As most will know, the Peavey Windsor does not have a clean channel. I found this very strange when I read about this, I really wanted to get this head until I found this bit out. Although I am not much of a clean player, mostly a punk and metal guitarist, I would have loved to have that option; so, is there any kind of effects pedals or something that would give me the luxury of playing a clean tone?
Quote by dudey5691
A volume pedal in front of the amp is going to get you the closest. Also, work on your picking dynamics.

You cannot really replicate a clean channel on that amp, although it cleans up pretty well from what I hear.
Don't expect fender/vox cleans, though.

What would a volume pedal do? And what do you mean by, "cleans up pretty well"?

EDIT: Would the Peavey Valveking be better?
^ The Windsor is British voiced, whereas the VK is American. You'll have a footswitchable clean/distortion channel with the VK, but perhaps not the distorted tone you're looking for (assuming you were looking at the Windsor for a reason...)

EDIT: Adjusting the volume will give you a cleaner sound - try it with your guitar and any distorted amp. If you get a chance to try the windsor, try how it sounds with the volume low on the guitar (not the amp itself). If you find that the cleans are fine like that, you could easily make some kind of stomp-switch volume pedal, creating a pseudo channel switch for the Windsor.
Last edited by Mathamology at Jan 19, 2009,
Quote by SkinnyVampire
What would a volume pedal do? And what do you mean by, "cleans up pretty well"?

EDIT: Would the Peavey Valveking be better?

It can attain a 'somewhat clean' sound considering it's a single channel amp. Although, it's not a 'true' clean, it can get decently close.

The VK and Windsor are two completely different amps. VK is MUCH darker tonally, and has a different gain structure.
Quote by Mathamology
^ The Windsor is British voiced, whereas the VK is American. You'll have a footswitchable clean/distortion channel with the VK, but perhaps not the distorted tone you're looking for (assuming you were looking at the Windsor for a reason...)

i did like it, it sounds marshall-ish ... and im a marshall man that is very poor XD

but im not really TOO bothered as long as the amp is loud and punk worthy
A volume pedal will act a bit like more head room. I've got this amp and it does have cleans just not like a fender or vox. You need to try one out for yourself as we can't really explain tone. For the price it's a great amp (got mine new for $280). It's been described as a poormans JCM 800 and agree with it. Basically you get what you pay for.
Dean Icon PZ
Line 6 Variax 700
Dean V-Wing
Dean ML 79 SilverBurst
MXR M 108
H2O Chorus/Echo
Valve Junior (V3 Head/Cab and Combo)
VHT Special 6
Phonic 620 Power Pod PA
Wampler Super Plextortion
Line 6 Pod HD
or buy that amp, and save for a cheap one for cleans only..switch between them depending on what you are playing.
Quote by RetroGunslinger
this is like comparing a flushing toilet to a hole in the ground
All you have to do is roll off the volume on your guitar. It's really not hard at all to do. No need for a volume pedal, or anything. If you have a good set of pickups that clean up well, most single channel amps should clean up just fine. None of the Marshall amps prior to the early 80s had channel switching and everyone who used them got by just fine. I have a video in my youtube channel of me running a JTM45 (the halfstack) which is a 2 channel plexi, but with non-switchable channels, and all I do to get my clean tones is just turn the volume on my guitar down to 3-4. And if I want a quick switch between the two, I'll put my neck pickup on 3-4 and leave the bridge pickup on 10 and use the pickup selector switch to go between the two, but that only works if you have independent volume controls. In the video it's just guitar straight into the amp, with the amp's volume on 8.

That being said, a volume pedal does not give you more headroom, idk who said that but it does nothing of the sort.
Last edited by al112987 at Jan 19, 2009,
If you like the Marshall sound but are on a budget, I suggest a Peavey Classic. Clean channel with decent cleans and a Marshall-like overdrive channel. The Classic is though a bit more expensive than the Windsor, but if you buy it used you should get a pretty nice deal.
There is nothing wrong with using the volume control on the guitar to achieve a clean sound - I recently did this because I forgot my footswitch. Had the amp on the distortion channel all the time, and controlled it with the guitar.

Having said that, it's nice to have it at the press of a button. This is effectively the same as the volume control on a guitar, but is controlled with a 3DTP switch, meaning it can be bypassed or be selected. This would kind of turn it into a two channel amp, in a sense that it would switch between full volume (distorted) to a cut volume (clean).

You could always put an EQ into the mix, which would give more control over the clean 'channel' too. It's an easy build, will be fun, and give you more control over your amp.

I own a vintage superreverb as well as a new Windsor half-stack. I envy the guy with the AC30, IMHO, they are the only amps that rival Fender for clean tones. I haven't really opened it up all the way yet, but I like the peavey for the "growl" I can get out of it, ala Billy Gibbons at relatively low volume. It ain't exactly pristine, but it ain't all THAT distorted either. I can get a pretty good clean with my standard Strat with either the bridge or bridge/middle pick ups engaged, as well as a whole range of tones from my coil-tapped HH strat.

I'm pretty happy with it, except for the fact that I could have saved about $100 bucks if I had waited a couple of months. $400 plus shipping for a 100 watt tube half-stack and 4x12 cab is a lot of bang for the buck.
i'll get this, i dont really need the clean channel and i'll just do what the guy a few comments above me said and just use my 30 watt Line 6 for the cleans. what cab does everyone think i should get, i heard the standard windsor cab isnt that great