Hello all,

I am planning on buying a new guitar in the next few weeks to a month.

My biggest influence on my sound, by far, is Jimi Hendrix with a little Clapton and Gilmour thrown in.

Therefore, I am looking for a new Strat and my budget is between $600 and $700.

I am looking for a strat that has pickups that are on the hotter side, maybe around the 9.1 Ohms kind of range, preferably stacked pickups and I was hoping for one of those thinner necks, like the old school 7.3 in diameter instead of the newer 9.2 diameter ones.

I have been looking at the Mexican made Fender Deluxe Player's Stratocaster. Anybody have any experience with these guitars? Good, bad?

Any other recommendations of guitars I should look at or consider? I am also willing to replace the pickups if necesary so any pickup recommendation would also be nice.
The Fender Deluxes seem like great guitars. I'd look more into that.
Well if Hendrix is your primary influence sound-wise you'd probably want a strat like his. For your budget I found Fender Classic Series '60s Strat. I think that would get you close. Although tone usually comes from the amp. But I won't suggest new amp seeing as how Hendrix used those monster Marshall stacks and that is way out of your budget.

It is here
Gear:1991 Fender MIJ Jazz/Squier VM Fretless Jazz -> Pitchblack -> Way Huge Green Rhino -> Boss OC-2 -> Boss DD-7 -> Markbass Tube 800 -> SWR 4x12.

Flat wounds. Flat wounds on everything. Everything is a little fatter when it's flatter.
For a new Strat in your price range you'd be talking MIM I'd think!
Moving on.....
Maybe if he was going to switch out the Pups. But if he was going to spend it completely on the guitar, no pups or amps or effects, then he would have $700. But then again there is tax or shipping and handling and such.
Gear:1991 Fender MIJ Jazz/Squier VM Fretless Jazz -> Pitchblack -> Way Huge Green Rhino -> Boss OC-2 -> Boss DD-7 -> Markbass Tube 800 -> SWR 4x12.

Flat wounds. Flat wounds on everything. Everything is a little fatter when it's flatter.
Well, I'm thinking about spending the whole budget on the new guitar and, if need be, will be able to buy the new pups about a month or two later, so both are an option.

And also, don't get me wrong, I don't want to sound exactly like Hendrix, but I definitely want to be able to get that Band of Gypsys tone. I will go for a Wah pedal and some sort of distortion as well.

Oh, and also, do you guys know if you can get that 7.25 radius neck made of Maple instead of rosewood?

In terms of an amp, I'm thinking about going for the Fender Hot Rod deluxe. I love the different tones I can get out of it as well as the sustain.
Last edited by Seryaph at Jan 19, 2009,
Good wah is a dunlop original crybaby. But if I were you I would rather get a Vox 847A Wah. Those sound sweet. And I looked at your profile, if you have a standard American strat I would just say buy the Hot Rod Deluxe.

I do not know if you can get the 7.25 as maple, I think you might be able to, but don't take my word for it.

But yeah, I would keep the Fat Strat and buy that Hot Rod. Then later buy a new strat. As for distortion, get some nice overdrive pedal I would think.

http://www.samash.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_Les%20Paul%20Ultra%20II%20Electric%20Guitar%20Faded%20Cherry%20Burst_-1_10052_10002_437092

More expensive, but it's basically an electroacoustic/Electric guitar at once. =P Something to look at!
Quote by Eddie4President
Either you remind her of a girl, or she's not a lesbian.

Quote by blake1221
Jabba's real name is Katie.
Get a MIM Strat and some CS69 pups thrown in. Like everyone said, you should be looking for an amp since its the main source on your sound.

The thing that set Hendrix's sound apart was that his bridge pick-up was reversed since he flipped it upside down to play as a lefty. He also experimented with different string gauges on different strings or just different strings entirely.

Also, get a fuzz since they were used a lot around that time. For Wah, get a Vox.
Quote by JF-SH1
Good wah is a dunlop original crybaby. But if I were you I would rather get a Vox 847A Wah. Those sound sweet. And I looked at your profile, if you have a standard American strat I would just say buy the Hot Rod Deluxe.

I do not know if you can get the 7.25 as maple, I think you might be able to, but don't take my word for it.

