ok so i want to start build my own tube amp but im mostly clueless. i can read schematics decently. are the ones on http://www.ax48.com any good? i liked them but i think you have to buy the kits.

if a schematic rates a cap needed as 220uf but does not specifiy the voltage then does it not matter what voltage? im also having a hard time finding pilot lights.
You're building an amp from scratch having never done it before, and you thought the best place to come for tutelage was UG's forums?

I'm not sure what to tell you. It's not exactly the type of thing that you can just be told how to do online.
Do you feel warm within your cage?

And have you figured out yet -

Life goes by?
Quote by Hydra150
There's a dick on Earth, too
It's you
Where would you go to learn this stuff?
My Gear:

Fender Aerodyne Stratocaster
NOS Tweed Fender Blues Jr
Boss BD-2
Boss CE-5
Boss CS-3
Dunlop Slash Crybaby
Korg DT-10
Boss BR-600
MXR Script Phase 90
MXR DD-7 Analog Delay

GASing for:
Vox V847
ive bin trying to bulid my for about a year now
Buy a full kit with insturtions is my best advice
Quote by MOOSE_CCR99
Where would you go to learn this stuff?

Intern at a music shop - take up an apprenticeship - ask a knowledgeable friend - watch other people who know how to do it do it and learn from that.

There are a ton of ways, you just gotta be willing to invest the time in learning how to do it right.

Life goes by?
Quote by Hydra150
It's you
www.ax84.com (48=84 ) have some decent schems. You dont have to buy their kits but you would need to buy the parts from somewhere, after shipping it might just be worth getting it all from one place.

It's probably easier to buy an Epi Valve Jr and mod it to figure out how things work rather than just building an amp from scratch not knowing which components (and combination thereof) will give you the tone you're after. Then when you've learned all you can from modding existing layouts give building one up a go, just a thought

As for V ratings for caps in amps, they see a lot of V so I think 500V+ rated are recommended.
Quote by bellerophon
www.ax84.com (48=84 ) have some decent schems. You dont have to buy their kits but you would need to buy the parts from somewhere, after shipping it might just be worth getting it all from one place.

It's probably easier to buy an Epi Valve Jr and mod it to figure out how things work rather than just building an amp from scratch not knowing which components (and combination thereof) will give you the tone you're after. Then when you've learned all you can from modding existing layouts give building one up a go, just a thought

As for V ratings for caps in amps, they see a lot of V so I think 500V+ rated are recommended.

ya makes sense but im using one of the parts lists from ax84 and it tells me what to get butsome of the caps/resistors and other thing just have the uf rating with no voltage or watt ratings? i would like to say that means it doesnt matter whst the non specified value is but im not sure
Theres a parts list for all he AX84 amps. It will say if it has to be a high voltage cap if it doesnt say then usually can go with the smaller cheaper lower voltage ones. But building from scratch without any experience is asking for an amp with alot of bugs in it.
I have built the P1x from AX84. It is a good sounding amp. After sourcing all the parts from all over the internet, I wish I would have just ordered from doberman (AX84's kit supplier). It is not a complicated build, and the literature on their site will help with most of the question you have. Also try AX84's forums. You can just browse through it and learn a lot about amp building.
Quote by strat0blaster
You're building an amp from scratch having never done it before, and you thought the best place to come for tutelage was UG's forums?

I'm not sure what to tell you. It's not exactly the type of thing that you can just be told how to do online.

Why are you so commitedly unhelpful?
Quote by Roast Beef
Why are you so commitedly unhelpful?

I was helpful - I told him that it's not really something you can just pick up online. Then, in later posts, I went on to give several different avenues he could use to persue this particular craft.

I understand that in the other thread I was a tad bit dick-ish, and deserved the fervent tongue lashing you all gave me, but seriously - here -

What are you - my personal policeman now?

Life goes by?
Quote by Hydra150
It's you
I've built a few amps (10+)....you're not just gonna read online about how to do it and then go out and do it. Go to ax84, buy one of their P1 kits. take your time, figure it out, build it. they have a great guide-you-through-it document that will help tons on your first build.

From there, go and buy a P1-ex or a P1-HO kit and build that. At that stage, if you were able to get both of them to work, you can start in on their Core Series stuff.

I say all of this because that is the road I traveled. I was that kid in middle school and high school that kids picked on because I was working on things like electronics instead of going out and getting drunk, so tube amps (when I started them in college) weren't my first electronics stuff. Given all the background, tubes are so unlike any other electronics that you need the time and background (read: "building kits") before you can just dive in. And having sourced parts for whole builds myself, I can tell you they're not making much money on the kits, it'll be far more easier for you to just buy a kit.

I have to warn you though. Tube amp building is freaking addictive. I was gonna stop on #2. I'm currently doing a layout for #12.
Quote by kcdakrt
DLrocket89 makes my ug experience better!

Member of the official GB&C "Who to Listen to" list

Kit Amp Building Tutorial