Hey there guys

I currently have an Orange PPC112 cabinet for my AD30, but want to upgrade to a 2X12 cab because quite frankly even though it performs admirably, it still lacks the bottom end I desire.

Anyways, I'm what you'd call a "budget" guitarist in these harsh economic times, and noticed nearly a $200 difference between an open-back Orange 2X12 and a closed-back one.

I'm used to playing combos, so I'm new to the world of different cabinets and such.

Thus I ask:

So what's the difference between an open-back and closed-back cabinet?
Gear:
-Krank Krankenstein JR 50W
-Orange PPC112 w/ Celestion Vintage 30
-Gibson Les Paul Studio (white)
-Gibson Flying V
-MXR Carbon Copy
-Digitech Whammy
-Digitech JamMan
-Boss SD-1
-Epiphone Hummingbird
An open back gives the sound put out by the speakers room to escape, thus softening the bottom end.

Closed back basically makes ALL the air go out the front, giving you more punch and low end.

Think like this: Classic rock/blues/jazz=open back. Metal=Closed back
Then there's this band called Slice The Cake...

Bunch of faggots putting random riffs together and calling it "progressive" deathcore.
Stupid name.
Probably picked "for teh lulz"

Mod in UG's Official Gain Whores
So in other words, unless I'm going to be playing metal, I should go with an open-back?

Will it still cut it for classic rock type stuff that has a bit more lower end?
Gear:
-Gibson Flying V
-MXR Carbon Copy
-Digitech Whammy
-Digitech JamMan
-Boss SD-1
-Epiphone Hummingbird
^Not really at all, most of your classic rock bands used Marshall 1960 cabs, which were 412 closed back cabs. If you need more lows then a closed or ported cab is what you are looking for, open back cabs are more airy, and seem to spread more evenly through out the area and are louder, where closed back will be bassy with only a very certain area that will be covered evenly with sound.
Quote by Cachao

Johnbryant you are obviously a genius

My Gear
Custom USA Standard Telecaster
Peavey Triple XXX 212 Combo
Peavey MS412 Cab Celestion G12K-85's
POD 2.0 (the ultimate practice setup)
Guild DV6
Last edited by Johnbryant at Jan 19, 2009,
Makes one of the biggest differences in my personal sound along with the valves i have in my amp.
I love the semi-open backs - they seem to give my sound a 'free' feeling.

Though like Johnbryant mentioned about Marshall cabs - this was quite different as lots had their amps at very high volumes with little or poor P.A.

Its a simple 1or2 choice of what sound you want. Clearly explained already i think.
^Technically, that's true. Having a 2x12 will increase your low end, but you'll basically get more with a closed back than with an open back.
Then there's this band called Slice The Cake...

Bunch of faggots putting random riffs together and calling it "progressive" deathcore.
Stupid name.
Probably picked "for teh lulz"

Mod in UG's Official Gain Whores
Ah, OK. Thank you very much everyone! This helps a lot. I think I'll go with the closed back.

Thanks again!
Gear:
-Gibson Flying V
-MXR Carbon Copy
-Digitech Whammy
-Digitech JamMan
-Boss SD-1
-Epiphone Hummingbird