Before I start I want to make it perfectly clear that the following opinion is that of my eldest son and NOT me. However, as I am starting to have a rather circular argument with him about it, I thought I'd find some additional evidence.

My son maintains that Gus G. from the band Firewind is the best guitarist currently alive in the world and may be the best guitarist ever! The best guitarist ever seems ridiculous to me so let's focus on the issue of Gus G. being the best guitarist in the world today. Please state how you would rate him in relation to that title and give a couple of suggestions of guitarists who may be better and why (assuming you don't think he's the best).

I'll get things started:

I think he's a very good guitarist indeed with plenty natural ability but I certainly wouldn't say he's the best or even anywhere close. In terms of engaging with my emotions I'd say that Dave Gilmour, Gary Moore, BB King etc. are all better. In terms of technical ability, I'd say that Paul Gilbert, Steve Vai, John Pettrucci, Satriani etc. are all better. Compared to these players I'd say his playing has merit but it ultimately fails to engage my heart and soul while also being a bit repetitive at times and lacking real inspiration to take the music in a new and surprising direction. The term 'best' is, of course, purely subjective, which is why the guitarist I consider to be the 'best' is always changing but as I write this, of the ones I've listed, I'd take Gary Moore. I reserve the right to change my mind tomorrow
Gibson Les Paul Studio with Catswhiskers pickups
PRS SE 'Floyd' Custom 24 with Creamery pickups
Fender Standard Stratocaster with DiMarzio pickups
Takamine GN30
BluGuitar AMP1
Jonny Greenwood of Radiohead everytime. Talented, not just at the guitar, and very inventive and original. I don't know who Gus G. is so I'll just say Greenwood and lave it at that. I can't imagine Gus G. being better.

By the way, you're probably gonna get shouted at cos there are quite a few similar topics. Get ready for that.
I'm so adjective, I verb nouns.
Quote by Doadman
In terms of engaging with my emotions I'd say that Dave Gilmour, Gary Moore, BB King etc. are all better. In terms of technical ability, I'd say that Paul Gilbert, Steve Vai, John Pettrucci, Satriani etc. are all better.

+1

I'm a fan of Mikael Akerfeldt and, former guitarist Peter Lindgren, of Opeth. The have great technical ability in all styles of guitar, and a lot of solos and riffs bring the song to a higher musical level than if they had played mere power chords.

EDIT:
Quote by DimebagRob
If your son wants to think that Gus G. is the best guitarist in the world, he's allowed to. You shouldn't have to "correct" him.

This.
"There is more stupidity than hydrogen in the universe, and it has a longer shelf life."
-Frank Zappa

"Where words fail, music speaks."
-Hans Christian Andersen
Last edited by BlindSilence917 at Jan 20, 2009,
Gus G. is the lead guitarist / 'guitar prodigy' from Greece.

I think he's good, but not that good.
If I had to take a metal guitarist that's better I'd take Christopher Amott, the (IMO) most underrated one of the Amott brothers.

if I had to take a guitarist in general.....

errrr....

I'd go for Gilbert of Satriani (dives for cover)

seconds would be Zappa (plainly cuz I didn't hear much of his stuff), Vai (duh?) and The Happy Geetarr duo from the 'old' Opeth AKA Mikael and Peter (I don't really like em that much, but I do admit they got an unbelievable amount of skill)
Quote by Demonikk
'Practice amp' = amp you practice with? In my case, Peavey 6505+ and 4x12
I don't do things small

Except children.
Last edited by Slicer666 at Jan 19, 2009,
at the end of the day, the 'best' guitarist would be one of technical ability. however when musicianship comes in thats something else.
if your rating they're songs or compositions you are rating them as composers and thus anyone can join that group, violinists to pianists.
So the idea of someone being the best is subjective, are those players who write great songs good composers? yes. are they as good guitarists as say all those technical players? probably not. but equally a lot of 'Great' players can't write a song to save their lives.
If your son wants to think that Gus G. is the best guitarist in the world, he's allowed to. You shouldn't have to "correct" him.
its all opinions

i think david gilmour is the best
Gear:
Fender MIA Strat w/EMG SA's
Fender Super 60
Boss RT-20 Rotary Sim
Ibanez AD-9 Analog Delay
EHX Big Muff

"Doctor Kindly Tell Your Wife
That I'm Alive, Flowers Thrive
Realise, Realise, Realise"
Quote by AmbrosiusSG
If its not about Ozzy, put that S*** somewhere else and get your a** out of here. If its about Ozzy feel free to post it, i dont give a d***
Ozzy kicks a**
I could never pick just one favorite, but two of my top choices are Jake Cinninger and Brendan Bayliss from Umphrey's McGee. What I most enjoy about them are that they both balance soulful, emotional playing with technical ability. They also are able to branch out into many different styles of playing and the band's styles range from electronic to dark prog to reggae to jazz. A couple video examples...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nzK6NXKJ3l8&feature=channel_page
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IPnRtrVqzwU&feature=channel_page
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6fg8vs6jDug&feature=channel
There doesn't have to be a "BEST", that is the great thing about music. Just enjoy what you like.

