Hey UG.

I currently own a cube street which is a solid state. I quite like it, particularly for all the effects it has. However, I've begun to realise that it's dead hard to get good tones at a louder volume. I play in a school band, and I might be getting a real band together soon, and so I'm probably going to need something louder. Valve amp step right up.

Can someone be so kind as to clear some things up for me?

What do I need to know tech wise about them?
What is the difference tone wise between a combo, half stack and full stack?
Can I mix different heads and cabinets together?
Is a cabinet the big ol' speaker?
Do heads make any noise them selves?
Do valves die particularly quick? If so, when they're dead, are they unusable, or just not so great?
Can I use the pedals I have at the moment, a Boss Os-2 and Crybaby, or will they sound bad?
Do they break if they're carried around?
What are some good company's to look at?

Sorry for my newbishness.
What do I need to know tech wise about them?not alot
What is the difference tone wise between a combo, half stack and full stack?combos are one box stacks are 2 or 3
Can I mix different heads and cabinets together?yeah, alot of people do
Is a cabinet the big ol' speaker?it's 4 speakers
Do heads make any noise them selves?no, dont play through one w/ out a cab, youll break it
Do valves die particularly quick?they last awhile If so, when they're dead, are they unusable, or just not so great?they dont make noise anymore
Can I use the pedals I have at the moment, a Boss Os-2 and Crybaby, or will they sound bad?theyll work fine
Do they break if they're carried around? if youre rough with them theyll break
What are some good company's to look at?Blackheart, Vox, Crate, B-52, Peavey, fender, orange
Quote by guitardude34875
be the music, not the scene
not much!

None

Yes

Yes

Nope

Do valves die particularly quick? If so, when they're dead, are they unusable, or just not so great?
It depends on how much you use them, you should change them every couple of years, but they don't really die

Can I use the pedals I have at the moment, a Boss Os-2 and Crybaby, or will they sound bad?
Keep those, they'll sound fine.

Well if you handle them properly no. Just be careful. If it falls it breaks.

There are loads. The prices are different if you live in the states or in Europe, so try and buy something from your continent.
Tell what you want and we can help you further
What do I need to know tech wise about them? How not to blow the tubes - USE STANDBY.

What is the difference tone wise between a combo, half stack and full stack? Full/Half stacks have alot more low end than combos, as tehy push more air.

Can I mix different heads and cabinets together? If the impedance is correct.

Is a cabinet the big ol' speaker? 4 speakers, generally, all 12"

Do heads make any noise them selves? No, if they arent plugged into a cab, you'll fry the amp.

Do valves die particularly quick? If so, when they're dead, are they unusable, or just not so great? 6-12 months of constant usage, at high gain and volume.

Can I use the pedals I have at the moment, a Boss Os-2 and Crybaby, or will they sound bad? They'll sound good, Os 2 in the FX loop methinks.

Do they break if they're carried around? Not if your careful.

What are some good company's to look at? At a low price range, Peavy Valvekings are your first one, i reccomend Bugera, i use a 333xl and LOVE it for death metal and blues
Quote by konigstiger
PCSpeaker is right,

Damn right I am.

Bugera 333xl > Crybaby Wah > Marshall Guv'Nor > Boss SD1 > J&D Les Paul / Vintage Lemon Drop / Modded HSH Squier / Vintage Warp / Standard Squier Strat /Tanglewood Acoustic!
not much. theyre loud. theyre amps.. umm when you turn them on keep the volume on 0 and them on standby for a minute or so for the tubes to heat up. or you will break them faster.

no idea.

no idea. but it doesnt look as cool when you do so dont.

yes

no

mine havnt died yet. had my amp for 2 years now.

yes.. and they will sound BETTER!'

BE CAREFUL WITH THE HEAD@!!!! CARRY IT LIKE YOUR FIRST BORN
the cab is just a big ol speaker so not much problems with banging that around.

marshall lol xD
i have an orange
Good, I thought you were calling everyone using one a fool, in which case I'd have to call you an idiot. Anyway, here you go;

What do I need to know tech wise about them? First, don't touch the tubes with your skin. Use a cloth. Second, the tubes will need to be replaced occasionally, about once every year or two.

What is the difference tone wise between a combo, half stack and full stack? It depends on what head and combo we're talking about. For balance, if we're talking a set of Orange Tiny Terrors, the combo will have a slightly more woody tone I believe, while the stack would have a chimier sound. The full-stack I think would just be louder, but I'm not a good person to ask this one.

Can I mix different heads and cabinets together? Yes.

Is a cabinet the big ol' speaker? Big ol' speakers.

Do heads make any noise them selves? I don't know as I've only used a stack once, and I was onstage and cranking it and had earplugs in, so if so I wouldn't have heard it.

Do valves die particularly quick? If so, when they're dead, are they unusable, or just not so great? They die particularly quick if you get unlucky and have one blow, treat them roughly or touch them with skin. As for using dead ones, I've never had a dead tube, so I don't know. Similar to the stack-halfstack-combo question, I'm not good to ask the second one about.

Can I use the pedals I have at the moment, a Boss Os-2 and Crybaby, or will they sound bad? Tubes make everything sound better IMO. They'll be fine.

