my a string keeps breaking on my guitar after a month or two
i am kinda of gettin sick of restringing my guitar and was wondering why it keeps breaking
maybe useful information:
i mainly use ernie ball strings usyally standard 10-46 gauge
i have an esp ltd ex-400 with factory set-up
damn, why do they break? do you hurt them so hard? try fastfret or something to clean your strings
Gear
-----
Ibanez SA-S32 FMTL
Engl Screamer Head
Engl SS412 V60 Celestion
Engl Z5 Footswitch
Ibanez Delay
BOSS MegaDistortion
Strings dont usually last that long. You should be changing them every month. Doing it every month is hardly annoying. If you really dont want to change them, get Elixirs. They're about $20 a set but they last ages.
I dont think it would be the main reason for your problem, but ernieball strings break on me alot, more so than others. Are you doing large bends when they break? Or is it during normal play?
Quote by Gabel
You are EXTREMELY WRONG! I have played it. I own an 18W and it would be an awful stereo amp, it's way too bright, breaks up too easily and so on. Secondly, why would a guitar store sell an hifi amp.
i am just playing them normally, yeah i have found that ernie balls have been breaking alot faster than other strings i have used
but i have only used ernie balls on the is guitar
i have had guitar strings last for at least 3 months with everyday use
and my mate hasn't changed his for a good 6 months and he plays all the time like me
Where are your strings breaking at? It could be that you are not winding them correctly, or a problem at the bridge. Take it to a shop, and have them look at it for you. I use Ernie Ball strings, (same guage as you), and have not had any problems.
Quote by Stretch_Wilson
i am just playing them normally, yeah i have found that ernie balls have been breaking alot faster than other strings i have used
but i have only used ernie balls on the is guitar
i have had guitar strings last for at least 3 months with everyday use
and my mate hasn't changed his for a good 6 months and he plays all the time like me

Hmm, sounds like a poor setup maybe? Bring it into a shop and tell them your problem? In the meantime mabey google reasons for strings breaking?
Quote by Gabel
You are EXTREMELY WRONG! I have played it. I own an 18W and it would be an awful stereo amp, it's way too bright, breaks up too easily and so on. Secondly, why would a guitar store sell an hifi amp.
0_o I use Ernie Balls exclusively and they last me months.

Maybe it's the way you're stringing your guitar? Are you giving the strings any slack when you put strings on or do you just loop it through the hole and twist the tuner?
PSN: Chris_P_Chikin
nah its not the truss rod.
My guess is that you have something sharp on either your saddles, nut or tuners. Which strings break and where abouts do they break? You may need to get a bit of VERY fine sand paper or steel wool or even a file and smoothen out everything.
i just googled some reasons i think it is the setup of the bridge just for the A string
thanks for that guys
also how do i know the adjustments that are needed for the bridge saddle
so the A string is breaking at the saddles?
Do what i said to smoothen the saddle out before you do anything else
is adjusting the saddle something i should get some with a bit of experience to do
coz i don't want to buy new strings and **** and it not been done corrctly
coz i can't adjust the saddle with strings on my guitar
You know I had the same problem on my strat. You might want to check the tuning pegs and see that the edges where you loop the string through arent sharp. Otherwise the strings will go pretty quickly.You might also want to check anywere else and see if there is any rubbing.
if you need to know how to adjust string height then click the green link in my sig.

if you want to know why the strings are breaking, there are three reasons.

1. your string brand.
2. you're keeping them on a couple of months.
3. you have a sharp edge where the strings are breaking (like said)

to help you use a string longer than a couple of months, (not sure why you'd want to)
but to do this, locate the sharp edge and put lube there. if needed try a pass with a file. (obviously dont file a nut cut)

but usually when it's a saddle edge, you'll do best be replacing the saddles with a set similar to graphtech string saver saddles.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
Last edited by jj1565 at Jan 19, 2009,
could the problem be caused by the saddle level
coz i am 98% certain that it is the saddle causing the strings to break as the string break right before the saddle
or is it more that there is a little bit of **** not filed out of the saddle