Page 1 of 2
here's my guitar at the 12th fret:

here it is at the last fret:

here is where I think the problem is, it looks as if its bent upwards making the strings elevated. no?

how can I fix this if it is a problem? its really hard to sweep with the strings so far from the fret board down at the higher

also sorry about the image size
ah big pics...
its called bad action
your needs to be way lower

edit : waits for someone who knows what there talking about
BLUE
RED
YELLOW
Lower the bridge yo
Gear:

Epiphone Les Paul Custom
Traynor YCV40 Custom Valve Combo Amp
Crybaby GCB-95 Wah
Boss DD-3 Digital Delay
Digitech RP-50
You need to go WAY lower on your action thats REALLY high
Ibanez RG7321
Jackson Randy Rhoads V with Floyd Rose
Peavey Valveking 112
Digitech RP70 Guitar Processor
you need to lower your action at the bridge
Gear

Ibanez RG1451 (Bareknuckle Aftermath bridge, Cold Sweat neck)
Jackson DK2T(Bareknuckle Miracle Man bridge,SD Jazz neck)
Ibanez RG321mh(SD JB bridge)
Epiphone SG-400,
Ibanez RG370DX,
Vintage V6

Pod X3 into KRK RP8 G2's
what they said. how can you be a member for so long and not know how to adjust your action?!
If a mortal stands before us
Strike him down with sleight of hand.
And if heaven rides against us
Then God himself must be damned.

Computer Science major! Apple enthusiast!
I wear Vibrams and type with Dvorak!
Increase the tension on the bridge by tightening the screws in the back until it's parallel with the body. You will have to tighten then retune and repeat that a couple times to get it right

good luck
www.myspace.com/diectomy
You need to loosen the screws in the back. Behind the cover, then re tune. Keep trying until the bridge sits horizontal with the neck.
can you guys elaborate on how 2 lower it... i have the same guitar, and the same problem.... and like TS said, sweepings a b*tch....
my bridge is leveled tho....
Add a trem spring and that should fix your tilted bridge problem?
Founder of the EHX Users Guild
My Photography

Quote by Kyle-Rehm
Please don't tell me I'm the only one that clicked this thread thinking I would learn how to make my guitar sound like a grizzly bear.
Holy crap, that's so high you should get a medal for being able to play it.
Quote by MooshMooshMarc
I didnt have anything planned out, and I didn't know **** about improvising, so it was like "OH SHI- SOLO TIME" so I kerry-kinged it.
Quote by Killedelphia19
can you guys elaborate on how 2 lower it... i have the same guitar, and the same problem.... and like TS said, sweepings a b*tch....
my bridge is leveled tho....

adjust the truss rod. straighten out the neck. this may be completely wrong though because i casnt see the pics...
If a mortal stands before us
Strike him down with sleight of hand.
And if heaven rides against us
Then God himself must be damned.

Computer Science major! Apple enthusiast!
I wear Vibrams and type with Dvorak!
Well, first off, what kind of guitar is it? Certian guitars (Gibsons, some B.C. Riches) tend to have higher action than others (such as Fenders, Ibanezes, etc). It doesn't look to be too bad, especially in comparison to say, my Gibson (in my sig). That being said, I haven't played it, and don't know what guitar it is, so I can't really tell you whether it's too bad or not.

If it's giving you problems, or you would just like it lowered, it's easy to have done, just go to your local music shop and have them lower the bridge for you. That should solve the dilemma. Otherwise, I think it LOOKS fine. As always, just do what seems right to you.
My Old Progressive Metal Band:
Acrasia
For fans of Between The Buried and Me, Dream Theater, Cynic.

My New Progressive Rock/Djent Band:
Wings Denied
For fans of Deftones, Tesseract, Periphery, Karnivool, Cynic.
What gauge strings are you using? You may need to add additional springs to your bridge. At least, that's all I had to do when my bridge looked like this. Mine was caused by having 3 springs and using 11's.
my action is the same as yours and i can play fine, on a related note can you lower the action on a tune-o-matic bridge without having to re-intonate it?
hahaha i cant believe this, ive been playing it like this since day one i think. thats so weird. is there like a guide anywhere that can show me what i have to do? i dont wanna screw something up.
Quote by Herotime
You need to loosen the screws in the back. Behind the cover, then re tune. Keep trying until the bridge sits horizontal with the neck.

