can some one give me some advice on wat order to connect all my pedals??

these are the effects i have

-wah pedal
- chili dog octaver
-mxr classic 108 fuzz
-Big Muff Pi
-Ibanez smashbox
-Boost/Line driver
-tremolo
-flanger
-delay
really, it's whatever sounds best to you dude.
Experiment, experiment, find the tone that's best for you.

Changing the order of two pedals can drastically effect the tone you come out with.
Though, the only suggestion I make, is to place the wah in front, that's pretty much customary. But like I said, you might love it's tone somewhere else.

I'm afraid there isn't really a straight-forward, cut and dry answer to this question, believe me, it does get asked a lot.
thanks for the answer, ive experimented for quite a bit, heres wat i have now

fx loop = send-tremolo-flanger-delay- booster-return

guitar- octave- fuzz- bigg muff- smashbox - screamin blues overdrive- amp

WAT do u think of my current configuration? any Suggestions?
Quote by guitar_slinger8
thanks for the answer, ive experimented for quite a bit, heres wat i have now

fx loop = send-tremolo-flanger-delay- booster-return

guitar- octave- fuzz- bigg muff- smashbox - screamin blues overdrive- amp

WAT do u think of my current configuration? any Suggestions?

pretty intuitive job, general, anything gain/fuzz/envelop oriented goes in front and anything modulation goes in the loop and it's up to you from there.

I will ask: why have the boost at the end of the chain? What good does it do there? If you want to boost the gain going into the amp, have it before, if you want a stronger signal going to your modulation chain, but it at the front of the effects loop. I just can't foresee much of a reason for having it where you do, unless you have it so high that it somehow makes the other pedals clip when it's in front of them.
Quote by guitar_slinger8
can some one give me some advice on wat order to connect all my pedals??

these are the effects i have

-wah pedal
- chili dog octaver
-mxr classic 108 fuzz
-Big Muff Pi
-Ibanez smashbox
-Boost/Line driver
-tremolo
-flanger
-delay

mxr classic 108 fuzz
Big Muff Pi
Ibanez smashbox
flanger
chili dog octaver
delay
tremolo
Wah (near the end, so you have a more harmonically rich signal to filter, as opposed to 1st where you're only filtering your guitar's pickups going to the rest of your signal chain)
boost (Last, so it doesn't pound the input of your pedals, rather pushes the front of your amp)
Last edited by zachman5150 at Jan 20, 2009,
I'm not a big wah user, but I've played around with mine some and I like the sound of it after the distortion a lot more than before. It's just a matter of whether you want to control the frequency range going into your distortion or whether you want to modify the frequency range of the distortion.

Also, if you aren't using your amp's distortion (which seems to be a reasonable assumption considering all of the distortion boxes you have lined up), you could probably move everything out in front of the amp rather than sticking your modulation effects into the effects loop. You'll get a slightly different sound by placing them before the preamp, but you might want to try it for the sake of experience. I don't currently use my amp's distortion channels at all, so I've got all of my boxes running before the preamp and I'm really happy with the sound.

At the moment, my signal chain looks something like:
guitar -> korg pitchblack -> ehx metal muff -> big muff -> boss bd-2 -> boss ge-7 -> -> boss ph-3 -> volume pedal -> boss rv-3 -> boss dd-6 -> line 6 dl4 -> boss rc-20 -> amp

Then, for recording purposes, I line out of my amp to my computer where I do some cab modeling in Guitar Rig.

Edit:
For the sake of argument, with your pedals, I'd probably do something like this as a starting point and then tweak from there. Obviously you'll want to play with the distortion boxes depending on how you want to use them (for example, I'd want the option to fuzz up my distorted sound some if need be, so I'd put the fuzz at the end of the distortion bit of the chain). Also, you can move the boost around in the chain as you see fit (again, depending on how you want to use it).

guitar -> boost -> ibanez smashbox -> big muff -> mxr fuzz -> wah -> flanger -> octaver -> tremolo -> delay -> amp
Last edited by kylegumby at Jan 20, 2009,
Quote by kylegumby
I'm not a big wah user, but I've played around with mine some and I like the sound of it after the distortion a lot more than before. It's just a matter of whether you want to control the frequency range going into your distortion or whether you want to modify the frequency range of the distortion.

