I was meandering around my uncle's basement and stumbled across a guitar case, and (lucky me) opened it and discovered a '63 Fender Jazzmaster in a rather shambled condition.

It has no bridge, the pickguard is hopelessly warped, and the pickup covers are just horrendous.

Upon further inquiry i discovered my uncle and my father had actually taken it apart once before and repainted it to the surf green\baby blue esque color I found it in.

Needless to say, i was a tad disappointed to find what would be a ~$4500 guitar in such embarrassing shape, but I was given the opportunity to refinish it.

I plan on professionally repainting the body with Black High Gloss Auto Lacquer, and refitting it with the '62 reissue White Pickup Covers, Chrome Bridge & Cover, and a 4ply Tortoise Pattern Pickguard that you can purchase, but keep the original Neck and pickups.

I am wondering about the wiring however, I've looked at several diagrams from both Seymour Duncan and Fender, but neither shows this strange red wire that actually goes soldered from the Brass control shield to the Tremolo Assembly. When I rewire the guitar should i just follow the diagrams from Seymour Duncan and ignore this or try and put it back the way it was? I'd hate to mess up the original wiring and ruin the Surf-Rock tone the Jazz is famous for, but i have no reason to believe the Seymour Duncan's diagrams are incorrect and will alter the sound, any helpful advice is appreciated.

EDIT: Requested Pics - Sorry already sanded and sent the Solid-Body off for painting pictures when it returns!

Neck and Fretboard
Date Stamp
Head
Fretboard
Tremolo Assembly
Closer view of Trem Assem.
Pickup Covers
Wiring Mess and Innards
Wiring Mess and Pickguard
Desired Finished Product
Last edited by jjaldridge2009 at Jan 19, 2009,
I'm not 100% sure, but I think that that is the grounding wire. You'd be best just to reattach it to the tremolo block when you buy the new one. Cograts on the find though!
'89 MIJ Fender Strat
Rivera S-120
'60s PEPCO Model 211 5w head
'60s Paul (Pepco) 1x12 tube amp
'60s Harmony H303a 1x10 tube amp
lucky, i wish i could find a guitar in my basement or attic!
Guitars:
'13 MIM Fender Strat - '05 Epi G-400
Amps:
Fender HRD - VHT Special 6 Ultra -
Jet City JCA20H - Mesa Rectifier 2x12
Pedulz:
Slash Wah - OCD v1.7 - Red Llama MKII -
Big Muff Pi - Carbon Copy - Phase 90 - Ditto Looper
Is it just in the event of some freak electrical short? Because its actually wired through the solid body, there is like a hole to feed the wire through, even tho its not connected to anything electrical.
Quote by jjaldridge2009
I was meandering around my uncle's basement and stumbled across a guitar case, and (lucky me) opened it and discovered a '63 Fender Jazzmaster in a rather shambled condition.

It has no bridge, the pickguard is hopelessly warped, and the pickup covers are just horrendous.

Upon further inquiry i discovered my uncle and my father had actually taken it apart once before and repainted it to the surf green\baby blue esque color I found it in.

Needless to say, i was a tad disappointed to find what would be a ~$4500 guitar in such embarrassing shape, but I was given the opportunity to refinish it.

I plan on professionally repainting the body with Black High Gloss Auto Lacquer, and refitting it with the '62 reissue White Pickup Covers, Chrome Bridge & Cover, and a 4ply Tortoise Pattern Pickguard that you can purchase, but keep the original Neck and pickups.

Post pics!

Don't refret unless there's no fret life left and you know exactly how to do it.

Store the PG and PU covers.

Do research before doing something you can't put back.

Quote by Ippon
Post pics!

Don't refret unless there's no fret life left and you know exactly how to do it.

Store the PG and PU covers.

Do research before doing something you can't put back.

I'm sorry, i may have used the wrong words.. I'm keeping the original Neck and Fretboard, no alterations there, and I have kept the original Pickup and Pickguard covers, although the pickguard is hopelessly warped and it needs to be replaced.

Edit: Posted requested pics.. didn't expect iPhone camera to be that high of resolution
Last edited by jjaldridge2009 at Jan 19, 2009,