Do they break if they're carried around? Only if you swing it like Pete Townshend did in the 70's or Angus Young still does to their guitars, or if you hit the tubes against something.

What are some good company's to look at? Depends. What tone do you want, and what's your budget?
THE FORUM UPDATE KILLED THE GRADIENT STAR

Baltimore Orioles: 2014 AL Eastern Division Champions, 2017: 75-87
Baltimore Ravens: 2012 World Champions, 2017: 4-5
2017 NFL Pick 'Em: 92-54
Thanks alot everyone.

This has cleared pretty much all of it up, but I have two new questions. What is impedance? (I'm an idiot) And what's an effects loop?
Flip the power switch, wait 2 minutes and then flip the standby switch.
You have to let the valves warm up. Always have a the correct impedance & wattage rated speaker connected to the head. Smoke and fire is not normal.

The more speakers the more bass.

Yeah, as long you match up the impedances (ohm's) and the cab can handle the power.

A cabinet is a box with speakers in it.

No. Remember, always have a cab hooked up to a head when you turn it on.

No. They'll last if you take care of 'em. When they blow, or become microphonic, they're done for.

They'll sound better than they did in front of your Cube, but you could do with some better pedals.

Depends on your definition of 'carried around.' Don't throw your amps around, down stairs etc. etc.

Depends on what you're looking for.

Impedance?
The measure of resistance. For amps, you have to match the impedance (measured in ohm's) with the impedance of the cab. Usually it's 4, 8, or 16 ohms.

Effects loop?
It's a connection between your preamp and poweramp, allowing you to put effects, like delay, after the preamp, where it'll sound better if you're using preamp dirt.
Last edited by Mitchell? at Jan 19, 2009,
don't touch the tubes with your skin. Use a cloth.

myyyyyyyth
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
Way to show everybody up jackass.

Guitar: _______________ Amp:
_ Ibanez SZ320 _________Fender Hot Rod Deluxe

V-Picks!
Quote by Exo M7
myyyyyyyth

Explain how it doesn't work then. Never hurts as a precaution either way though.

Make sure the power tubes are biased properly (you can use a $15 multimeter from Radio Shack for this), never turn it on unless plugged into a cab, don't spill beer or any other liquid on it.

Combos only have one or two speakers. One speaker doesn't have as much bass as 2 speakers that don't have as much bass as 4.

As long as the impedance matches, yes. Generally heads and cabs both either have multiple outputs/inputs for this or switches so you can use a variety of cabs.

Yes, they come in either 1x12, 2x12, or 4x12 configurations. There are also 2x15 cabs for guitar.

Not really, they need a cab to be plugged into, or else they'll die/blow up after being on for a while.

No, they usually last for at least a year or two, frequently longer. When one dies (usually a power tube), you'll need to replace them. This generally costs about $60 for a 100 watt amp or more depending on what brand or tube type you go with.

So many people use these pedals with tube amps, any pedal can be used with any amp really.

They break if dropped or mistreated. Do you realize that at LEAST 90% of touring musicians use tube amps?

Randall, Traynor, Ceriatone, Peavey, Bugera, Laney, Mesa/Boogie... There's actually a thread for this stickied at the top of the page. It needs to be updated though.
Then there's this band called Slice The Cake...

Bunch of faggots putting random riffs together and calling it "progressive" deathcore.
Stupid name.
Probably picked "for teh lulz"

Mod in UG's Official Gain Whores
Quote by necrosis1193
Explain how it doesn't work then. Never hurts as a precaution either way though.

I replaced my valves on Saturday and just yanked 'em out.
Glass doesn't conduct electricity.
Quote by Pookie6
Yngwi3, You win this whole monstrosity of a thread.

Quote by uk.mace
For the best tingle, use Original Source mint. That shit feels amazing on your balls.

Godfather of The Diezel Mafia
Quote by Yngwi3
I replaced my valves on Saturday and just yanked 'em out.
Glass doesn't conduct electricity.

>< That's not why you use a cloth. If I'm right, skin oil builds up and heats the tube up more in a certain spot, which, while it sounds good considering warm tubes generally means your amp is pushing tone out, it's not with this, as it does nothing for tone and wears it faster.

Quote by necrosis1193
>< That's not why you use a cloth. If I'm right, skin oil builds up and heats the tube up more in a certain spot, which, while it sounds good considering warm tubes generally means your amp is pushing tone out, it's not with this, as it does nothing for tone and wears it faster.

Not true at all.
This only applies to stuff like halogen bulbs, which are far hotter.
Quote by necrosis1193

THis.
Quote by Horlicks
Not true at all.

Hmm...very well then, suppose I was wrong. Good to know once I need to replace my amps tubes though.

Quote by necrosis1193

I see, I see...
Quote by Pookie6
Yngwi3, You win this whole monstrosity of a thread.

Quote by uk.mace
For the best tingle, use Original Source mint. That shit feels amazing on your balls.

Godfather of The Diezel Mafia
Quote by Horlicks
Not true at all.
+1 for the correct answer. But if you are OCD about it, it won't hurt to use a cloth unless you drop the tube and it smashes on the floor.