddenly came up with ''camp rock!'' while she did * \m/ *, i just walked away...
The whole Rock image is twisted by these posers you see these days.
They ****ing rape REAL music.
ipod + FM transmitter + radio or CDs + radio = Win
Quote by Eddie4President
Either you remind her of a girl, or she's not a lesbian.

Quote by blake1221
Jabba's real name is Katie.
When I was an amateur musician just starting to learn guitar (still am, but I was a beardless sapling back then) I complained often to my father about the music on the radio. I grew up listening to things like Beck, Smashing Pumpkins, Pearl Jam, CAKE, etc. in my car seat, and although he agreed with me, he knew that as a regular person, no one could change what the radio station played. So one day, he gave me this sage advice "Don't whine of ra change in the radio, BE the change in radio.". Regrettably, learning what the public liked more than what we did shot down my ambitions a bit.

To make a long story short, if you don't like something, initiate the process that leads to change. Challenge popular musical opinion, turn oyur fuzz past the breaking point, and start small before making radical new music.

There will never be another Led Zeppelin, Nirvana, Smashing Pumpkins (pre-Corgan ****fit), or anything like that, but theres still a glimmer of future for the music of tomorrow.

If all else fails, invest in an iPod and pirate some tunes, foo'!
All of you made very valid arguments. I agree with Kikral the most. We need a change, a huge F*c*en Change! And BTW I have no mullet.
When I quoted "radio friendly" I never mentioned Nickelback, although they are a great band. (very versitile)
Im just tired of all the new comers sounding the same. As for the guy who mentioned moving backwards...please...Some of the best artist of the 70's 80's 90's drew their influences from bands like The Beatles and The Doors..so go shove that shi* down some one elses throat.(like your some heapen plate of hot shi*...please)

I just dont understand where the hell the industry thinks that the Majority of the population wants to listen to what the "Minority" of the population wants to listen too? (cough cough, Hip Hop, etc.)

For those of you that get what I'm saying: We feel the change coming... and its soon!
Quote by bornfidelity
True, except that Wolfmother is (was? who knows what the guy's up to at the moment) is one of the few bands who have succeeded in introducing the music of the 70s to this generation. So he can't solo like Jimmy Page, and there's some catchy choruse -, it's all still infinitely better than anything the aforementioned Katy Perry has spit out.

Amen i loved Wolfmother. One of the best bands to come out since we started writing 200? one everything. The Sword is great to. More bands like these need to come out to influence some loser 12 year olds so they will like something else beside that damn rap and hip hop. Joe satriani is still here and i have heard him one the radio before and buckethead too(buckethead cause of chinses democracy) but still maybe some one will want to know who did that. I always have the classic rock station on because the new radio station playing rap and garbage and what has now become rock, but something will change if there are enough of us out there. Conform cause one day it will change.
Gear:
Schecter C-1 Artist
IbanezGXR20
Line 6 Spider ll 75
Ibanez Weeping Demon Wah
EHX Metal Muff
EHX Nano Small Stone
Alvarez FF60WR

Labyrinth Within
Emo, pop rock and hip hop are dominating the music scene right now. Which is extremely horrible because what is that going to leave us for music 20 years from now when the kids grow up and list todays garbage as their influences. My son is 4 and I've got him listening to everything I listen to like metal, punk, grunge, ska.

Take Rolling Stone magazine for instance. It USED to be a respectable magazine. Now they label everything as ROCK. How in the hell is Eminem and Britney Spears considered rock? Isn't rock and roll a genre? Makes me sick to my stomach with MTV, radio and record stores trying pawn this trash as music. I'd rather listen to country. At least country hasn't changed that much over the years :p
It's musical evolution, and I hate it.

The Beatles influenced pretty much everyone. They are the kind of band that there will never be again. Then, many bands took positive parts from their blues idols and The Beatles, to create something a little different. Hendrix and The Rolling Stones were also in there. I might be forgetting way too many bands though. I'm just naming a few, but evolution came from everywhere. Zeppelin, KISS, Maiden, Sabbath, AC/DC, Aerosmith, Van Halen, these bands kept coming. Then, more bands took what these guys had, and changed it. In came Metallica, for example, which took all these bands and brought it to a new level. In came a jealous Dave Mustaine, to follow the suit. Remember there was also glam rock (ala Gary Glitter) and disco in the mainstream aswell. In came hair metal, glam metal and stuff, and all those guys who followed after Van Halen. More keyboards, more make-up, more Spandex, more hair, etc. Somewhere along the line came Michael Jackson, which pretty much changed pop music forever, and influenced many people. Also came rap and New Kids on the Block, etc.