But yeah, I would keep the Fat Strat and buy that Hot Rod. Then later buy a new strat. As for distortion, get some nice overdrive pedal I would think.

The Fat Strat is gone . . . *tears up*

I haven't been able to bring the picture down because it hurts too much.

*tears roll down face*

Thanks for bringing it up.

But that is why I am buying a new electric, I only have my acoustic right now.

The amp will come later, but will definitely come. And I am definitely going to go either for the Vox 847a wah or the Fulltone Clyde standard wah. Expensive but durable and fat as hell.
That's really sad man. I'm sorry. Ok well if you are set on buying a guitar I stand by my post of the Fender Classic Series '60s Strat. Then get the amp and then the Vox. That's what I would do.

Quote by Voltron420
Get a MIM Strat and some CS69 pups thrown in. Like everyone said, you should be looking for an amp since its the main source on your sound.

The thing that set Hendrix's sound apart was that his bridge pick-up was reversed since he flipped it upside down to play as a lefty. He also experimented with different string gauges on different strings or just different strings entirely.

Also, get a fuzz since they were used a lot around that time. For Wah, get a Vox.

Well, that was one of the other things I was thinking about doing, was getting a lefty guitar and flipping it around to play right-handed so I can get that reversed pick-up sound, but it seems kind of outrageous. And I know what amp I want I just don't have an electric guitar right now. And I have heard all of those rumors of how he experimented with different gauges. I heard he did things like replace his b-string with a little e-string to get a lighter string.
You don't need to flip the guitar to get that. There are actually ways to do it. Make your own pickguard and if the single coil placement isn't big enough to reverse it, then make it. Basically, when you buy it, customize it or get someone to do it then the pickguard will keep the single coil like that. Doing the flipping guitar is, and was only cool when Hendrix did it.

Yeah, he replaced his b-string with an E string and vice versa, he also used a Hawaiin String as his B string sometimes. He didn't really do it for sound, he thought that it would keep his guitar in tune better while it also changed his sound.

So I mean, just go for a good MIM strat, and put some new pickups in there. The uh, DiMarzio Area 58 and 61 single coils are good from what I hear, but they're noiseless so they don't have the hum. There are also CS69s, which are pretty awesome sounding too if you're trying to spice up the sound for that time period. Fuzz pedal, Hendrix used one of the original Dallas Arbiter ones until Roger Mayer came and started making his effects. He also used a Vox wah pedal, so you could also find a way to maybe get a customization for it (Wah thread? :P).

I'm a Hendrix junkie, like you he's one of my main influences in music, mainly because of his amazing rhythm playing and style. So I guess if you need to know anything about him and his gear, I can most likely tell you or find out for you lol.
I noticed you mention your looking for a 7.5 inch radius. I hope you are aware that it's good for chords but tough for bending wiht normal or low action. Due to the curvature of the fingerboard strings bends will "fret out" unless the action is above average height. This is one reason Fender now offer greater radius necks!
Moving on.....
Schecter...They do it all...I play Sweet Home Alabama on my C-1 ^^
Quote by jrcsgtpeppers

If women can be annoyed there arent any women incongress I should be allowed to be pissed off there are no members of pink floyd or the beatles in congress.
Never played one before, but the Deluxe Player Strats sure do LOOK awesome

Sunburst with gold hardware, rosewood board, and tortoise pickguard......yum
Quote by necrosis1193
As usual Natrone's mouth spouts general win.

Quote by Silverstein14
man, Natrone you're some kind of ninja I swear

Quote by gregs1020
plexi

i realize the longshot that is. little giant to humongous one.

Rest In Peace Stevie Ray
Quote by Voltron420
You don't need to flip the guitar to get that. There are actually ways to do it. Make your own pickguard and if the single coil placement isn't big enough to reverse it, then make it. Basically, when you buy it, customize it or get someone to do it then the pickguard will keep the single coil like that. Doing the flipping guitar is, and was only cool when Hendrix did it.

Yeah, he replaced his b-string with an E string and vice versa, he also used a Hawaiin String as his B string sometimes. He didn't really do it for sound, he thought that it would keep his guitar in tune better while it also changed his sound.

