Hey guys, I think I am going to get rid of my Peavey Bandit and go tube .. not sure just when cause my wife and I are both having surgeries, but eventually (hopefully sooner than later.)

Anyways, I have been looking at a lot of tube amps online and I know very little about them. I will start out by saying that I like to play stuff like Seether, Hurt, Breaking Benjamin, Disturbed but I also like to play classic stuff like CCR, Guns N Roses, ACDC, etc, etc. So I am going to need a very versatile amp.

Here are some of the amps I have looked at and please don't flame me about trying them out because there aren't too many guitar stores around where I live and the ones that are around have a litmited selection.

Peavey Valveking 112
Fender Hod Rod Deluxe 112
Bugera 6262
Bugera 333XL

I've read that the fender sounds good but it may not be able to do the distortion I am looking for and I was able to try a valveking in the store for just a bit, but I think I was playing through a bad cable or something and just couldn't get any real sound out of it. Never seen a Bugera except for online, but I like the tone they put out especially for the price and I have already read about the reliablity issues, but I believe I would be willing to take a chance.

The thing with the Bugera, I wonder which would be better for me. I need something versatile. I like the tone from both amps from the videos I have seen from YouTube. My biggest beef with the 6262 is you can't select the crunch mode with the pedal. But I wonder is the 333XL too much to do classic stuff like CCR with?

So sorry for the long post, but I am new to all this.

Forgot to mention price range is up to about $700. Thanks guys!
Quote by jedi_jackson
Hey guys, I think I am going to get rid of my Peavey Bandit and go tube .. not sure just when cause my wife and I are both having surgeries, but eventually (hopefully sooner than later.)

Anyways, I have been looking at a lot of tube amps online and I know very little about them. I will start out by saying that I like to play stuff like Seether, Hurt, Breaking Benjamin, Disturbed but I also like to play classic stuff like CCR, Guns N Roses, ACDC, etc, etc. So I am going to need a very versatile amp.

Here are some of the amps I have looked at and please don't flame me about trying them out because there aren't too many guitar stores around where I live and the ones that are around have a litmited selection.

Peavey Valveking 112
Fender Hod Rod Deluxe 112
Bugera 6262
Bugera 333XL

I've read that the fender sounds good but it may not be able to do the distortion I am looking for and I was able to try a valveking in the store for just a bit, but I think I was playing through a bad cable or something and just couldn't get any real sound out of it. Never seen a Bugera except for online, but I like the tone they put out especially for the price and I have already read about the reliablity issues, but I believe I would be willing to take a chance.

The thing with the Bugera, I wonder which would be better for me. I need something versatile. I like the tone from both amps from the videos I have seen from YouTube. My biggest beef with the 6262 is you can't select the crunch mode with the pedal. But I wonder is the 333XL too much to do classic stuff like CCR with?

So sorry for the long post, but I am new to all this.

Forgot to mention price range is up to about $700. Thanks guys!

I don't think you had a bad cable, it's just that the Valveking isn't that great.

Are you gigging?
No, not gigging and honestly probably never will, but I like to keep my options open. I know the Bugera is 120W which will be very very very loud, but I was probably going to install and attenuator on whichever tube amp I decide on.
im in virtually the same situation as jedi_jackson, im new to the tube and want a bigger amp - but combo because its cheaper. i jam a fair bit and do the occasional gig, but with a Crate GT212. it sounds awful and lacks versatility.
i want a modern hard rock sound (not classic rock, closer to The Butterfly Effect, Audioslave, 3 Doors Down) that sort of bridges into modern metal, maybe with a possibility of playing blues - i play, along with the above mentioned, Paramore, Muse, Linkin Park, John Mayer, Incubus, Trivium, Tool, the list goes on.

ive looked at:
Fender Hotrods (Deluxe or DeVille, just whatever I can get cheap)
Bugera 333-212 (only just found out about them today and they look good)
Marshall JCM-2000 DSL 401
Engl Thunder (really pricey)

the Hotrod was mainly because its a Fender and, as such, should have a nice clean sound. the Marshall was my initial choice because... well it's a Marshall - but upon listening to samples on the internet, they sounds as if they lack body; maybe it was just the recording. the Engl was something i tried out at my local guitar shop but it is incredibly pricey. the Bugera looks to be absolutely excellent, but I'd like to hear others' opinions on it/them.
the amp i get will most probably be coupled with a Line 6 POD xt Live.

basically, how does the Bugera weigh up against, say, a Mesa Dual Rec (taking price into account).

hopefully this helps you too, jedi_jackson
Pedal GAS?
Empress Heavy
ISP Dec of some sort
Keeley Katana
TC Corona/Vortex/Dreamscape
Last edited by Bob_Smith at Jan 20, 2009,
I like the valveking, but I dont think its really as good for the type of music you want to play as other amps. I think it shines with clean tones coupled with a strat or other single coil guitar. I own the valveking and use it for clean or classic rock type sounds, and anything heavier I use pedals.

That brings me to another point though, what kind/if any pedals do you have? The Peavey does take pedals well, and it has an effects loop in it. You could probably find one dirt cheap off Craigs list as well.
I'd get one of these 6505 combos that are about to come out. They are going to go for 600 bucks 1x12. If you can wait.

If not get a used 6505 2x12 combo.

Bugera amps sound great much better than the valveking. I got the 333xl got to enjoy it for about 9 months and then it finally went. Be about 2 months until it gets sent back to me.
The 333 and 333XL are the Bugeras with the main reliability issues. The 6260 and 6262 are less iffy from what I've heard. I'd check out the aforementioned Peavey combo coming out soon, too.

I'm obliged to mention the Randall RM50 though, as you can get all those tones with the JTM (Maybe the Brahma), SL+, and 1086 modules Might wanna get the RM100 if you plan on using alll three sounds in the same gig though, AND the amp itself is expensive, but if you wanna change the sound, it's ~$200 for a new module
Then there's this band called Slice The Cake...

Bunch of faggots putting random riffs together and calling it "progressive" deathcore.
Stupid name.
Probably picked "for teh lulz"

Mod in UG's Official Gain Whores
Peavey classic 30
Quote by chip46
"I'm discontinuing production on the Timmy now as well. It might come back into production at some point down the road, but probably not because people will just clone it anyway cause they're stupid jerk face doo doo heads. -Paul C."
I will definately have to check out that new peavey combo coming out! I will also have to get online and listen to some clips of the randall. nowhere around where I live that I know of sells randall amps. Also, my bandit does have an effects loop, but I can't ever get it to sound good. I have a hughes and kettner warp factor distortion pedal, but the sound from the peavey when distorted whether by it's own distortion or the pedal just doesn't sound great at all! don't know if it's the speaker of what, but just not real happy with it.