Also, if you aren't using your amp's distortion (which seems to be a reasonable assumption considering all of the distortion boxes you have lined up), you could probably move everything out in front of the amp rather than sticking your modulation effects into the effects loop. You'll get a slightly different sound by placing them before the preamp, but you might want to try it for the sake of experience. I don't currently use my amp's distortion channels at all, so I've got all of my boxes running before the preamp and I'm really happy with the sound.

At the moment, my signal chain looks something like:
guitar -> korg pitchblack -> boss ge-7 -> ehx metal muff -> big muff -> boss bd-2 -> boss ph-3 -> volume pedal -> boss rv-3 -> boss dd-6 -> line 6 dl4 -> boss rc-20 -> amp

Then, for recording purposes, I line out of my amp to my computer where I do some cab modeling in Guitar Rig.

Good points!

My "normal" rig uses the amps gain channel for dirt, and the chain is:

Guitar TU2, Dyna Comp, TS7, amp

Amp's loop (Rocktron Intellifex)

My big rig (Mostly for studio stuff, concerts a few years ago) is a bit more complicated

Quote by zachman5150
Good points!

My "normal" rig uses the amps gain channel for dirt, and the chain is:

Guitar TU2, Dyna Comp, TS7, amp

Amp's loop (Rocktron Intellifex)

My big rig (Mostly for studio stuff, concerts a few years ago) is a bit more complicated

Nice. That's quite the setup you've got there.

I've been looking at the rig database they've got over at GuitarGeek (http://guitargeek.com/browse/) - pretty impressive (and informative) stuff there, too.
Quote by kylegumby
Nice. That's quite the setup you've got there.

I've been looking at the rig database they've got over at GuitarGeek (http://guitargeek.com/browse/) - pretty impressive (and informative) stuff there, too.

Thanks. It's a multi-amp switching w/d/w setup, that really does work well, and sound great.

Here is a pic, though I have had some people express that they don't like when I post pics of it, I guess figuring that I'm trying to show off, but really- if someone expresses an interest, I figure a picture is worth a thousand words

A lot of the stuff at guitar geek is outdated, unfortunatley, but there is some cool info there none the less
That's gorgeous. I'd show that mother off, too.

And yeah, GuitarGeek is definitely outdated. More's the shame. But, when I was trying to get an idea of where to start with my signal chain, it was really informative to see what the professionals do to get their sound. So I was thinking that the OP up there might find it helpful. The more you have to start with to make informed decisions, the less trial and error you have to do.
Quote by kylegumby
That's gorgeous. I'd show that mother off, too.

And yeah, GuitarGeek is definitely outdated. More's the shame. But, when I was trying to get an idea of where to start with my signal chain, it was really informative to see what the professionals do to get their sound. So I was thinking that the OP up there might find it helpful. The more you have to start with to make informed decisions, the less trial and error you have to do.

Thanks... I LOVE it.

ABSOLUTELY!!!! Agree 100%

Here is a wonderful resource re: things to consider when designing/building a rig. I read EVERY word on this site on EVERY link several times before I contacted Bob Bradshaw to build my current rig for me.

IMO, A MUST read for anyone seeking to learn about the condierations that go into a pro rig
Last edited by zachman5150 at Jan 20, 2009,
Excellent resource, zach. I just skimmed the page, but it looks really solid. I'll have to give that a more thorough read-through once work slacks off a little.
Quote by kylegumby
Excellent resource, zach. I just skimmed the page, but it looks really solid. I'll have to give that a more thorough read-through once work slacks off a little.

I got a lot of ideas from reading the info there. Hope it proves as useful for you as it did me.
wah pedal
chili dog octaver
flanger
mxr classic 108 fuzz
Big Muff Pi
Ibanez smashbox
tremolo
Delay
Boost/Line driver

thats the way I would work it
thanks guys!!! aprreciate the help ive tweaked everything a bit an this how everything looks now

fx loop = send-booster-delay- flange-tremolo-return

guitar- wah- screaming blues overdrive-octave- fuzz- bigg muff- smashbox- amp

if some people are questioning why im putting my booster in my loop, it is because when i had the booster(Boost/ LIne driver) infront of the amp and tried boosting my amps dirty channel it had no effect on it , but after much experimented i found that the problem was fixed by putting it on the loop.