I'm going to see Buddy Guy and BB King in concert in a month and it would be a good discussion over who is a better player, but they are both great. I love both of their styles and music, and I'm looking forward to seeing both of them play.
Best is without a doubt Jeff Beck, second, I'd have to say Gilmour.
Last.fm

Fender Deluxe Players Strat > Big Muff > LPB-1 > Moog Ring Mod > MXR Dynacomp > MXR Phase 90 '74 > Fender Hot Rod 410 (soon)
The others are right, this is about opinion. If your son thinks this, then let him.

I mean, I would tell him differently, of course. But I wouldn't try to convince him.

Although, I have no idea who this "Gus G." is...
The best shredder alive is probably MAB.
The best guitarist in general (I don't know how else to explain it) is Slash.
But those are just my opinions.
Personally i'd have to say the "best" rock oriented guitarist would have to be steve vai, he's definitely not my favorite, but he's too damn well rounded and everything he does is flawless. Though can't speak for other genres (jazz, funk, etc)
Quote by aworldofviolets
Personally i'd have to say the "best" rock oriented guitarist would have to be steve vai, he's definitely not my favorite, but he's too damn well rounded and everything he does is flawless. Though can't speak for other genres (jazz, funk, etc)

for jazz I would definitely pick wes montgomery, while I am very ignorant on funk, it would be either Prince or John Frusciante.
Quote by Aznargo
The others are right, this is about opinion. If your son thinks this, then let him.

I mean, I would tell him differently, of course. But I wouldn't try to convince him.

Although, I have no idea who this "Gus G." is...
The best shredder alive is probably MAB.
The best guitarist in general (I don't know how else to explain it) is Slash.
But those are just my opinions.

typical.
Quote by Meths
I respect and value your opinion.

Just kidding. You're a fucking retard.

Quote by Pr0gNut
You want to strap a bunch of used mattresses to the walls?

Why not just roll around naked in medical waste while you're at it?

Quote by the_perdestrian
medical waste isn't free on craigslist
Quote by radomu
for jazz I would definitely pick wes montgomery, while I am very ignorant on funk, it would be either Prince or John Frusciante.

You're right, you are ignorant of funk.
Last.fm

Fender Deluxe Players Strat > Big Muff > LPB-1 > Moog Ring Mod > MXR Dynacomp > MXR Phase 90 '74 > Fender Hot Rod 410 (soon)
There's no way I could pick just one, so I've got a 13-way tie. My apologies to anyone I left off...

Steve Morse
Steve Vai
John Petrucci
Joe Satriani
Eric Johnson
Jeff Beck
Scott Henderson
Larry Carlton
Al DiMeola
Steve Lukather
John McLaughlin
David Gilmour
and Eddie Van Halen - simply because of his influence and innovation
There's my way and the wrong way.
This is my top 10 greatest guitarists, not my favorite but greatest.

1. Jimmy Page
2. Jimi Hendrix
3. Eric Clapton
4. Robert Johnson
5. BB King
6. Albert King
7. Stevie Ray Vaughan
8. Derek Trucks
9. John Frusciante
10. Kurt Cobain
Quote by brandewyork
hmmm it seems the 2 people above me are missing paul gilbert, im sure you just forgot -.-

Nope, I didn't forget, I just don't think he's in the same class as the guys that I mentioned. No disrespect to Paul, I think he's great. Better than 99% of the guys out there. But you've got to be something unworldly to be in that elite 1%.
There's my way and the wrong way.
i would say that Paul Gilbert is probably the most technically proficient guitarist i have heard - or at least listened to.
I also agree with the first poster, regarding Jonny Greenwood's invention, and would like to add another Johnny - Johnny Marr - into the equation...
Member of UG's Tubgirl Virgins Club

Last.fm
I agree... Johnny Marr is also quite good.
But to me one of the best is Synyster Gates.
Quote by Joshness
I agree... Johnny Marr is also quite good.
But to me one of the best is Synyster Gates.

Synyster is probably one of the best heavy metal guitarits of our generation but his solos are very very lacking.

As opposed, Johnny Marr is pretty good, he IS the best British Alternative guitarist
Quote by radomu
Synyster is probably one of the best heavy metal guitarits of our generation but his solos are very very lacking.

He's relatively young and has time for major improvement, though. The Afterlife solo shows shows Syn having a very promising future.

My favorites would be Claudio Sanchez, Ray Toro, Syn and Mark Morton from Lamb of God...I think the best guitarist in my opinion would be either Alexi Laiho or Dave Mustaine.

BUT, there really is no BEST, only which you think is best. So I know people will disagree.
"Music is an expression. Not competition." ~ Woe, Is Me

Guitar
ESP LTD Viper 400

Amp
Orange Crush 35LDX
Quote by Joshness
Howcome you say his solos are lacking?

It's a typical heavy metal solo, yes, and it sounds technically skilled but I don't feel anything when I listened to it.
it also had many notes that didn't need to be really played.
Buckethead.
He is the most versatile guitarist I've seen. He's done metal, normal rock, acoustic, chill rock (Quiet), ambience, bluegrass, etc. I could go on. He's also incredibly talented, and is one of the best tapping guitarists I've seen. 8 finger tapping for the win.
it's all just coming back
it's all coming back

it's all coming back to me
its just jimi hendrix. He played the guitar with his teeth during a time when this had been unheard of before. No competition.
Quote by radomu

A7X=/=metal
best modern musician is probably Satriani.

guitarist? i have no clue.

/unhelpful
⚑⚑⚑⚑⚑
Steve Vai all the way
He is the best guitarist I have ever heard And he works so hard