Wouldn't he have to tighten them? Loosening them would create less tension and cause the bridge to tilt even more. Do you even use the trem? If not you could always block it off.
Founder of the EHX Users Guild
My Photography

Quote by Kyle-Rehm
Please don't tell me I'm the only one that clicked this thread thinking I would learn how to make my guitar sound like a grizzly bear.
was it always like this? or did you switch to higher gauge strings? that causes more tension and can make the bridge lift. Happened to me before and i just added another tension spring/claw spring to the bridge

edit

What gauge strings are you using? You may need to add additional springs to your bridge. At least, that's all I had to do when my bridge looked like this. Mine was caused by having 3 springs and using 11's.

beaten to it
Last edited by downey17 at Jan 19, 2009,
i have no idea what gauge my strings are, i had my dad bring it in to guitar center and the guy asked him what strings i wanted and my dad said just something standard

also for future references, what gauge should i get for metal/sweeping/fast solos. or is it a personal choice for every and i should try some strings till i find the one i like?
Quote by Brian 1.0

The action on my Squier is 2 times that and I still like to play it.
ಠ_ಠ
Quote by gtrplyr
i have no idea what gauge my strings are, i had my dad bring it in to guitar center and the guy asked him what strings i wanted and my dad said just something standard

also for future references, what gauge should i get for metal/sweeping/fast solos. or is it a personal choice for every and i should try some strings till i find the one i like?

i would just add another spring to the bridge then. Strings are personal preferance but if you don't drop tune past Drop C much maybe .10s? my preference
Quote by downey17
i would just add another spring to the bridge then. Strings are personal preferance but if you don't drop tune past Drop C much maybe .10s? my preference

also is there any website that can explain this stuff in detail more? i have no idea what im doing

i play in drop D/drop C so ill give those a try
adding a spring is pretty simple. just loosen your strings a bit first. take off the backplate and add a spring in beside the ones already there. careful because there's alot of tension in the springs and i wrecked my hand doing it before
Does that string height actually make playing uncomfortable/mess up the intonation? Because, contrary to what most people are saying, it isn't necessarily a bad thing. I have my action set that high because I like it.
Quote by XxLloydxX
How young would you consider no-pedo attempt
If you think the action on that guitar is high, you should see my acoustic.
My Gear:
Ibanez ART300 electric
Peavey Vypyr 75 watt combo amp
Yamaha FG-130 acoustic

There is no God.
You probably dont even need to add a spring. Just tighten the 2 screws in the claw, that will bring it level. If they're already in all the way, then you need to add a spring.
my g-400 also has pretty high action, but when I lower the bridge at some of the frets it buzzes much more than the note actually sounds...so I have to higher the bridge, do you guys know what I can do? do I need to loosen the truss rod?
Quote by RetroGunslinger
this is like comparing a flushing toilet to a hole in the ground
Quote by Brian 1.0

Mine's higher, medal please.

Anyway, you just need to tighten the screws in the back of your guitar (the cavity), if they're tightened all the way, you're going to have to get new springs to put into the claw and then you should be good to go, they're not expensive, really cheap, just make sure you get good quality springs or they won't pull as much as they would with good ones and they might wear out faster.
Quote by Lethal Dosage
You need to go WAY lower on your action thats REALLY high

It's not that high. My strings are slightly higher than his, and I can play 4-string sweeps fine. Plus, I can play Holy Wars by Megadeth with maybe 1 mistake in the entire song. The mistake usually being the open e and b string part if I'm spaced out.

Honestly, if you ask me, String height shouldn't be an excuse for anything unless you're playing crazy Jason Becker stuff. Or pretty much anything as fast as him (High tempos, crazy fast sweeps, etc.)
Quote by satchgear
I tried it out in store.

Great neck, nice n light, good tuning stability. Overall a good guitar. I didn't but it cause I generally only buy guitars over a grand now.
Quote by ThisILove
Lower the bridge yo

The exact words I was about to say. Exact.

DON'T PANIC! DON'T PANIC!
THEY DON'T LIKE IT UP 'EM!
Quote by V.U.K
It's not that high. My strings are slightly higher than his, and I can play 4-string sweeps fine. Plus, I can play Holy Wars by Megadeth with maybe 1 mistake in the entire song. The mistake usually being the open e and b string part if I'm spaced out.

Honestly, if you ask me, String height shouldn't be an excuse for anything unless you're playing crazy Jason Becker stuff. Or pretty much anything as fast as him (High tempos, crazy fast sweeps, etc.)

Serrana and Perpetual Burn spring to mind.
Quote by XianXiuHong
Serrana and Perpetual Burn spring to mind.

