has anybody got any good tips or ways to strengthen there grip for barre chords seems to kill my hand holding the strings down in such awkward positions been playing quite a while so this is something i should be able to do already
NO ONES GONNA TAKE ME ALIVE
THE TIME HAS COME TO MAKE THINGS RIGHT
i used to wonder the same thing because i always loved the way barre chords sound oppose to power chords. but the answer is probably the most boring and obvious. practice.
MINI enthusiast

@stevenpollock

My band: avenueofembers.com
Quote by neverspoiled
thank you stevenpollock..
the only Pit-head thats not a douche bag...right now anyway
=)
Practice,practice,practice.
And also,check if your thumb is on the lower half of the neck.If it isn't,make it so.
And remember,practice makes good,and I make perfect.
Hold the bar down for 30secs full and keep strumming so you know your pressing all the notes, 30secs might seem like a long time but pull through. then shake off your hand if it aches and repeat. Do this everyday and youll soon be able to press down no probs.
Quote by boreamor
Ah very good point. Charlie__flynn, you've out smarted me

People
should
smile
more

crit4crit on 'acoustic 1 (with piano)' here

Rate my playing skills please.
Fingerpicking.

Hold down an A major barre chord and fingerpick the hell out of it. Create little melodies out of the chord by lifting fingers or bringing them down on different notes. If your hand is not strong enough some or many of the notes will be muted. Keep practicing and forcing your hand down untill the notes are no longer muted.
thanks for the quick replies gonna try all of these ideas out see what works best hopefully barre chords should improve a lot can hold em kinda its just holding them down so all the notes ring out is hard to get the hang of
NO ONES GONNA TAKE ME ALIVE
THE TIME HAS COME TO MAKE THINGS RIGHT
Practice on an acoustic. When you play on an electric after learning to barre on an acoustic it's like cutting butter.

I have also kept a "stress ball" at work and squeeze it between my index finger and thumb like a barre chord to help strengthen the muscles outside of practicing hours.
2002 Muddy Waters Fender Telecaser (MIM) (w/ Bill Lawrence pickups & black matte pickguard)
2006 Ibanez sz520qm (w/ Grover tuners)
Epiphone DR-100

Traynor YCV50-Blue
Toneport GX / Ampltube 2
Just keep doing them, maybe on a nylon-string acoustic to make it a little harder.
Gear:
Ibanez GAX-30
Hagstrom HL-550
Fender Hot Rod Deluxe
Ibanez TS9