Hello, I play bass in a power trio (we have a guitarist/lead singer and a drummer) but whenever we practice the guitarist and the drummer constantly argue over song segments when we're writing, which songs to play for shows, and the like. We're all great guys and we understand that we disagree often and none of us want to quit the band, but these arguments really tire all of us out. What can we do as a band, and what can I do, as a bit of an outsider on the issues? I mean, I'm always there for our discussions but I'm never as single-minded or stubborn as the others. Help?
song segments? not really following but if they are arguring over writing let the drummer go in a separate room with some lyrics(whether he writes them or not), make a beat/line, then send a recording to you and the guitarist. then you guys built your riffs and solos off of the drumline, while at the same time the singer makes melodies and stuff. thats how Rush does it, and it seems to work for them.
If a mortal stands before us
Strike him down with sleight of hand.
And if heaven rides against us
Then God himself must be damned.

Computer Science major! Apple enthusiast!
I wear Vibrams and type with Dvorak!
DNA test, it's the only way...

Make band practice more relaxed so everyone can chill out, it'll make them less irritable.

Epiphone Les Paul Standard w/ SD Alnico Pro II's
Fender Aerodyne Telecaster & Stratocaster
Marshall JCM 800 4104 combo

E-Married to Funny_Page
Agree that the third person will act to pick between the two and that the decision is final and not up for debate. Or, as previously mentioned, learn to compromise.
There can only be one chief. The rest are indians.
MINI enthusiast

@stevenpollock

My band: avenueofembers.com
Quote by neverspoiled
thank you stevenpollock..
the only Pit-head thats not a douche bag...right now anyway
=)
let both of them write a song
and no matter how much u/others dislike the song, just play it and record it etc etc...
as for shows, every1 gets 1 or 2 picks.... and again, no matter how much the song sucks, just play it.... keeps every1 happy, if the crowd doesnt like it, then the person will know that they write ****.
Well, the drummer can't exactly write lyrics or song segments, he just has problems with us sometimes when, say, we want to use a certain riff for the verse in a song and he thinks it doesn't fit. He's also very stubborn, so if this riff doesn't work in his mind then it's a life-or-death affair, he thinks it ruins the song and we have to change it. At the same time, though, the guitarist and I see no problem with it, we can see no reason for it not to work.
Quote by slash1890
Well, the drummer can't exactly write lyrics or song segments, he just has problems with us sometimes when, say, we want to use a certain riff for the verse in a song and he thinks it doesn't fit. He's also very stubborn, so if this riff doesn't work in his mind then it's a life-or-death affair, he thinks it ruins the song and we have to change it. At the same time, though, the guitarist and I see no problem with it, we can see no reason for it not to work.

then tell the drummer to piss off....
if anything, just get a new drummer...
or just use a drum machine till u get a drummer
if he cant be open minded, then tell him that he cant be in the band.... simple ....

oh also, tell him, if he doesnt like a riff, then he has to come up with his own riff which would possibly replace the specific riff that he has a problem with.... if he cant, well, too bad for him i guess haha
Last edited by GuitarManNick at Jan 19, 2009,
or you can go The Fall of Troy style and do crazy riffs one after the other, surprising people who think the riff is going to continue. for example : "A Man. A Plan. A Canal. Panama."

that way if the drummer doesnt like something then it will change in the next couple of seconds anyways. Notice how im only using 3 piece bands in my examples, the first one being Rush
If a mortal stands before us
Strike him down with sleight of hand.
And if heaven rides against us
Then God himself must be damned.

Computer Science major! Apple enthusiast!
I wear Vibrams and type with Dvorak!
well it doesnt sound like your in the middle of it...your on the guitarists side. when you say the drummer freaks out and has to change something, but you and the other guitarist see nothing wrong with it...sounds like someone else is out voted.

but yeah like someone else said, if he can write something better then **** let him write something better. but if he cant, then tell him to shut his mouth and keep banging on things.