So I mean, just go for a good MIM strat, and put some new pickups in there. The uh, DiMarzio Area 58 and 61 single coils are good from what I hear, but they're noiseless so they don't have the hum. There are also CS69s, which are pretty awesome sounding too if you're trying to spice up the sound for that time period. Fuzz pedal, Hendrix used one of the original Dallas Arbiter ones until Roger Mayer came and started making his effects. He also used a Vox wah pedal, so you could also find a way to maybe get a customization for it (Wah thread? :P).

I'm a Hendrix junkie, like you he's one of my main influences in music, mainly because of his amazing rhythm playing and style. So I guess if you need to know anything about him and his gear, I can most likely tell you or find out for you lol.

So I can just flip the pickups around in their saddles, right? Won't even have to rewire anything unless I replace them with some new pups. I'm thinking that I might go for some noiseless ones, as I am not trying to replicate his exact tone and I won't be playing through 2 to 4 Marshall fullstacks any time soon. I do want to be able to manipulate the feedback the way Hendrix did, but for that I think I need an extremely loud set of amps more than anything else.

I'm glad to find another Hendrix junkie, it is way too often that I read people in hear saying that he is overrated.

Quote by KenG
I noticed you mention your looking for a 7.5 inch radius. I hope you are aware that it's good for chords but tough for bending wiht normal or low action. Due to the curvature of the fingerboard strings bends will "fret out" unless the action is above average height. This is one reason Fender now offer greater radius necks!

That is very interesting, and no, I did not know that. Then how did the older guitar plays make those wild 2 full-step bends without the notes fretting out? Or the desperate wails they sometimes made their guitars cry out with? Because I know that a lot of those guys kept their action relatively low.

Quote by Natrone
Never played one before, but the Deluxe Player Strats sure do LOOK awesome

Sunburst with gold hardware, rosewood board, and tortoise pickguard......yum

That does sound really tasty except I'm going to have to go with the maple neck. Once you've slapped your hands on one of those its hard to go back.

EDIT:

Oh, and has anyone had any experience with the Japanese made Strats? Any recommendations or words to be spoken against, as opposed to the MIM?
Meh, I've played on maple and rosewood necks. I just like rosewood better for some reason.
Quote by necrosis1193
As usual Natrone's mouth spouts general win.

Quote by Silverstein14
man, Natrone you're some kind of ninja I swear

Quote by gregs1020
plexi

i realize the longshot that is. little giant to humongous one.

Rest In Peace Stevie Ray
Quote by Seryaph
So I can just flip the pickups around in their saddles, right? Won't even have to rewire anything unless I replace them with some new pups. I'm thinking that I might go for some noiseless ones, as I am not trying to replicate his exact tone and I won't be playing through 2 to 4 Marshall fullstacks any time soon. I do want to be able to manipulate the feedback the way Hendrix did, but for that I think I need an extremely loud set of amps more than anything else.

I'm glad to find another Hendrix junkie, it is way too often that I read people in hear saying that he is overrated.

As far as I know, you wire them the same way. I've never attempted it, but the only reason why I see pickguards do what they do, is to hold the pickups in place. So I assume if you have say... a Strat body with the bridge for a HSS configuration, you can just reverse a single coil into a custom made pickguard built for it.

Single coil guitars get a lot of feedback with distortion. Hell, my line 6 (Yeah, getting a Vox VT soon lol) on the insane channel feedbacks my strat like crazy, so its fun to mess around with.

I will agree, maple necks are awesome and are hard to get away from once you use one. I only like maple necks on fender guitars though. If I ever decide to get a better ibanez than my current one, I'd most likely get it on rosewood. Rosewood is supposed to be smoother... or something. It feels smoother atleast than my maple.

The noiseless pickups are supposed to cancel hum. I'm not sure if they'd still feedback, so you might want to check that out if you're going to experiment with feedback. I still say get CS69s for a strat, save the noiseless if you ever get a HSH configuration guitar.

Down where I live, not many people have heard of Hendrix unless I speak of him. Everyone down here is obsessed with Slash and Clapton. So I guess I just don't see him as overrated, I see him as very underrated.