Hello all,

Just wanted to see if anyone else plays Smells Like Teen Spirit with Bar Chords?
Taking lessons at the mo and my teacher seems to think its played with bar chords not power chords. All the tabs i can find seem to say power chords?

Whats your views??
your teacher needs lessons

Epi Les Paul Std w/Duncans
ESP LTD EX260
Cry Baby From Hell
Marshall JH-1
EHX Metal Muff
MXR EVH Phase 90
Carl Martin Classic Chorus
EHX #1 Echo
Ibanez LU-20
Dunlop DCB-10
Crate V50112
Tascam US144

PEDALBOARD JUNKIES
the difference between bar chords and power chords is very small.. pick which one sounds best.

if your teacher is teaching you it with barre chords, use barre chords so you can learn them
My Guitars:
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Epiphone AJ
Ibanez Strat Copy

Amps:
Orange Tiny Terror Head
Old beaten up Peavey cab
Marshall MG30DFX
Power chords. You can play barres if you want, but the power chord version is the commonly accepted version.

Ibanez SR506BM
Ashdown Little Giant 1000w
Peavey TVX 115+410
A big ass upright

I believe the way it's played on the recordings is barre chords for the cleaner tones and powerchords for when he kicks in the overdrive.
Yes, I know everything. No, I can't play worth a damn.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.
You can do it either way - the last three strings are held position with the first and second fingers - it's the only difference between a barre and a power chord. Listen to your teacher - he's a teacher for a reason. Cobain played it power chord, but if he's telling you to barre it, it's for a reason. Learn it and move on.
Do you feel warm within your cage?

And have you figured out yet -

Life goes by?
Quote by Hydra150
There's a dick on Earth, too
It's you
Quote by Pac_man0123
It works either way. The only thing you're doing with a barred chord is giving it a fuller sound. It's the same chord.

au contrare,

a typical barre chord differs from the pwer chord by adding the 3rd, or flattened 3rd to make it major or minor respectively.

maybe your teacher (to TS) is only using this is an exercise to be able to practice switching/moving barre chords quicker.
Quote by Pac_man0123
It works either way. The only thing you're doing with a barred chord is giving it a fuller sound. It's the same chord.

no it isn't.

When you play a full barre chord you get the additional 3rd which completely changes the feel of the song whether it's major or minor 3rds you play.
I like analogue Solid State amps that make no effort to be "tube-like", and I'm proud of it...

...A little too proud, to be honest.
Nirvana using barres?
lul
G&L Tribute S-500 -> Ernie Ball VP -> Boss SD-1 -> Fulltone OCD -> Small Stone Phaser -> Danelectro Cool Cat Tremolo -> Boss DD-3 -> Boss RE-20 -> TC Electronic Hall of Reverb -> Boss RC-2 -------> Modded Crate v18 Amp

www.wearewerebear.com
I strongly recommend following your teacher's advice. It's probably to give you practice in using barre chords and strenghtening up your fingers.
my MG15DFX has a button that simulates the sound of one of the expensive tube marshall amps

Fender Stratocaster HSS
LTD EC-400AT
Traynor YCV-50 Blue
Peavey Envoy 110

Wishlist: Hamer USA Explorer, Gibson Explorer
If you listen to the song you can hear it's not straight powerchords - you can hear the thirds in the intro and when the distortion kicks in a lot of the time you can actually hear a sus4 creeping in, the songs not precise by any means and arguably if you just play the song with root 5th powerchords you're doing it a disservice.

It's not full barre chords either mind, but it's somewhere in between and the strings you strum aren't constant....either way it'll make a good barre chord exercise.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
i play it with 3 finger power chords, the other guitarist in my band play it with power chords. my friend uses powerchords, we all use powerchords lol

Epiphone Hummingbird
Epiphone Futura Custom Prophecy (Twin EMG)
Vox Valvetronix VT20+
Vox Wah
Boss MD-2
Danelectro Cool Cat Drive
Boss EQ

Quote by steven seagull
If you listen to the song you can hear it's not straight powerchords - you can hear the thirds in the intro and when the distortion kicks in a lot of the time you can actually hear a sus4 creeping in, the songs not precise by any means and arguably if you just play the song with root 5th powerchords you're doing it a disservice.

It's not full barre chords either mind, but it's somewhere in between and the strings you strum aren't constant....either way it'll make a good barre chord exercise.

i think that's more to do with the sloppy technique than anything, as pretty much all of nirvana's songs have occasional sus4 chords when the root is played on the E string, and major 3rd when the root is played on the A string, otherwise they sound like they are meant to be pure 5ths.
I like analogue Solid State amps that make no effort to be "tube-like", and I'm proud of it...

...A little too proud, to be honest.
Nirvana knows what barre chords are? Holy ****!
In all seriousness, if you are playing with overdrive or distortion on, just play with power chords. Barre with clean is entirely up to you.
[quote="'[VictorinoX"]']
There are people in this world who don't feel it necessary to vomit sunshine 24 hours a day. I'm one of them.

Current Gear
Yamaha EG 112
Esteban American Legacy
Jay Turser JTB-400M
Fender Frontman 212R
Effects
DigitTech RP50
F, A#, G#, C#
That is all
Quote by The Spoon
I think this man wins the thread.

Quote by ZeGuitarist
We have a winner.
Quote by Pac_man0123

no.

It adds a note.
It's probably best not to play it at all...
Quote by Mister.Y
Well, The Lion Sleeps Tonight is still a bit popular... I mean, cmon...

awimbawe awimbawe awimbawe awimbawe...

"I'll See You In The Next World, and Don't Be Late"
Best method: Learn both. I learned it was power chords, but barres will improve technique.
Quote by MooshMooshMarc
I didnt have anything planned out, and I didn't know **** about improvising, so it was like "OH SHI- SOLO TIME" so I kerry-kinged it.
Learning the barre chord way will be good for you as a guitarist... but the song, the band, the genre, etc... POWER CHORDS.