Well i'm in a band searching for a bass player, and I live in a very small town and no one plays bass. Anyways i've always tried to convince my friends that play electric guitar to learn bass guitar but they aren't interested. My question is: How do you get someone interested in bass guitar and what are the benifets of learning bass?
Show them Jaco Pastorius, just show some amazing basslines. If you learn bass, then it can also help you with your guitar playing, you can stretch your hands further. You have to think about how melodies mix together, you provide the backing lines, the main basis of the band, the driving force.
Gear:1991 Fender MIJ Jazz/Squier VM Fretless Jazz -> Pitchblack -> Way Huge Green Rhino -> Boss OC-2 -> Boss DD-7 -> Markbass Tube 800 -> SWR 4x12.

Flat wounds. Flat wounds on everything. Everything is a little fatter when it's flatter.
Last edited by JF-SH1 at Jan 19, 2009,
just show him marcus miller and b like.. if u practice ALOT u may someday b like him
I pressed her thigh and death smiled

Time you enjoy wasting, was not wasted.
-John Lennon
You can't 'make' someone interested in bass.

Present them with it, play them some songs that have great bassists in them, and see if they latch on. If now, they're not interested in it, and nothing you do will change that.
Do you feel warm within your cage?

And have you figured out yet -

Life goes by?
Quote by Hydra150
There's a dick on Earth, too
It's you
Quote by rrskater007
just show him marcus miller and b like.. if u practice ALOT u may someday b like him

Or Victor Wooten. Either are great examples of amazing bassists.

A personal favorite of mine is Ryan from Mudvayne. He's actually the reason I picked a bass up.

Life goes by?
Quote by Hydra150
It's you
or...play bass yourself?
Quote by Shred Head
You have an atrocious sense of humour!

Quote by StrayCatBlues
You win 100 hilarity points.

Spend them wisely.

Quote by GrisKy
you're a funny, funny man, chimp in a tux... funny indeed.
Short of holding a gun to their head, there is little you can do to make someone "like" an instrument. What you will end up is someone who is going to put the minimal amount of effort and will take up bass for the wrong reasons--and this will show in how he or she plays within the context of the band.

Try advertising at music shops and schools--even if a less than ideal bass player responds, the chances are they will put in the effort to sound better over time and practice, and in the long run be a better option for your band.
Quote by chimpinatux
or...play bass yourself?

I second this. If he plays guitar, and doesn't want to play bass, then you should do it.
Schecter Stiletto Studio 5
Ibanez SRX2EX1
Gallien Krueger 1001rbii
Gallien Krueger Neo 410
Quote by chimpinatux
or...play bass yourself?

YEAH!, hypocrit.
Quote by anarkee
Short of holding a gun to their head, there is little you can do to make someone "like" an instrument. What you will end up is someone who is going to put the minimal amount of effort and will take up bass for the wrong reasons--and this will show in how he or she plays within the context of the band.

Try advertising at music shops and schools--even if a less than ideal bass player responds, the chances are they will put in the effort to sound better over time and practice, and in the long run be a better option for your band.

now theres an idea...

edit- im only jokin please dont do that...and bass is awesome show him geddy lee and john myung 2 very diffrent players who are awesome for diffrent reasons.
the problem with bass is its real potential is hidden you just got to find the bands that bring it out.
Last edited by bass is bestest at Jan 19, 2009,
Quote by chimpinatux
or...play bass yourself?

Boomshakalaka!

Or Primus? RHCP? Athiest? Rage?
Show him the Streetlight Manifesto version of Walking Away. That line is pretty sweet. It is pretty much Bb Major Scale, but damn I love it every time. It is fast, IMO, and he plays it all with his fingers and such. Show them alot of Streetlight Manifesto, they always have great bass lines.

Ska in general has good bass.
Gear:1991 Fender MIJ Jazz/Squier VM Fretless Jazz -> Pitchblack -> Way Huge Green Rhino -> Boss OC-2 -> Boss DD-7 -> Markbass Tube 800 -> SWR 4x12.

Flat wounds. Flat wounds on everything. Everything is a little fatter when it's flatter.
could try primus? muse might work- most of absolution
otherwise, it is upto them
DONT RISK IT, BUY A BASS AMP
Last edited by moody git at Jan 19, 2009,
Quote by grifff
Show them some pre-crow left of the murder Incubus. Dirk Lance is sick and he helped sell millions of albums

Damn right. Talk about an underrated guy.

Science was insane, and he blew Fungus Amongus out completely.

Life goes by?
Quote by Hydra150
It's you
Quote by exect4500
lie and tell him the bass player gets all of the chicks and recognition.

If you're like Mark Hoppus, you can! He was at least equal popular to Tom...
Hey, let's be friends.

Check my band Fear Elise and like our page!

http://tinyurl.com/46xyyv5

My Gear:

Ampeg 410HE
Ampeg B2RE
Boss ODB-3 Bass Overdrive Pedal
EHX Enigma Envelope Filter
Epiphone Thunderbird
Music Man Stingray 4
Quote by JF-SH1
Show him the Streetlight Manifesto version of Walking Away. That line is pretty sweet. It is pretty much Bb Major Scale, but damn I love it every time. It is fast, IMO, and he plays it all with his fingers and such. Show them alot of Streetlight Manifesto, they always have great bass lines.

Ska in general has good bass.

It's actually a mixolydian scale. Whichever one that fits with Bb Major, I forget which it is.
Telecaster - SG - Jaguar
Princeton Reverb, Extra Reverb
P-Bass - Mustang Bass
Apogee Duet 2 - Ableton Suite
dont make him.

I had people telling me what instrument they thought I should play.

I never found it until I looked myself.
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard
HUMANITY WHATS WRONG WITH YOU.

Warwick Fortress>>Acoustic AB50

http://www.myspace.com/rustingbloom
Quote by Sid McCall
It's actually a mixolydian scale. Whichever one that fits with Bb Major, I forget which it is.

You sure?

G ------------------------10-8------------------------
D ---------------5-7-8-------------------------------
A -----5-6-8---------------------------------------
E 6----------------------------------------------

That is the fast part. And I am fairly certain it is Bb major.

Last edited by JF-SH1 at Jan 20, 2009,
The tricky intro riff is mixolydian anyway. I have it written in a notebook at home, but I've had it memorized for about 3 years now so I kind of forgot the technical aspects.
Telecaster - SG - Jaguar
Princeton Reverb, Extra Reverb
P-Bass - Mustang Bass
Apogee Duet 2 - Ableton Suite
Oh yeah. I hate that intro. It is the only part I really can't get. Well good for you!