I've been playing for about a year and I've been using a pick for almost the entire time. Just recently I've learned a couple of songs that are fingerpicked, and after messing around with some of them I've found that I can play faster without the pick and more accurately. I like finger picking a lot my only problem is that I end up really only using my thumb, and then throwing in my ring finger for travis. If i switched from using a pick to my fingers would I have to learn a new technique? Is it hard to make the switch? Just wondering
Guitars
Fender American Strat
Gibson SG

Amps & Effects

Fender Superchamp XD
Digitech RP-3
Boss SD-1
What type of music do you want to learn to play?

I would suggest a pick if it is any form of rock music, for jazz/blues it's really up to you, fingers/thumb give you a different tone, and for classical I would definately suggest using your fingers.
I play a lot of different stuff from Guns & Van Halen tp John Mayer to Jack Johnson, I use a pick for rock and fingerpick the other stuff. I was always under the impression that if you fingerpick you can't really get that crunch you get from a pick but Derek Trucks does a damn good job of it so I'm not sure. I guess I could just use it where its appropriate
Guitars
Fender American Strat
Gibson SG

Amps & Effects

Fender Superchamp XD
Digitech RP-3
Boss SD-1
Well it's kind of impossible to play faster with your finger than with a pick. Your alterned picking must be messed up. You can however hit different strings on the same time with more accuracy.
Quote by MorbidBeliever
Well it's kind of impossible to play faster with your finger than with a pick. Your alterned picking must be messed up. You can however hit different strings on the same time with more accuracy.

Not neccesarily true, some people can play damn fast without picks. Wes Montgomery always played with his thumb for example, and playing this with a pick or without one:

http://tw.youtube.com/watch?v=N3Lt0UdhrLo

That would be just as hard to play with a pick I imagine.
In my oppinion,using your fingers is a lot harder then using a pick. Because obviously, it requires you to build up some finger strength. But if you really like finger picking, then by all means go for it.
If you watch some video of Brian Setzer playing, he uses both. Granted, it may not be your style, but what he does is he bends his index finger so that the tip is against the base of that finger and he holds his pick there when he switches to finger pick.

As to whether or not you should decide to learn to fingerpick, you have nothing to lose. At worst, you get a new style in your repetoire. I myself am working on my Travis picking, and I love it. It just has it's own kind of unique feel.

Quote by MorbidBeliever

Try playing Jerry's Breakdown with a pick. It's really a matter of preference. What you can do with a plectrum another guy can do better on a banjo with fingerpicks.
I was an Internet Witness in the mike.h Murder Case.
Quote by Pauldapro
this man is right. everything he says is right. so, stop killing people and get therapy ffs
Quote by MorbidBeliever

My teacher knows a guy that's played classical guitar for 30 years, and has an insane finger picking technique, it's absolutely flawless, 16NPS at 280 BPM. Uses a lot of reststroke though.
Quote by MooshMooshMarc
I didnt have anything planned out, and I didn't know **** about improvising, so it was like "OH SHI- SOLO TIME" so I kerry-kinged it.