Page 1 of 2
I have to write a persuasive essay on the most important organ of the body...

Heart, Skin or Liver?

My teacher told me there was a right and wrong answer which didnt make sense to me because you would die without any one of them. She told me the answer would become obvious once I started researching but it is not obvious.

Help.
"Bullshit is the glue that binds this nation together."
-George Carlin

The Human Fund: $0.00
PM me to donate
i'm guessing heart...
i don't know, i'm not a biologist...

though it could be skin...
argh...
i don't know...

sorry..
:P
I'd say skin. Heart and Liver could be substituted with machines.

....... Maybe

ಠ_ಠ

wat

Skin - Protective, insulating, provides a means of excretion.

Liver - Processes toxins, cleanses what you eat.

Heart - Your cells need oxygen. The heart pumps blood to every inch of your body. If your heart stops, you stop.

Guess which one you CANNOT live without...
Quote by denizenz
I'll logic you right in the thyroid.

Art & Lutherie
Of a human body or just in general?

Because all complex organisms have a "skin" but not all of them require hearts and/or liver.

All 3 are essential to a human body. It's a bit of a retarded question.
Quote by freedoms_stain
Of a human body or just in general?

Because all complex organisms have a "skin" but not all of them require hearts and/or liver.

All 3 are essential to a human body. It's a bit of a retarded question.

I think he is talking about humans. We can go on without skins and some beneficiary adaptations might make the liver less important, but our heart is key.
Quote by denizenz

Art & Lutherie
Have you seen the asian ass pron thread? they have a thread dedicated to math and science, but it probably wont get answered. just putting that out there.

Heart
MY GEAR!
Amp
-Peavey Classic 30
Guitars
-Silverburst Epiphone Les Paul Custom
-Squier Stratocaster
Pedals
-Ibanez TS9DX Turbo Tube Screamer
-Fender PT-100
-MXR Phase 90
-Fuzz Face Clone
-MXR Carbon Copy
Quote by darkstar2466
I think he is talking about humans. We can go on without skins and some beneficiary adaptations might make the liver less important, but our heart is key.

You'd need a f*ckload of those beneficiary adaptations to make the liver less important. However, it's integral to so many processes I doubt it will be rendered unimportant. It has many more functions than people generally know of. You will die without a liver, which is a fact. You'd also die without the adrenal cortex.
Its about humans... and now I realize that the paper says "tell which organ is most important based on which one has the most functions for homeostasis.
-George Carlin

PM me to donate
Without the heart, the other organs can't keep fulfilling their original functions. Eventually the lack of liver would kill you, but until then your heart and skin would keep functioning.

edit:

Specifically, wouldn't our skin give us the most advantage over other mammals thus making it the most important for us? Sweating FTW, suck it chimps.
Last edited by Godsmack_IV at Jan 19, 2009,
Quote by Deliriumbassist
You'd need a f*ckload of those beneficiary adaptations to make the liver less important. However, it's integral to so many processes I doubt it will be rendered unimportant. It has many more functions than people generally know of. You will die without a liver, which is a fact. You'd also die without the adrenal cortex.

Im pretty sure the answer is liver.
-George Carlin

PM me to donate
Quote by darkstar2466
Without skin we'd be open season for all the bacteria and viruses going though. And nowhere to store fat. No sweat glands, not that we'd need them cus we'd be freakin freezing all the time. And we'd all be ugly.

The liver produces tons of enzymes we need for energy metabolism and homeostasis.

The heart pumps oxygenated blood.

They're all essential.

Obvious answer is heart if we're talking human/animal.
Quote by Deliriumbassist

I was referring to it in the sense how our digestive appendix has evolved to be of no use to us. Most parts in the human body are very specialized for their tasks and we can't operate without them.
Quote by denizenz

Art & Lutherie
The paper says based on HOW MANY functions. The heart has one major one. The skin has like 3 obvious ones. The liver has over 500.
-George Carlin

PM me to donate
my skin is gone! *dies*

my heart is gone! *dies*

my liver is gone! *dies*

so yeaaaah... can't really tell you anything more
Quote by B4Dkarma
Its about humans... and now I realize that the paper says "tell which organ is most important based on which one has the most functions for homeostasis.

Well, the liver controls a lot of metabolic homeostasis. In fact, the liver has most metabolic functions associated with it than any other organ in the body. However, the heart is the biggie in cardiovascular homeostasis, and without cardiovascular homeostasis, none of the other forms of homeostasis can be controlled, as homeostasis is heavily governed by feedback systems found in the hypothalamus, to name one region, and the transport of hormones.
Should I site the pit in my list of sources?

haha I think I actually will.
-George Carlin

PM me to donate
Quote by B4Dkarma
The paper says based on HOW MANY functions. The heart has one major one. The skin has like 3 obvious ones. The liver has over 500.
Ok, well woulda been useful to know that from the start.
In a direct analogy to computers, you can have an awesome collection of peripherals attached to your motherboard, but without a processor, nothing runs. It's the same way with humans. What good is just a brain? You need the peripherals too.

