Doesn't the video for 'to have and to have not' zoom in on Lars' amp at the start?

I reckon if you could find that video, you could zoom in and work out the settings from that.
Quote by BrianApocalypse
Doesn't the video for 'to have and to have not' zoom in on Lars' amp at the start?

I reckon if you could find that video, you could zoom in and work out the settings from that.

Did lars cover a billy bragg song?!
Quote by BrianApocalypse
Rancid are the best punk band ever.

Tim Armstrong is a songwriting genius, is a complete fashion diva and has an incredible singing voice.

He doesn't sound like Opie from family guy at all.
:/
Quote by BrianApocalypse

Tim Armstrong is a songwriting genius, is a complete fashion diva and has an incredible singing voice.

Lars Frederiksen's tone sucks anyway. Speaking of which, why do so many people want to copy Slash's tone? It sucks too.
create your own god damn tones!
Quote by BrianApocalypse

I think that Lars has a nice tone, but it sounds awful on the record because Tim Armstrong is such a crap producer.

Slash's rhythm tone is actually pretty nice. I hate his lead tone though, with the neck pickup. Urgh.
Yeah, his rhythm tone is OK, but not great. Mick Ronson, on the other hand, is an example of a great LP lead and rhythm tone IMO.

Edit: Now that I'm actually listening to a GNR song, I don't really care for the rhythm tone either. His amp just doesn't sound very warm.
Last edited by werty22 at Jan 19, 2009,
Just listening to appetite - I've always thought G'n'R to be quite a 'warm' band, but you're right about Slash and Izzy's guitars, they're really not that warm tones at all.

From what I can tell from these headphones (too late for speakers) the guitars are very middy. I like middy guitars (I just bought what's apparently the world's middiest pickup), but on close inspection the balance is way out.

But I think that's the Marshall amp's fault, they always seem to have a really loose low mid and no presence.

The tone I had for Cold Megan sounded like that (but with more high end). It wasn't my fault though - I was going for a Steve Jones sound, which I nailed until the modern equipment fired it up. I learned my lesson though - roll off guitar volume when recording.

And yeah, Ronson does have a good tone. And he's one of those 'great basics' players.

I love how this thread has become about tone.

That's our punk forum!
Yeah, Steve Jones' tone is good too. Some people say it's just because he did so much overdubbing, but I don't think so because I like his live tone too.

The following is just a stream-of-conciousness thing rant that I began because Jimmy Page is such an iconic Les Paul player.

I don't see why people like Jimmy Page so much. His tone is awful. Very muddy. And his solos usually just meander up and down pentatonic boxes. And compared to other famous players, his vibrato is not very good.

Jeff Beck, on the other hand, has a great tone. He has good (though often wild) vibrato, and he doesn't simply go up and down pentatonics. I don't really know much of his music, but this is the impression I get from the little I've heard.

Whenever I read interviews with good guitarists from the '70s , they seem to be influenced by the Yardbirds, and they usually seem to list Beck, Page, and Clapton as their influences. And they always seem to emphasize Beck among the others. They always seem to count him as their favorite. But Page and Clapton get all the attention now because of the popularity of their post-Yardbirds material. Ronson, Bob Quine, Mick Jones, and Johnny Thunders all seem to like JB a lot.

There's not really a point to all this, it's just what went through my mind when I was thinking of LP tone.
Wow, that Billy Bragg cover weirds me out, haha. It's not terrible, I dunno. It just wasn't meant to be.
brnh.bandcamp.com
Yeah, I like JB.

The king of the Les Paul is obviously Peter Green.

Green is probably the only player from that era that doesn't get trashed by Jan Akkerman. Akkerman's not an exclusive LP player either.
Lars uses somekind of Marshall JCM900 and a Epiphone Les Paul Custom and Gibson SG 60's Tribute i think.
2011 Cakes thinks that Lars cover is really terrible. Thanks for reminding me this existed.