hey everyone,

I must say I'm confused.
the orange head has one 16 ohm output and two 8 ohm outputs. the cab has two inputs and runs at 8 ohm (mono) or 16 ohm (stereo).
am I supposed to connect both 8 ohm outputs of the head to both inputs on the box while running stereo (like I would do with two separate 16 ohm cabs)?

I don't get the circuit .. the cab has two Celestion Vintage 30 in it.

thanks very much in advance!
I might be wrong, so dont go trying this, but wouldnt it just be 1 8ohm output to the mono 8 ohm input on the cab?
Gibson Les Paul Custom
Fender American Tele

F/S:
Orange Rockerverb 50
Orange PPC412
Quote by amnesiacphlgm
am I supposed to connect both 8 ohm outputs of the head to both inputs on the box while running stereo (like I would do with two separate 16 ohm cabs)?

Yes, do that. Orange are kind of confusing with their labelling of outputs, the 8 ohm outputs can be connected to 1 8 ohm cab or 2 16 ohm cabs (because it's in parallel, it equals 8 ohms).

Of course, you could just connect it to the 16 ohm output.
A metal band?
Gear:
A Guitar with an LFR > Korg Pitchblack > Behringer EQ > Hardwire CM-2 Overdrive Boss SD-1 > Hardwire CR-7 Chorus>
Orange Tiny Terror >
LzR Engineering 212 cab

My other amp can run Crysis
Last edited by FischmungaXTR at Jan 19, 2009,
I can't resist these(sic). I don't know the cab but if it has two vintage 30's then almost certainly they are 16 ohm speakers and the sockets are switched so that the speakers are parallel wired when you are using them in mono giving you 8ohms but separated when you use the second socket. Try and see if there is anthing written on the speakers themselves just to confirm this.

Sorry I don't know enough about the amp but it shouldn't be too fussed about running the 16 ohm output into an 8 ohm cab at practice (low) volumes. The safest thing would be to contact Orange for advice and just use it at reduced volumes until they reply. It is pretty hard to damage any well designed amp just with these levels of mismatched impedence unless you absolutely thrash them over hour long periods so just be sensible.
Quote by dcdossett65
I might be wrong, so dont go trying this, but wouldnt it just be 1 8ohm output to the mono 8 ohm input on the cab?

yes, it certainly would

Quote by FischmungaXTR
Yes, do that. Orange are kind of confusing with their labelling of outputs, the 8 ohm outputs can be connected to 1 8 ohm cab or 2 16 ohm cabs (because it's in parallel, it equals 8 ohms).

Of course, you could just connect it to the 16 ohm output.

2 16 ohm cabs, right. but if I have just one cab with two inputs at 16 ohm, would it be practically the same? I'm asking because I'm confused by the circuit ..

Quote by Phil Starr
I can't resist these(sic). I don't know the cab but if it has two vintage 30's then almost certainly they are 16 ohm speakers and the sockets are switched so that the speakers are parallel wired when you are using them in mono giving you 8ohms but separated when you use the second socket. Try and see if there is anthing written on the speakers themselves just to confirm this.

Sorry I don't know enough about the amp but it shouldn't be too fussed about running the 16 ohm output into an 8 ohm cab at practice (low) volumes. The safest thing would be to contact Orange for advice and just use it at reduced volumes until they reply. It is pretty hard to damage any well designed amp just with these levels of mismatched impedence unless you absolutely thrash them over hour long periods so just be sensible.

I think it wouldn't be worth the risk, as I have other options ..

thank you very much for your responses!
Last edited by amnesiacphlgm at Jan 20, 2009,
If you can, Unscrew the back to see how they are wired. If I were you I'd want to work out how to wire the cab up in stereo.