Ok it's time to step up to a tube amp. Now I'd rather spend as little as possible obviously. I've only been playing for about a year, but I cant stand my spider III anymore.

My Choices thus far are

B-52 112 Combo (Even though there are reliability issues)
Laney LC15R (Used, dunno how long itll last at my GC)
Fender SuperChamp XD
Blackheart BH15H ($350 + Cab cost)
Blackstar HT Series HT-5H head+cab $399)

Bands I like/Music id like to learn : Slayer, Nile ,Ozzy Sabbath, Maiden, Sonata Arctica, Opeth, Symphony X , Dragonforce, BfmV, Avenged Sevenfold, Killswitch Engage, Atreyu(Yes I just added the 4 most hated bands here) Lamb of God, Coheed and Cambria, Black Tide, and more I cant be bothered to list. That being said, Im still learning, going to be taking lessons soon. I also enjoy a lot of clean or melodic songs.

Now Each amp has their ups and downs, I dont want anything over 15watts really, It's for practice only, no gigging, EVER. I've demo'd the Laney and the Superchamp, the rest I cant find in stores(though I did demo the B-52 AT-100 head.)

I'm wondering what would be a better option for me both amp and pedal wise. I'm willing to spend upto $150 on a pedal or pedals. Max cost of everything must be under $500, on a strict budget for this. I'm not against buying used. Though warranties are nice.

I know that if I get the Superchamp it wont handle metal\hardcore well so a Metal Muff would be good Right?

Or should I step up to another amp, and maybe get a MXR M-108 equalizing pedal for some tone shaping. Really don't know. Also was considering a Multi Effects with expression pedal. Remember im not gigging so best tone possible is not required. a Zoom or a RP250+ is an option for that.

Dunno, need to try more out before I get anything, too many options, not enough money.
Last edited by Ma|ichi at Jan 19, 2009,
do you really need a tube amp???

cuz if you're only practicing a vypyr 30, roland cube 30x, or the vox VT series will be better if you are only practicing.
and you dont need pedals either, they have built in effects.
PSN USERNAME: MetuulGuitarist7
STEAM:MetuulGuitarist7
Origin:MetuulGuitarist7
feel free to add me
Quote by WTF!!is a TAB
do you really need a tube amp???

cuz if you're only practicing a vypyr 30, roland cube 30x, or the vox VT series will be better if you are only practicing.
and you dont need pedals either, they have built in effects.

Ive played the vypyr, and the cube, didnt like the tone all that much(vypyr i tried was faulty too, also the sanspera pedal is expensive)

I already have a Microcube, I considered the cube 30x but I prefer tube tone and distortion.
Quote by Ma|ichi
Ive played the vypyr, and the cube, didnt like the tone all that much(vypyr i tried was faulty too, also the sanspera pedal is expensive)

I already have a Microcube, I considered the cube 30x but I prefer tube tone and distortion.

if you are adding a distortion pedal like the muff to a tube amp you wont get tube distortion.
if you really want a tube amp that i think will not have any problems wait for the peavey 6505+ 60w 1x12 combo better than the b-52's distortion, imo. and none of those amps you put could do metal, exept trash but no metal core stuff. i suggest looking at an orange tiny terror they could do a little metal but that is it.

YOU NEED MOAR INFO ON THE 6505+ ?!?!?!
I GIVE YOU MOAR INFO!!!!
https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1048769
feel free to add me
Last edited by WTF!!is a TAB at Jan 19, 2009,
Quote by WTF!!is a TAB
if you are adding a distortion pedal like the muff to a tube amp you wont get tube distortion.
if you really want a tube amp that i think will not have any problems wait for the peavey 6505+ 60w 1x12 combo better than the b-52's distortion, imo. and none of those amps you put could do metal, exept trash but no metal core stuff. i suggest looking at an orange tiny terror they could do a little metal but that is it.

YOU NEED MOAR INFO ON THE 6505+ ?!?!?!
I GIVE YOU MOAR INFO!!!!
https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1048769

I'm in the US, orange amps are too expensive here. I dont just want them for metal, i do want nice cleans. I need something more versitle, i dont care that im not going to ever get the exact same tone as other bands. The 6505 is more than double the price, ive already looked at other peavy's, bugeras, and so on.
Last edited by Ma|ichi at Jan 19, 2009,
Quote by Ma|ichi
I'm in the US, orange amps are too expensive here. I dont just want them for metal, i do want nice cleans. I need something more versitle, i dont care that im not going to ever get the exact same tone as other bands. The 6505 is more than double the price, ive already looked at other peavy's, bugeras, and so on.

then what is your MAX budget??
can you go used??????
feel free to add me
Problem is versatilty + tube can run you into some bucks. If your not gigging i wouldn't venture much beyond 5 watts for home use or your never gonna drive the amp anyway. Plug some pedals into a Valve Junior or a good multi and see what you think, but even then it's only gonna take about 5 minutes to exceed your budget.
Dean Icon PZ
Line 6 Variax 700
Dean V-Wing
Dean ML 79 SilverBurst
MXR M 108
H2O Chorus/Echo
Valve Junior (V3 Head/Cab and Combo)
VHT Special 6
Phonic 620 Power Pod PA
Wampler Super Plextortion
Line 6 Pod HD
Quote by scott58
Problem is versatilty + tube can run you into some bucks. If your not gigging i wouldn't venture much beyond 5 watts for home use or your never gonna drive the amp anyway. Plug some pedals into a Valve Junior or a good multi and see what you think, but even then it's only gonna take about 5 minutes to exceed your budget.

tried the valve junior, didnt like that its just volume and nothing else, dont feel like modding, I do agree on 5 watts, but for the 20 dollar price diff id rather get a Super champ over a vibro champ(Chan select and such)

I do play in my finished basement which has a lot of space, lots of natural reverb. Can crank it up.

And as I see it, pedals can always be traded or moved along with other amps. I like the sound of the metal muff.
It's just the volume control that makes the VJ cool. Probably the best low cost platform for pedals I've seen. I'm running a Wampler Superplextortion into an MXR 108 into a POD XT Live and can get any tone you can imagine from Buck Owens to MegaDeath and it does them all well. Sounds better then any modeling or SS amp I've ever heard. can get loud enough to pissoff the neighbors or low enough you can barely hear it in the next room. My weak spot now is the cab (I need a little better bass frequency response). I'll take care of that this year. I've got a few bucks tied up in this, but in the end I'll have exactly what I want for home practice and small gigs. way to many people buying modeling amps and wondering why their multi sounds like crap through it. If you want a modeling amp get a modeling amp. if you want pedals or multi fx get something like a VJ that's actually made for it.
Dean Icon PZ
Line 6 Variax 700
Dean V-Wing
Dean ML 79 SilverBurst
MXR M 108
H2O Chorus/Echo
Valve Junior (V3 Head/Cab and Combo)
VHT Special 6
Phonic 620 Power Pod PA
Wampler Super Plextortion
Line 6 Pod HD
Peavy too much wattage, hard to find. Cheap on ebay but no real guarantees
Sovtek, Too much wattage, hard to find.
Laney AOR, not good for cleans.

I'd prefer something I can demo.
Super Champ XD gets my vote here. $300 new takes pedals well if you think you need some. But it should hit most of the tones you're after straight up.
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.