Okay, I'm a very big noob when it comes to gear ... I currently own a Epiphone Les Paul Junior (actually love this) and a Line 6 Spider III, so I am thinking about buying a new amp. Okay, first of all ... I play mostly punk, with some clean stuff and a bit of metal (Metallica kind of stuff). Secondly, I want a half-stack... yes, I know that I could probably get a better deal with a combo, but to be honest, I very much would rather have a half-stack than a combo.

I play about 5 - 10 gigs a month and I would like a LOUD amp as my rhythm guitarist and drummer are hard to compete with (rhythm guitarist uses a Marshall MG100HDFX half-stack).

I have 600 pounds, about 900 dollars I believe, I cannot buy used as my parents are anti-ebay and I live nowhere near a guitar shop, I will be purchasing off of something like www.gak.co.uk or something similar.

Influences: HIM, Sex Pistols, Green Day, The Red Hot Chili Peppers, Ramones, Metallica, Kill Hannah, Sum 41, Misfits, NOFX etc.

Thanks in advance

EDIT: Also, the tone does not have to be amazing; I love the tone that I can get out of my Spider, I think it's amazing how I can get it to sound, but others dislike Spiders ... so if they are really that bad and I think they're half-decent ... my tone on this new amp does not have to be loads better, but a bit in preferance XD
Last edited by SkinnyVampire at Jan 19, 2009,
try to convince your parents that used is fine, because an Engl thunder 50 would be perfect.
Also check out the Randall rg50tc and Bugera's
I think you should get yourself to a guitar store and try a nice amp. Really, it will give you a different outlook on your tone. If you still like it then good for you... Spiders are ok at best.

To compete with your other guitarist you won't need a halfstack... but if you want to spend the extra cash for something that's a bit too large, then fine. 30 or 50 watts tube will completely drown him out, and all that takes is a 212 combo or a head and 212 cab.

╠═══════╬═══════╣

Solder fume huffer σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣

Electronic Audio Experiments
Quote by Ghold125
try to convince your parents that used is fine, because an Engl thunder 50 would be perfect.
Also check out the Randall rg50tc and Bugera's

bugera 6260? because i did like the sound of this amp when i watched youtube's reviews and stuff
maybe a valveking, or a windsor
Quote by RetroGunslinger
this is like comparing a flushing toilet to a hole in the ground
Quote by fifer
maybe a valveking, or a windsor

windsor would have been so perfect, the fact it has no clean though is the sole reason i am not buying it

Quote by Ghold125
dont trust reviews on youtube. All the audio is highly compressed

compressed? how so?
How big are the gigs that you're playing?
John Frusciante
Slash
Jeff Beck
Matt Bellamy
Jack White

HT-5 Owners Thread

Owner of an 1/4 watt custom combo.

Quote by Garou1911
^This man speaks the language of win.

Donate to my cause
Quote by k7apex
How big are the gigs that you're playing?

200-500 ... sometimes we are un-mic'd as well, most times no-one would notice if i am not even playing ... there is no point competing with the others, hence the new amp
Go with a B-52 AT-100 Half Stack or a Peavey ValveKing Half stack.

Pretty good tone for the price and will blow away the Marshall solid state.

If you go cragislist or convince your parents, look for a blackstar artisan series, or a mesa boogie dual rectifier, used.

Also, you said you like line 6, look for a valve head or try to find a cheaper HD150 head. Love those things
John Frusciante
Slash
Jeff Beck
Matt Bellamy
Jack White

HT-5 Owners Thread

Owner of an 1/4 watt custom combo.

Quote by Garou1911
^This man speaks the language of win.

Donate to my cause
Quote by k7apex
Go with a B-52 AT-100 Half Stack or a Peavey ValveKing Half stack.

Pretty good tone for the price and will blow away the Marshall solid state.

If you go cragislist or convince your parents, look for a blackstar artisan series, or a mesa boogie dual rectifier, used.

Also, you said you like line 6, look for a valve head or try to find a cheaper HD150 head. Love those things

do you mean the spider?
no.
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
Way to show everybody up jackass.

Guitar: _______________ Amp:
_ Ibanez SZ320 _________Fender Hot Rod Deluxe

V-Picks!
Don't you mean HD147? Either way, it's an entirely different beast. One of the best high-gain modelling amps on the market, and probably not what you're looking for.

You might be able to get an Orange for that budget. They're reasonably priced in the UK, and even a Rocker 30 could blow away your other guitarist.

╠═══════╬═══════╣

Solder fume huffer σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣

Electronic Audio Experiments
Check out an Engl Thunder, sparkly clean tone (I like me a good clean tone) and hi gain also, if thats what you like.
50 watts tube, that should be plenty I would imagine.
Hope this helps!
Good luck!
Origonally Posted by Lauke_101
And you're right

Gibson>Moog>KJL>Homebrew 2x12

Saving 4 any one of these:
Soldano Hot Rod
Splawn (anything)
Laney GH50L
Cornford Roadhouse
Marshall JCM2000
KJL 4x12 to match KJL head