Well I have been reading and I understand that if I put a 8 ohm speaker in my Crate Flexwave 15R (4 ohm amp) that the volume will decreas.... Whoopy? Its a little to loud then you get up past 7 heck after 7 its a bit to loud now I am asking how much of a volume loss will I lose? Cuase I think it would be neat to hot rod a Crate Flexwave. I mean will it be like a little loss or a big loss? and I want to put in a Eminence Patriot Texas Heat 12 but feed back is appreciated. Thanks guys. Oh and I got some ideas I wnat to work on soon and you guys are the first. Peace \m/
Guitar
Epi Les Paul Standard
Gibson Les Paul Custom
Gretsch Electromatic 5120
Amp
Crate V33H head w/ Berhinger B412S
Effects
Crybaby
Keely BD2
(\__/)
(='.'=) This is my pet bunny. Will you play with my bunny?
(")_(")
I think all that'll happen is that it'll put less watts into 8 ohms, like on the hiwatt bass heads, they run 400w at 4 ohms and 250 and 8 ohms, less wattage doesn't equate to a massive difference in volume.

I'd go with a load-box or an attenuator or something.

I'm not sure how accurate what i just said is, but i think its about right.
lol@u
The better question is, if it's too loud past 7, why not turn it down?

If you're changing the speaker for tonal reasons, though, you may wind up with an even louder amp, even if it's pushing less watts. If the efficiency of the Crate's stock speaker is 97dbm, for example, and the Texas Heat is 100dbm, (I couldn't find the exact spec for either, but I think Eminence speakers are usually around 100dbm), then even if you went with 16 ohms, quartering the power output of the amp, it would still technically be louder.
I thought if you mis-match impedances you could fry your amp?
Well I am changing it for tonal reasons, make a better amp, and so you guys think there won't be much volume diffrenace? Nice to know. So this wont make my amp have like super low volume now will it? If it wont then I am uying one tonight. Also IDK if this can be done otr not but does anyone know of a site where you can read about modding solid state amps?
Guitar
Epi Les Paul Standard
Gibson Les Paul Custom
Amp
Effects
Crybaby
Keely BD2
(\__/)
(")_(")
cause to me that sunds stupid and it would cost more... I am on a limit budget here. And I am going to order it tonight. So when I get it and wire it up I will let you all know.
Guitar
Epi Les Paul Standard
Gibson Les Paul Custom
Amp
Effects
Crybaby
Keely BD2
(\__/)
(")_(")