I thought there was a wiring thread but I can't find it using the search so here's what I need help with. I just opened up the switches for my tiger build's wiring the 2 I have a problem with are going to be used to turn 1 pickup on and off. The switches I got for that are dpdt on-on switches is there any way to use these? I'm thinking I'll need to buy others, if so what do I need. I suck at wiring lol.
no, you can use them
this diagram is kind of an example:
http://www.seymourduncan.com/support/wiring-diagrams/schematics.php?schematic=3s_1v_1t_3on-offswitches

a dpdt is pretty much 2 spdt's stuck beside eachother. so just ignore one side of the switch.
then the pickups output (or pickups volume) goes to the middle lug, one of the outer lugs goes to the output/master volume/whatever, and the other outer lug goes to ground

it'll work just fine, but its kind of a waste of the other half of the switch
I think in the stickies they have links to wiring diagrams. Maybe it will help? I don't know anything about builds or wiring or anything because I haven't done it yet.
Save a trip to the RT!
Quote by blake1221
If there's anything to take away from this thread, anything at all, it's to always cup the balls.

Top trolling abilities.

Quote by caeser1156
God dammit you had me 10/10
an on/off switch is different only that the OFF side is ground.

so make one side of your on/off switches ground. the signal will travel to the top of a pot, instead of anywhere important. just think of wiring as a signal flow and it should all be pretty easy to figure out.
Quote by james4
no, you can use them
this diagram is kind of an example:
http://www.seymourduncan.com/support/wiring-diagrams/schematics.php?schematic=3s_1v_1t_3on-offswitches

a dpdt is pretty much 2 spdt's stuck beside eachother. so just ignore one side of the switch.
then the pickups output (or pickups volume) goes to the middle lug, one of the outer lugs goes to the output/master volume/whatever, and the other outer lug goes to ground

it'll work just fine, but its kind of a waste of the other half of the switch

Thanks, just what I needed. I usually coil tap the pickups and use on-off-on switches but 2 of the pickups can't be coil tapped an I realized that when I got to radio shack so I just got 2 way dpdts hoping I could use them.
nope, cause that side isnt being used

sorry, we're kinda saying 'side' without giving any indication if 'side' means the side with 2 lugs, or the side with 3 lugs.

[a] [x]
[x]
[c] [x]

if thats the bottom of the switch, then the [x] lugs are the ones you ignore

is the output from the pickup (or from the pickups volume)
[a] is to the output or master volume
and [c] is grounded

you could also have [a] as ground, if [c] is to the output, but it doesnt really matter, same thing, basically.
nope, cause that side isnt being used

sorry, we're kinda saying 'side' without giving any indication if 'side' means the side with 2 lugs, or the side with 3 lugs.

[a] [x]
[x]
[c] [x]

if thats the bottom of the switch, then the [x] lugs are the ones you ignore

is the output from the pickup (or from the pickups volume)
[a] is to the output or master volume
and [c] is grounded

you could also have [a] as ground, if [c] is to the output, but it doesnt really matter, same thing, basically.
Ok, thanks I shouldn't have anymore trouble I was just not sure since there was talk of grounding the unused side.
Ok, I'm not sure what the problem is I have it wired up as said with a as the output for everything and the input too on the last one and I'm not getting any sound at all. The middle switch is wired up as I always do.
I've got the output of the last switch hooked up to the jack and I skipped the middle switch so it's got to be one of the switches that are used to turn the pickups on and off.
Last edited by 420 FREAK at Jan 21, 2009,
Quote by Invader Jim
The thread is in my sig.

Got a pic of the wiring job?

Ok I'll remember that thanks.
No I don't, I don't think I want to take one it's really bad. It doesn't help that the cavity is just big enough to fit the pots, switches, and output.