5th Caprice, Speed Metal Symphony and Concerto too.

On 5th Caprice he was hitting 22nps at a certain point.

Jesus, I ****ing love Jason Becker. It's a shame he has ALS though. Moar stem cell research, I say. He and Steven Hawkings should be first in line for treatment.
Quote by satchgear
I tried it out in store.

Great neck, nice n light, good tuning stability. Overall a good guitar. I didn't but it cause I generally only buy guitars over a grand now.
First, tighten the springs in the back.

Second, lower the action at the saddles.

If you're getting fret buzz or still have high action high up on the neck, adjust the truss rod.
Quote by V.U.K
5th Caprice, Speed Metal Symphony and Concerto too.

On 5th Caprice he was hitting 22nps at a certain point.

Jesus, I ****ing love Jason Becker. It's a shame he has ALS though. Moar stem cell research, I say. He and Steven Hawkings should be first in line for treatment.

Aww dude, Speed Metal Symphony's absolutely impossible to play, the speed's fine for me but the patterns he plays are so difficult.

I love Concerto, first Cacophony piece I was able to play.

I really hope he gets better one day and can rip it up again.
Wow, my strings are just about that high. Too bad mine is pretty much impossible to fix =/ Oh well, I've gotten used to it.
[quote="'[VictorinoX"]']
There are people in this world who don't feel it necessary to vomit sunshine 24 hours a day. I'm one of them.

Current Gear
Yamaha EG 112
Esteban American Legacy
Jay Turser JTB-400M
Fender Frontman 212R
Effects
DigitTech RP50
Bad advice so far in this thread for the most part without knowing all the details.

First off threadstarter, take a picture of the top of the bridge so we can see what type it is then take off the back plastic cover and take a picture of your spring cavity to see the position of your claw. If its already pretty close to the guitar body and can't be tightened that much more add another spring. Loosen strings first of course when you do this.

Also, do you want your bridge to float like that of do you want it to sit flat against the body which will actually increase tone and sustain a bit. Also from the pictures I wouldn't say your action is all that high. I wonder how much buzz most get here if they consider that very high. Lowering the bridge's a$$ by tightening the claw screws or adding another spring if needed will lower your action. So don't go messing around with the 2 pivot post screws trying to adjust it that way. Wait till you get the bridges a$$ down first then worry about where you are with the action.
2003 Music Man Axis Pacific Blue Burst
Is that action really THAT high? It looks like it's about as high as i set mine up on all of my guitars.I don't know,I just hate not being able to really dig under my strings and having no play in them.

WARNING!: THIS USER HAS BEEN KNOWN TO BE AN OPINIONATED ASS. ALWAYS USE CAUTION WHEN READING POSTS AND NEVER USE NEAR AN OPEN FLAME.USE ONLY AS DIRECTED.KEEP OUT OF REACH OF CHILDREN.

Quote by XianXiuHong
Aww dude, Speed Metal Symphony's absolutely impossible to play, the speed's fine for me but the patterns he plays are so difficult.

I love Concerto, first Cacophony piece I was able to play.

I really hope he gets better one day and can rip it up again.

Definately.

God damn, I wish ALS was as big as a research thing as cancer. The smartest guy in the world has ALS, yet there are like, 2 ALS research facilities on the planet. ._.
Quote by satchgear
I tried it out in store.

I like DSOTM80's advice. Strat style bridges are more stable when sitting flat against the top and while you won't get pitch raises out of one that's flat, it'll dive more as total travel is limited to a degree.
You should have 3 springs on as a minimum and 4 if you've got heavy guage strings. So with three springs, you should be able to adjust the screws in the cavity to pull the bridge down.
When that's done..... Check your neck relief first and make sure it's not bowed too much (Fret 1st fret & 17th at same time and observe gap between fret crowns and bottom of string). For Srats 0.004 - 0.012 inches is considered normal.
Your action doesn't look that high to me to be honest! My LP measures 4/64ths at the 12th fret from the fret crown to the bottom of the string and it's fine. Remember, Strats have a smaller radius neck (7-1/2 or 9 inches commonly) and low action will fret out easier when bending strings due to the more pronounced curve of the fretboard. Lots of Blues Masters who use Strats have pretty high action too.
If it's still to high for you, lower the saddles on each string and try to keep the same radius of the bridge as the fingerboard.
Moving on.....
Last edited by KenG at Jan 19, 2009,
Page 1 of 2