Dear forum, (sorry if this topic is in the wrong section, I didnt know where else to put it)

When you guys have your amps mic'd at venues, do you keep your mids at about medium, way up, or killed?

I know mids are pretty critical to a guitar's tone seeing that guitar is a pretty middle pitched instrument, but especailly because I play metal and use some pretty heavy distortion, would killing my mids sound any good live? I'm really questiong that tinny "bedroom" metal sound that sounds really good when you're playing in your room quietly that you get with killing the mids.

I've also noticed when I go to see bands at local venues that have really good PA, a lot of guitar players have their mids killed and you can't hear them at all. It seems like no matter how the venue mixes them or how loud they go, it seems very noisy. I really wanna get away from that sound but I can't decide what settings would be best to do that. I've been really lucky to get the equipment I have (mainly my Mesa 4x12 cab) but i feel like I don't know what sound I want out of it.

So, to sum all this up, my question really is to know what do you guys think about a good guitar tone based on equalization.
Does the "bedroom" metal-killed-mids sound really transfer over well to being mic'd on stage or should I go for a more open tone with more mids?
spray blood all over your amp. It wont make the sound better but if you wanted the crowd to focus on you...

Time on earth is like butterscotch; you really want more, even though it will probably just make you ill.

Certified lurker
Mids are absolutley essential to be able to hear yourself. I bump mine up a few notches at practice, and shows. I do turn down the treble a bit at stage volume.
Gibson Les Paul Custom
Fender American Tele

F/S:
Orange Rockerverb 50
Orange PPC412
Yeah, you really do need to keep the mids higher. That really is the range that the guitar lives in among a band mix.
Alvarez dreadnought
Gibson SG
EC-1000
Homemade Strat (seymour duncan classic stack p/ups)
Vox Tonelab (original desktop model) with full board footswitch
Vox AD50
Quote by varamartin
Dear forum, (sorry if this topic is in the wrong section, I didnt know where else to put it)

When you guys have your amps mic'd at venues, do you keep your mids at about medium, way up, or killed?

I know mids are pretty critical to a guitar's tone seeing that guitar is a pretty middle pitched instrument, but especailly because I play metal and use some pretty heavy distortion, would killing my mids sound any good live? I'm really questiong that tinny "bedroom" metal sound that sounds really good when you're playing in your room quietly that you get with killing the mids.

I've also noticed when I go to see bands at local venues that have really good PA, a lot of guitar players have their mids killed and you can't hear them at all. It seems like no matter how the venue mixes them or how loud they go, it seems very noisy. I really wanna get away from that sound but I can't decide what settings would be best to do that. I've been really lucky to get the equipment I have (mainly my Mesa 4x12 cab) but i feel like I don't know what sound I want out of it.

So, to sum all this up, my question really is to know what do you guys think about a good guitar tone based on equalization.
Does the "bedroom" metal-killed-mids sound really transfer over well to being mic'd on stage or should I go for a more open tone with more mids?

No mids=no projection
More mids=projection, tone, punch, clarity, sustain, harmonics....
Then there's this band called Slice The Cake...

Bunch of faggots putting random riffs together and calling it "progressive" deathcore.
Stupid name.
Probably picked "for teh lulz"

Mod in UG's Official Gain Whores
yeah. that's what i've been doing with it generally for the past few months. that's good to know though. Killed mids are just too pinched of a sound to me, the best bands I've heard in my opinion have a very open tone.

And as for blood, maybe. gorecore band.
I hate when I go to a show and I can't hear what the band is playing because they have no mids =/

But yeah, scooped sounds great in the bedroom and sometimes on albums, but you need more midrange to sound great live.
Then there's this band called Slice The Cake...

Bunch of faggots putting random riffs together and calling it "progressive" deathcore.
Stupid name.
Probably picked "for teh lulz"

Mod in UG's Official Gain Whores
chuck everything at 10, mids around 3-4, no higher
Pedal GAS?
Empress Heavy
ISP Dec of some sort
Keeley Katana
TC Corona/Vortex/Dreamscape
im so glad i play cheesy old 80s metal. all the mids you like. the general concensus is more mids more punch. i think the actual tone characteristics of your amp and guitar selection is the most detrimental. if you kill the mids, you will not be able to hear yourself, and no one else will.

ie

a peavey 5150 and a marshall jvm. heavy amps, quite middy and the marshall slightly bright. the 5150 will always sound darker and heavier, and has loads of mids. the marshall will cut more, will sound a little brighter, more suited for rock.