hey, so i saw the former guitarist of arsis do this on a youtube video, he put paper a piece of paper in between his strings at the neck of the guitar so when he sweeped/tapped the strings didn't ring. now obviously this keeps you from normal playing, but is that like... cheating? cuz when i do i can sweep like a mother f**ker because i dont' have to worry about the strings making noise but otherwise it's really messy heh
wait what
lol I guess it would be cool for just messing around but I suggest practicing them normally if you actually want to be good at it
people usually do this while recording to get rid of the ringing. i dont consider it cheating but you shouldnt rely on something like that.
Quote by csn00b
I hate seeing cute girls topless and what not, it just feels wrong.
Its not "cheating", but its not a good practice method. I would practice without it, so that you can play cleanly, and won't need it, as when you play live, you'll probably need your open strings in a song. In the studio its a good idea to use something like that, to make sure the recording is clean, even John Petrucci does this. Another thing to look into is the MAB String Dampener (http://www.angelo.com/html/the_mab_string_dampener.html), which essentially does the same thing, but is easy to move on and off the strings for different song sections, which need it on or off.
I think some people put dampeners on the nut, but I'm not really positive. Either way, try to do it with out. The only person you would be cheating is your self cuz your technique won't be up to par.
yeah i don't practice with it, cuz i understand that's just stupid. but it sure makes you sound impressive haha
wait what
those elastic hair thingys for ponytails...can slide on and off easily.
If you never intend on playing live and never switch directly from playing rhythm to playing lead, then go for it. Otherwise, it's just a training wheel - in the sense that it allows you to sound clean when you otherwise couldn't, not in the sense that you should use it to train.

Watch Michael Romeo tap. He does a good job of muting with his right hand.
Last edited by fixationdarknes at Jan 19, 2009,
MAB uses dampening nuts because of his two hand/guitar tapping technique that would make it physically impossible to dampen them.
Er, Satch does this, Adam Fulara does this, Guthrie freakin Govan does this. There is no cheating. This is music not sport.

If you have to do it it shows up deficiencies in your playing. If you don't, then good for you.
Quote by Freepower
Er, Satch does this, Adam Fulara does this, Guthrie freakin Govan does this. There is no cheating. This is music not sport.

If you have to do it it shows up deficiencies in your playing. If you don't, then good for you.

But the point is that they don't HAVE to and you know it
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
MAB really only needs it when he taps on two guitars simutaniously, otherwise it would ring out too much when he stopped. But there is no such thing as cheating in music. Like everybody else said, I wouldn't use them as a crutch if you use it just to cover up mistakes.
Yea, I don't think it's cheating, but it's not the best way to practice. A lot of musicians do this in studio recordings, like tying a piece of cloth loosely to the neck. It helps them make sweeps, tapping etc. more clean in the recordings.