Seriously, this is getting annoying but I don't know where to put it so I'll ask the Pit.

When I play I need to look at my fingers. I've done this since I started playing and I do this with all the instruments I play.

Any help so I can play and actually face the audience?
it naturally goes away
My Guitars:
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Epiphone AJ
Ibanez Strat Copy

Amps:
Orange Tiny Terror Head
Old beaten up Peavey cab
Marshall MG30DFX
Cut off your fingers then you won't have to look at them. You cant look at them if they're not there.
*edit*

Too cruel... um...wear a guy fawkes mask
Quote by Chrisiphone
Oh wow this is a guitar forum!
Quote by JacobTheMe

Karvid is sexy

Quote by KAS1981
Why is it that some folks quote praise from other members in their sig lines?
Its lame.
Fix your eyes at a place in your room, then play any song slowly and gradually build up speed until you can play without looking.

Practice makes perfect.

Epiphone Les Paul Standard w/ SD Alnico Pro II's
Fender Aerodyne Telecaster & Stratocaster
Marshall JCM 800 4104 combo

E-Married to Funny_Page
I do the same when I play alone, but mostly cause I don't have anything to look at. I dont need to look at them.
People are bastards. Bastardcoated bastards with bastardfilling.
Force yourself not to look at your hands when you play, if you can find someone willing at band practise hand them a bag of small bolts and get them to throw them at you everytime you look at your hands. It worked with our singer when he had hands in his pockets. You need to really force yourself not to look.
Quote by boreamor
Ah very good point. Charlie__flynn, you've out smarted me

People
should
smile
more

crit4crit on 'acoustic 1 (with piano)' here

Rate my playing skills please.
Get about 20 guys and ask them to stand in the front row naked. Works for me.
Sail upon the open skies
I do this too. I am getting better at not looking though. I think you just have to get used to the feel of the instrument. You have to see where your fingers are in your head.
Quote by PaperStSoapCo
Vagina's tend to be not all that great looking most of the time. It's all... flappy. Looks sloppy.

I'd have to say guy junk wins but not by much. It's like winning a beauty contest against Steve Buscemi.
Do you also look at your fingers whilst jerkin?

If not, just imagine your guitar is your phallus and proceed to beat it dry.
Practice finding frets while not looking at them. Also practicing a riff enough to the point where I can play it in my sleep allows you to not look at them.
"A sense of purpose overrides reason."- Terry Goodkind

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace."-Jimi Hendrix

\,,/GETCHA PULL!!!\,,/
- the late and ever-loved "Dimebag" Darrell Lance Abbott
Quote by goest
Do you also look at your fingers whilst jerkin?

If not, just imagine your guitar is your phallus and proceed to beat it dry.

Errrrr....I'm a girl.
try playing some easy stuff while not looking. start at playing two easy chords without watching etc. it just takes practice.
A hero of war, Yeah that's what I'll be

(.)(.)..........(.)(.)..........(.)(.)..........(.)(.)..........(.)(.)..........(.)(.)..........(.)(.)
When you practice more your hand will know where on the fretboard you are and where the majority of the other frets are....

Edit, oh Fassa it's you, why do you keep changing your avatar? It's confusing lol
Last edited by maggot9779 at Jan 19, 2009,
Quote by goest
Do you also look at your fingers whilst schlicking?

If not, just imagine your guitar as your lady-parts and proceed to climax them dry.

Fine. Fixed.
after lots of practice (years) you'll eventually learn the feel of the fretboard and naturally your hand will slide into position. i used to play great while i looked at my hands, but the second i would look up, it went back to day 1. i can play rhythm while looking up, and a lot of intermediate songs, but i still look down when i shred or play complicated things, just to help the process along. i don't think at that point its a detriment. look at any "guitar god" and when they get to a solo, they're staring at the fretboard.
Well take it slow, the way I did it was to start playing in front of a mirror looking at the fingers, and then eventually looking into my own eyes. It's all about getting the feel for the fretboard, being able to slide to any fret blindfolded, although sometimes it's okay to look where you are going lol

It's not too hard, but it's not a habit that you'll break overnight.
Quote by ravioli123
James, a type of sandwich:

A sandwich that consists of ham, turkey, roast beef, shredded cheese, nacho cheese doritos, and ranch on a toasted bun.
"Hey man lets go get a couple James's for lunch"
Memorise the parts so you can play them without looking.

then stop making threads in the pit that nobody cares about.
Quote by Fassa Albrecht
It's virtually impossible for me to memorise parts- I have to be able to play 400+ songs.

Don't you have a guitar with fret dots on the top as well?
That could help you.
Quote by Fassa Albrecht
It's virtually impossible for me to memorise parts- I have to be able to play 400+ songs.

So how do you play them? Sheet music?

I have memorised a whoooooooolllleeee bunch of songs. Ofcourse it knocks out other usefull information....like how to speak/type/fap etc.
Hold your guitar high up, so the fretboard is just in front of your face. Then you'll be looking at the crowd and your hands at the same time
FALKIRK

We'll win something someday

Quote by Minkaro
Falkirk is the home of runners up.

Check out my Tunes
Quote by Fassa Albrecht

Oh yeah, you read sheet. Just make notes on the notation about fret position so that most of the notes are close together or something.
Quote by ravioli123
James, a type of sandwich:

A sandwich that consists of ham, turkey, roast beef, shredded cheese, nacho cheese doritos, and ranch on a toasted bun.
"Hey man lets go get a couple James's for lunch"
Get someone to watch you play and everytime you look down have them hit till you realize every time you look down you will remember the pain instead so you will lessen till it stops.
Quote by Chubbychunks
How is it possible to have more than 400 bass lines?

Praise and worship music anyone?

No seriously, I have to sight-read most of the tunes I play.
Whenever you practice for yourself, without the whole sight-reading thing, practice with your eyes closed and just listen to the sounds you are making. Try to anticipate the note you are going to play in your head and search for it with your fingers.
Quote by Fassa Albrecht
Errrrr....I'm a girl.

You are

And to think... I've hated you for so long

How you doing?