Hey guys. If i tuned t standard and dropped the bottom string to A, what size should i have on the bottom string for good tension?
Gear:
Peavey JSX Head
Ibanez PGM301
Randall R212CB

Simple.
60, at minimum.
I play guitar in a ska band.
Modded MIM Strat > Fender Tuner > Bugera V55HD > Custom built 2x12
You could get away with a 58. thats normal for a seven-string which is tuned to B
ESP Eclipse Standard Series W/ PRS Santana II Pickups
PRS SE Soapbar II
Peavey 5150 120w Head
Avatar 412 Traditional Cab(v30's+G12H30's)
Malekko, Rocktron, T-Rex and MXR/Dunlop pedals
There is going to be a dramatic difference in both tension and the actual string gauge in such a tuning, but with that considered i would go for a 60 minimum, i use a 64 at B, so its a rounded starting place.
Okay, I'll try 'em out. Cheers, but is there anyway I can make the hole for the string in the nut bigger? I think it's graphite, though I'm not totally sure. Probably is.

Quote by hmmm_de_hum
There is going to be a dramatic difference in both tension and the actual string gauge in such a tuning, but with that considered i would go for a 60 minimum, i use a 64 at B, so its a rounded starting place.

Thanks man. Do you mean tuning the bottom string to that will affect the tension on the rest of my strings? Or do you think it could totally screw the neck up if i drop it that low?
Gear:
Peavey JSX Head
Ibanez PGM301
Randall R212CB

Simple.
Last edited by willyman101 at Jan 19, 2009,
Im in drop A, comfortabley, with a set of .11s
Quote by konigstiger
PCSpeaker is right,

Damn right I am.

Bugera 333xl > Crybaby Wah > Marshall Guv'Nor > Boss SD1 > J&D Les Paul / Vintage Lemon Drop / Modded HSH Squier / Vintage Warp / Standard Squier Strat /Tanglewood Acoustic!
Quote by willyman101
Okay, I'll try 'em out. Cheers, but is there anyway I can make the hole for the string in the nut bigger? I think it's graphite, though I'm not totally sure. Probably is.

Thanks man. Do you mean tuning the bottom string to that will affect the tension on the rest of my strings? Or do you think it could totally screw the neck up if i drop it that low?

What i mean is that with an octave splitting the 2 low A's, you would need like the first 5 strings from a set of 10's or something plus like an extra heavy string, in order to have even tension upon the guitar if you know what i mean. It wont have a direct probelm as you have compensated for the tuning, but it will just feel weird more than anything.

Hypothetically you would have a set like so:
10 - E
13 - B
17 - G
26 - D
36 - A
60 - A (lower)

...and to make the nut slot larger, just gently use a file to make the slot large enough, it is non reversable so just be careful how much you remove.
Quote by flashmdg
maybe an..... A string?

itll be an octave below normal A

also: it depends on your scale. im sure i got away with 10s for like one song once. the heavier the better though
Get off this damn forum and play your damn guitar.
Quote by hmmm_de_hum
What i mean is that with an octave splitting the 2 low A's, you would need like the first 5 strings from a set of 10's or something plus like an extra heavy string, in order to have even tension upon the guitar if you know what i mean. It wont have a direct probelm as you have compensated for the tuning, but it will just feel weird more than anything.

Hypothetically you would have a set like so:
10 - E
13 - B
17 - G
26 - D
36 - A
60 - A (lower)

...and to make the nut slot larger, just gently use a file to make the slot large enough, it is non reversable so just be careful how much you remove.

Cool man well I use 10s anyway so I was planning on that... 11s in standard is pretty difficult for me. And I might give it a try, if i end up doing this tuning then I will, issue is, I don't know what it's like to play in it. But i'll figure it out, thanks guys
Gear:
Peavey JSX Head
Ibanez PGM301
Randall R212CB

Simple.