If your question is asking for one specific organ, you should write "This question is retared." and turn it in.
Quote by denizenz

Art & Lutherie
Quote by B4Dkarma

Then the paper is irrelevant and a waste of your time. Importance cannot be determined by quantity. Importance of something of this nature should only be based on the effect on the body.
Quote by darkstar2466
Skin - Protective, insulating, provides a means of excretion.

Liver - Processes toxins, cleanses what you eat.

Heart - Your cells need oxygen. The heart pumps blood to every inch of your body. If your heart stops, you stop.

Guess which one you CANNOT live without...

all of them. durrr
Quote by darkstar2466
In a direct analogy to computers, you can have an awesome collection of peripherals attached to your motherboard, but without a processor, nothing runs. It's the same way with humans. What good is just a brain? You need the peripherals too.

If your question is asking for one specific organ, you should write "This question is retared." and turn it in.

Wat.
Quote by priest.fan.
all of them. durrr

In a human body, you need the heart and lungs to motivate cellular respiration. But as a human, you are nothing without your brain monitoring your body and triggering all of the feedback mechanisms that keep the rest of the body under homeostasis.

If I had to pick an order of importance, it would be (1) Heart/Lungs (2) Brain (3) Rest
Quote by denizenz

Art & Lutherie
Last edited by darkstar2466 at Jan 19, 2009,
I think we can all agree that the flaw in all of this is the title of the paper. The teacher is asking for a quantitative analysis and asking which organ is more important, which is frankly a stupid thing to do. Obviously all three are essential to human life and homeostasis in normal conditions, however, giving that answer doesn't answer the question set, because then it's a qualititative analysis.

TS, slap your teacher and tell her the Pit shall be taking over her classes for the rest of the semester.
Without Skin all your muscles will be completely exposed (not the good kind of muscle)

Without your heart you can't get blood through your body so yeah

As for the Liver:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1jDRqpTmWmo
VERY METAL!
\m/
RIP Ronnie James Dio

Quote by metaldud536
RazorTheAwesome, if I was a Ditto, I'd transform into YOU

Quote by Kensai
Basically god wanted to punish people for getting educated/eating apples.

Quote by Jackal58
We all desire a little pussy.
Quote by Deliriumbassist
I think we can all agree that the flaw in all of this is the title of the paper. The teacher is asking for a quantitative analysis and asking which organ is more important, which is frankly a stupid thing to do. Obviously all three are essential to human life and homeostasis in normal conditions, however, giving that answer doesn't answer the question set, because then it's a qualititative analysis.

TS, slap your teacher and tell her the Pit shall be taking over her classes for the rest of the semester.

We can make them memorize and draw the Krebs cycle.
Quote by denizenz

Art & Lutherie
Quote by darkstar2466

I wouldn't wish that on anybody.

Can we include glycolysis, pyruvate oxidation and oxidative phosphorylation onto the Kreb's Cycle memorising task, including all the intermediates? If I had to do it, I'm gonna make damn well sure everyone else I end up teaching has to do the same.
Quote by Deliriumbassist

lol I could see a class full of kids looking at a monitor placed in front where we would update the class plan in this thread.
Quote by Deliriumbassist

as a whole, the Pit is actually pretty freaking smart! I've learned tons of things here.

sadly, I've been drunk 90% of the time so i can't remember anything, but I KNOW I learned SOMETHING.
Quote by Deliriumbassist
Then the paper is irrelevant and a waste of your time. Importance cannot be determined by quantity. Importance of something of this nature should only be based on the effect on the body.

thats what Im saying. but whatever Ill just write the stupid paper.

EDIT: I will tell her about my experience here in the pit.

EDIT 2: Im a sophomore in high school... btw.
-George Carlin

PM me to donate
Last edited by B4Dkarma at Jan 19, 2009,
Quote by Deliriumbassist
I wouldn't wish that on anybody.

Can we include glycolysis, pyruvate oxidation and oxidative phosphorylation onto the Kreb's Cycle memorising task, including all the intermediates? If I had to do it, I'm gonna make damn well sure everyone else I end up teaching has to do the same.

Been there, done that. Was the reason I chose Aerospace Engineering over Biomedicine. Turbojet cycles are more fun than the CA Cycle anyway, plus, if you drop that "turbojet" in conversation, you'll have more women crawling over you than the IDF over Gaza. Whereas with "Krebs" people simply assume you were being indiscreet about your itchy pubes.
Quote by darkstar2466
Thats one of those things I have expunged from my mind, along with Protein structure, names, codes and charges.
Quote by freedoms_stain
Thats one of those things I have expunged from my mind, along with Protein structure, names, codes and charges.

Same here. Who the hell wants to remember crazy cyles and protein stuctures (if you are not going to be in academia)...
Quote by denizenz

Art & Lutherie
Quote by LordBishek
Also, Biology is for losers.

STFU.

Computer Architecture >= Math >= Physics >= Biology >= Chemistry > rest.
Quote by denizenz

Art & Lutherie
Page 1 of 2