Anyways, it kept going like that, which is why we have bands like Fall Out Boy.
It's because of Nirvana that we have bands like Nickelback, and there are nameless others that follow.
UG's AC/DC Lover
Last edited by Rocker_94 at Jan 19, 2009,
Meh, Muse is going to take over the airwaves soon. Just give it time and things will be back in their right place.
Me no like Muse. Boring as **** to me.
Current Gear:
Audient iD22 interface
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
Quote by oneblackened

^Then ur doin it wrong. :P
Muse=/=Melodeath or Thrash.
Current Gear:
Audient iD22 interface
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
Quote by Wakisazhi
Meh, Muse is going to take over the airwaves soon. Just give it time and things will be back in their right place.

They've been on the radio in Britain for years but we're still overrun by generic indie bands that have never listened to anything apart from The Libertines, The Jam and Oasis and look like a topman threw up on them.
Skeet UK is awesome, he can get WD Music parts discounted.
you included nirvana with zeppelin and floyd?....

ew
Jackson KV2 USA Snow White/Black Bevels
This is like trying to keep a 108 year old man from dying. Radio and the record industry's demise is an inevitable fact of the internet age, it's merely a matter of time. Affordable independent recording + internet is the future. So if you really want to make a change, compose awesome music, then sell it yourself out of shows you book yourself, or your website you made yourself. Musicians worldwide need to stop letting this cocksuckers walk all over them.
RIFT.CANYON.DREAMS.

Quote by Oroborous
I'm trying to cover one of my bedroom walls in semen. I'm about half way done.

Pics coming soon
I actually like what they play on my local station 105.9

They play lots of hardrock and some older metal (still no early megadeth or metallica though)

Also quite frankly I am very happy they dont play any of that hardcore, deathcore, melodeath, death metal (except dethklok) because most of those bands are so concerned about being louder and faster than the next band that they forget to actually make the music sound good. They take themselves so seriously that I just laugh at them. Seriously how is all that growling/grunting and screaming not hilarious. This is all opinion however.
Last edited by ironman1478 at Jan 19, 2009,
Quote by oneblackened

Sorry pal, you're doing it wrong.
Gear List:
'97 Gibson Explorer w/ Duncan SH-4 and SH-2
Fender Jazz Bass 'Crafted in Japan'
Yamaha Acoustic Guitar
Vox AD30VT w/ VFS2
Roland Cube 30 Bass
Modded "St. Louis" Wah
Dunlop .88 Tortex picks
I wish I lived in KC. They have the best classic rock station in the country there. They play absolutely EVERYTHING. I mean, KC is the only place I've ever heard SRV being played on the radio.
Quote by necrosis1193
As usual Natrone's mouth spouts general win.

Quote by Silverstein14
man, Natrone you're some kind of ninja I swear

Quote by gregs1020
plexi

i realize the longshot that is. little giant to humongous one.

Rest In Peace Stevie Ray
If you don't like the music you're being shoveled by your regular media, then do something about it. Radio playing songs you don't like? Turn it off and deny them the ratings. Stores not stocking CDs of anything but the latest Top 40 singles? Stop buying from there. Online downloads always advertising crap? Don't click anywhere near those ads or better yet stop using that site.

Want to try something different? Use Google. Like rock music but tired of the fake-indie **** that's everywhere in Britain and America? Google for Norweigian rock bands or a Swedish metal band or some such. Put down your iPod and go through your Dad's old vinyl LP collection. Go see local bands, if they suck leave early and if they're good keep going to their shows and buying their EPs.

Or of course if you really want to see the music landscape change, start making your own.
Yes, I know everything. No, I can't play worth a damn.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.
Just don't listen to the radio, most stations are pretty bad anyway.
Listen to Airbourne.
Quote by Sonicxlover
Kensai, I think I'll get a flamboyant sig.

Quote by Sonicxlover

Quote by Sonicxlover

Parker Nitefly Mojo sonnn
Jackson DK2M Dinky
Carvin Legacy
Fender Blues Jr.
Roland Cube 30X
Page 1 of 3