Ok so i was reading my guitar gremoire scales and modes book, and i came across a series of

Scales where the phrygian mode or position was the 1st, Lydian was the 2nd etc.....

Most of the scales ive been playing all start with the Ionian at 1, Dorian at 2... So, What i want to know is, Can a Series of scales be based upon A mode, ex: If the 1st is an E phrygian, you wold be playing in the key of E phrygian?

Or are you still playing in the key of C major? (because E phryg. is the 3rd in the cmajor scales that i play.) I need guidance UG!!!
Even thought you're still playing the same notes as C Ionian, it's now called E Phrygian. You're just starting on and emphasizing a new root note.
Quote by michal23
Read the ****ing sticky.

I did, It didn't say anything about my question.
Most of the scales ive been playing all start with the Ionian at 1, Dorian at 2... So, What i want to know is, Can a Series of scales be based upon A mode, ex: If the 1st is an E phrygian, you wold be playing in the key of E phrygian?

You're getting mixed up here between modes and shapes. The scale shapes you have been learning are the 1st, 2nd, 3rd, etc shapes of the Major scale. If you play any of those over a C major progression, they will sound like C major. If you play them over a E phrygian progression, they will sound phrygian.

It's exactly the same as moving between C major and A minor - the same patterns, but a different sound completely. If you don't understand this then you should not be thinking in terms of modes - although I recognise it's not your fault, as obviously you have read that the different positions of the major scale can be named Ionian, etc - these are not actually "modes" any more than the "Key of C major" is a pattern starting on the 8th fret.

Once again, if you don't understand this, go and learn more about the basics and leave the modes alone!